2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Misbehaving on airplanes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
big_load Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't end up like this guy.   Flying as much as I do, I've seen a few people arrested before takeoff or after landing, and whole bunch more get awful close to it.  I've never seen one anything like that, though.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For years now, I have carried plastic cable ties for odd repairs and such.  I have thought about using them in these sorts of occasions.  Not had to yet.

On a side note, I would think that binding his hands and feet, then buckling him into the seat and taping over the seat belt release would have done the job.  In fact, I bet one could find volunteers to sit across the aisle from him to insure he stayed put.  :)  It is a long flight from Iceland to NY, so I do not fault anyone for  not putting up with his sort.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke is probably right, but the tape over his mouth was a nice touch, and probably appreciated by his fellow passengers.  
Made me laugh.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 04 2013, 3:54 pm)
Flying as much as I do, I've seen a few people arrested before takeoff or after landing, and whole bunch more get awful close to it.  I've never seen one anything like that, though.

I've been on hundreds and hundreds of flights -- and never once witnessed even a raised voice from anyone!  Sigh...   :D

But back to topic... how humiliating for an adult to be tied up like that.  Some people just cannot handle alcohol...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Jan. 04 2013, 4:03 pm)
Zeke is probably right, but the tape over his mouth was a nice touch, and probably appreciated by his fellow passengers.  
Made me laugh.

Taping over his mouth is only funny until he pukes and drowns.

So, all near him would need to be attentive.  Not saying he didn't need to be quieted.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Jan. 04 2013, 7:03 pm)
Made me laugh.

Where is the like button? Great use of duct tape!
 Post Number: 7
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I can certainly see how someone might require a few pills and some booze to calm their anxiety for a flight...sounds like this guy went a bit too far!

The best flights are the ones into Vegas...usually like a party bus in the air!  And depending on what time you leave, the departure flights are also usually pretty interesting - people either party up to departure time or are severely hungover!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An ejection port would have come in handy....

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jan. 04 2013, 8:22 pm)
Taping over his mouth is only funny until he pukes and drowns.

So, all near him would need to be attentive.  Not saying he didn't need to be quieted.

Yes, I thought the mouth tape was too risky.  Even if he doesn't puke, it's too easy for insufficient nasal air flow, a panic attack, or some other event to suffocate him.

I'd even be concerned about the effects of binding his limbs for too long.

However, I can well imagine the need to shut somebody up.
 Post Number: 10
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was my first thought.  If he had died it would have been much worse.  

Though maybe he normally has to pay extra for that level of humiliation so this may have been the best flight of his life.
 Post Number: 11
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The photo of this guy is on the front page of MSN right now.   Humiliation for sure!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jan. 05 2013, 1:17 am)
The photo of this guy is on the front page of MSN right now.   Humiliation for sure!

It was on the TV news tonight, too, only they blurred out his face. It will take a while to live this down.
 Post Number: 13
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't be that guy.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too much to drink huh....... I hope he didn't have to pee.
 Post Number: 15
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looked like pretty classy duct tape
I'm going to the store now

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's ironic that I carry handcuffs most of the time that I'm duty, at least flex ties.  Because of airline security this would have been one place where I likely wouldn't have had them.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 17
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No worries, Jim, per the article:  "a spokesman for the airline confirmed the incident to Icelandic media, adding that plastic ties and tape are standard on board flights to help in such situations.".

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 18
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IIRC, in my father's 33 year airline career he had to kick someone off the plane a total of two times...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 05 2013, 10:08 pm)
IIRC, in my father's 33 year airline career he had to kick someone off the plane a total of two times...

That's a good record.  I wish I was that lucky.
 Post Number: 20
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 05 2013, 10:32 pm)

I think absolute zero is still absolute in the context of a closed system.  These states are only possible using large infusions of energy to maintain the metastable states.  The larger the "negative" temperature attributable to the heat energy of the metastable matter, the more external energy is needed to maintain it.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:32 pm)

He retired in 89' so perhaps its more a commentary on the world becoming less civil.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 9:14 pm)

I think absolute zero is still absolute in the context of a closed system.  These states are only possible using large infusions of energy to maintain the metastable states.  The larger the "negative" temperature attributable to the heat energy of the metastable matter, the more external energy is needed to maintain it.

Have another!

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 05 2013, 11:18 pm)

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 9:14 pm)

Have another!

I think RanD was affected by the altitude.  Or maybe it was the cold.
 Post Number: 24
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 11:14 pm)

Well, at least you plagiarized from a smart person.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BL, who you flying for?

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 06 2013, 5:48 pm)

BL, who you flying for?

I'm just a frequent business passenger.  My neighborhood is popular with flight crews, though, since it's a reasonably-priced area within commuting distance of EWR.

I fly mostly on Continental/United.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.

The several counties surrounding NYC in NJ/NY and CT have always been loaded with airline people for sure...

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had one flight where my wife and i were sitting along with this guy who was drunk and belligerent. What does the flight attendant do to try to keep him calm? Offer him more booze.

My wife and I switched seats to put me next to this clown which made him calm down slightly. After a while I told the FA that it wasn't a very good idea and asked what the policy was on this. She stammered a bit nervously and couldn't get away from us fast enough so I took it into my own hands. I grabbed his drink, dumped it on the floor and told him if he were to move or speak for the rest of the flight, I would use my elbow to remove every last tooth in his mouth and relocate his nose for him.

I don't think they really knew what to do in that situation.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lorax @ Jan. 07 2013, 6:53 am)
I had one flight where my wife and i were sitting along with this guy who was drunk and belligerent. What does the flight attendant do to try to keep him calm? Offer him more booze.

My wife and I switched seats to put me next to this clown which made him calm down slightly. After a while I told the FA that it wasn't a very good idea and asked what the policy was on this. She stammered a bit nervously and couldn't get away from us fast enough so I took it into my own hands. I grabbed his drink, dumped it on the floor and told him if he were to move or speak for the rest of the flight, I would use my elbow to remove every last tooth in his mouth and relocate his nose for him.

I don't think they really knew what to do in that situation.

I like it!

Have to say, I find it hard to believe a FA on a major carrier would have acted that way... but I've been wrong before.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I coming back from Mexico several times have had people be drunk and obnoxious but nothing this bad. Although I would have loved to do that to some of the ones we had on our flights.
33 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 6:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Misbehaving on airplanes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions