2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Not Backpacking Related, Galaxy S# Vs Note 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good morning all.  Will be getting a new phone here in about 2 weeks.  Think I have it drilled down to 2 phones.  Looking like the Galaxy S3 or the Galaxy Note 2.  Have played with the S3 some and like it however have not played with the Note 2.  However was wonder if the Note would be better.  Like the bigger screen, supposedly better battery life, and the quad core processor over the dual core.  However it is about 100 buck more when I renew just wonder if the size will be a hassle as well if I want to spend the extra cash.  Any one have any experience with these two phones.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do. I have the exact same debate. I went down and played with both phones in person.

The Galaxy S3 is the top selling phone right now and is touted to be better than anything on the market.

However, I really want screen real estate. I don't want to purchase a tablet and a phone and the Note II is just that. It's so big, you might as well call it a tablet. It ain't gonna be fitting in your pants pocket.

I use it for a specific purpose - Remote access into my client's computers while travelling to fix things like viruses. I can do it on my smaller phone (Droid Incredible) but wish for a larger screen. The added benefit of running two apps (taking notes while on a phone call for instance) would be that much better for running my business. There's a new version of the Galaxy Note II that will be a bit less expensive. I am waiting to see what all the differences are as it should be released soon.

That said, The Galaxy S3 screen isn't exactly anything to scoff at. I can understand why it's so popular.

Let me be clear. The screen on the Note II is shockingly huge. If you want a phone that is pushing to be a tablet, the Note II is your baby. If you want screen size that is bigger than most phones on the market but still clearly a phone, I'd lean toward the S3.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could you tell if there was much of a noticeable difference in the processors.  Have to wonder if a Quad is really needed for what I will be doing.  I do often run a couple app at the same time but nothing as resource intensive as what you are doing?  Also what software do you like for remote access to PCs.

I have also looked at the HTC DNA.  Don't like the fact that I cant open it up and replace the battery.  So far have had good look with Galaxy products.  I love the clarity and brightness of the Samsung screens.  That is really one of the biggest factors in staying with a Galaxy product.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems the issue is whether you'll want to use it as a telephone, i.e. talk into it or use it as a mobile computer*, holding a tablet up to your head doesn't seem all that practical and so few people use bluetooth earpieces for a reason.... Or if mobility is an overall issue: pocketsize versus, well, not.

For general running around if it doesn't fit in my pocket it's useless: specs or no specs. Though one spec I do pay attention to is battery life, which tends to be better with the non-replaceable batteries since they can squish them in at a more efficient weight and volume. though given today's ubiquity of wall outlets and todays charger's tiny size that's not the deal breaker it used to be (I never turn off anything any more to try and "save" battery).

Plus Samsung sells their screens to most everybody so that wouldn't be a real life limiting factor....

* And if the need is for a mobile computer then a 4G cellular data capable tablet (perhaps just a smaller one) seems more logical from an expense standpoint as while you'd pay for data usage you wouldn't be saddled with that very expensive voice plan that keeps you handcuffed for years at a time... getting the wider communications coverage versusWiFi only without the huge expense of a voice plan.
 Post Number: 5
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the S3 and my Dad has the Note. We both LOVE our own phone. That said, the Note is significantly bigger than the S3 (or any other smart phone) but the actual screen itself hardly looks bigger. It appears that there is more unused "border" around the screen of the Note. I would recommend the S3 over the Note just because the overall size of the Note is really too big to hold like a cell phone (just my humble opinion).

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't notice any difference in regards to performance. There really isn't any apps besides maybe a game or such that might push a dual core proc. In other words, I wouldn't consider the Quad core to be a deciding factor.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had the S3 since launch and am a quasi android developer. Performance wise, I don't think you'll see too much a difference between the two. Both are beasts and will handle whatever you throw at it. Don't worry there.

IMO, what you need to be looking at is if you really need the additional functionality of the note. The s-pen is cool and all, but is it really necessary for your needs to give up on the portability and increased cost? The note is indeed quite large (waay to big for me). Supposedly the note has better battery life, but that is such a user dependent I don't put too much weight into what anyone says.

Keep in mind,  the S3 is also slated to get the 'premium suite upgrade' at some point to add dual app,  etc. functionality that the note has. Both phones have good development communities behind them if you're into that.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that it necessarily matters but isn't the S4 due out within a month or two?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all.  I use my current phone more as a tablet then I do a phone.  Think last month I had 15 minutes talk time, and maybe 40 text message and that included the once a day notice I get from my bank.  I really use to get on line, as a GPS unit in the car.  In short not so much for communication but as a internet device.  Yes I really do have no social life. Was at first thinking the Note 2 maybe worth the extra case for the processor and the larger screen would be nice.  Think now I will do the S3 as it will cost an extra $150 or so to get the note.  Thinking if the S4 does come out when it is supposed to may look at it or one thing that would be nice would drive down the price of the S3.

One more question for S3 Verizon had Jellybean been pushed out or will I have to root and flash to Cyanogen to get Jellybean.  I have it on my Nexus Tablet love it.
 Post Number: 10
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Verizon has 4.1 jellybean. Will it get 4.2? Boy I sure hope so. I've really enjoyed the touchwhiz features on the s3, especially the camera and s-beam (video/pic sharing like in the commercial). Camera has panorama, hdr, selective coloring, share shot, and more. It's really great. First android device I've stuck with stock (still rooted and tweaked). It's really been an enjoyable device to use.
9 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 10:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Not Backpacking Related
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions