2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mountain lion dies in Saguaro National Park< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountain lion struck by car dies in Saguaro National Park West

I caught a glimpse of the west end of an east bound cat off of the Roadrunner Trail out there 6 weeks ago from about 70 yards.
Probably the same animal.
Kind of sad

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got any idea what the speed limit is along that stretch of road? I'd guess the odds are fairly high that the vehicle was speeding.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty sure it's 35mph. But, the road is kind of remote and, well, you know how most drivers are. I doubt they were going 35.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sad to hear.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, it's posted at 35, but has some knarley 10mph curves
People generally drive too fast thru there

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 05 2013, 1:04 pm)

That's for sure.  It's hard if you're trying to gawk at the flora and geology, because somebody always comes out of nowhere to ride your tail.  Poor kitty.   :(
 Post Number: 7
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 05 2013, 9:24 am)
Got any idea what the speed limit is along that stretch of road? I'd guess the odds are fairly high that the vehicle was speeding.

I would not bet on such. Many animals jump in front of cars in a way that it cannot be avoided.  Especially at night and I assume that was at night.

I accidentally ran over a porcupine in Yosemite at around 0230 hrs (no, I did not get a flat). I was probably going 15 or 20 mph when this happened. This was on 120 near the east side.

Also, Tom ran into a deer when I was following behind him on a motorcycle. This was at night too, and below the speed limit, but that was on I-80 at around 60 MPH near Soda Springs. The deer jumped out from the center divider, right in front of the car and was killed instantly. Some damage to the front of the car too, but we could still continue.

I am just happy he ran into the deer with the car instead of me on the motorcycle.

Before we place blame, I think we should have more forensic evidence than a guess.

-Don- SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 8
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 1:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 05 2013, 11:05 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 05 2013, 9:24 am)

I would not bet on such . . . Before we place blame, I think we should have more forensic evidence than a guess.

-Don- SSF, CA

So what's the problem? Get your speed gun and go out on the road and document the traffic. Pretty darn trivial comment, Don. You are concerned that I might impugn the character of a moving vehicle -- no driver mentioned?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 2:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 05 2013, 1:04 pm)

This happened practically across the road from red dog's place.  You can believe him on how people drive around there.
 Post Number: 10
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 6:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 05 2013, 10:30 pm)
So what's the problem? Get your speed gun and go out on the road and document the traffic. Pretty darn trivial comment, Don. You are concerned that I might impugn the character of a moving vehicle -- no driver mentioned?

Accidents happen. Sometimes there's nothing to blame, it just happens, especially when wild animals are involved.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 11
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 06 2013, 4:16 am)

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 05 2013, 10:30 pm)

Accidents happen. Sometimes there's nothing to blame, it just happens, especially when wild animals are involved.

Like we didn't know that?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 12
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well Don, I suppose excessive speed may not have have been responsible for this incident, although I view this as a very remote possiblity.
I almost got killed myself (twice) the day I stopped to get this fella off of the road.

Closing statement from the article I linked to:
"We just want folks to slow down while traveling through the park," Fisher said. "That's the message."

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 13
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 06 2013, 4:03 am)
Like we didn't know that?

By what you have been saying, it certainly looks like a possibility!

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 06 2013, 9:26 am)
I almost got killed myself (twice) the day I stopped to get this fella off of the road.

Cute Desert Tortoise. I assume you took that photo after you got him off the road.

BTW, that's an endangered species these days.

Good job in saving him!!! Or her, (can't tell from a top view).

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 15
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If my vehicle were involved in a collision with wildlife in a national park, I'd consider it my obligation to report the incident. Some folks evidently don't feel that way. Hence the mountain lion along side the road and no knowledge of how it got there.

How about you folks?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 16
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 07 2013, 1:21 am)
If my vehicle were involved in a collision with wildlife in a national park, I'd consider it my obligation to report the incident. Some folks evidently don't feel that way. Hence the mountain lion along side the road and no knowledge of how it got there.

How about you folks?

Of course I'd have to report it, in a park or not.

I've reported just seeing a mountain lion at Big Bend, ended up having an interview with a ranger about any details.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 17
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only here can we instantly turn a story about a roadkilled cat into an unrelated pissing match about speeding.

Sad about the cat though.
 Post Number: 18
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lorax @ Jan. 07 2013, 6:45 am)
Only here can we instantly turn a story about a roadkilled cat into an unrelated pissing match about speeding.

Oh yeah ?  Just how fast were you going the day you smacked your head on the partially open garage door ?
A little too fast, eh ?  :;):

Hey Don, I think that Tortoise was male.  At least, that is what I think
Note the prominence on the front of the plastron.
Females have got a bit of a horn there as well, but not so pronounced.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 19
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You remember that? LOL

That was funny.
 Post Number: 20
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some stories that just stick in the brain, like the time Tigger nearly set himself on fire in his garage.  Hitting your head on the not-fully-opened garage door sounded like something I would do.  Since I never go in the garage in my robe, Tigger's error will not be something I experience.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
19 replies since Jan. 05 2013, 12:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mountain lion dies in Saguaro National Park
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions