2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lance toying with an admission, Cept for that lying to a Grand Jury part< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Story here.

Lance Armstrong, who this fall was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping and barred for life from competing in all Olympic sports, has told associates and antidoping officials that he is considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career, according to several people with direct knowledge of the situation. He would do this, the people said, because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career.

If he's simply waiting to get a 'pass' from the Feds, he's even more sack less than I imagined. Lance viciously attacked, and in some cases ended the career, of anyone who tried to tell the truth about this stuff. He's guilty, IMO, of fraud to the tune of the over 100 million dollars he's been valued at. If he wasn't a favorite sports star of so many people he'd be in prison.

Cheers

Carl

ETA .. The bi line in the heading should read .... "'Cept for that lying to a Grand Jury part" - this damn iPad sucks to type on.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For Lance I have to ask: What is the smart thing to do? What is the honest thing to do?

Either way it seems he passed the correct answer a long time ago, and didn't take it.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Per the linked article, "He would do this ... because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career.".

Meaning what?  He thinks he can restart the cash cow by saying "hey, sorry I lied"?   I hope he confesses and faces justice. That would be a good example for all.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Confessing is all anyone else has had to do for a slap on the wrist or less

But really: Lance Who?
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why does anyone care?  This is part of modern athletic competitions.  So let them take their drugs and entertain us.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 05 2013, 1:50 pm)
Confessing is all anyone else has had to do for a slap on the wrist or less

But really: Lance Who?

Unless your name is, say, Marion Jones.

How about the British taboid that paid Lance nearly 1/2 a million big ones in a settlement over allegations that he doped? There's an awful lot of people who paid an awful lot of money in the face of Lance' b-s, and they have every right to have (a) that paid back, and (b) Lance go to prison.

So to no_granola, I guess that would be part of the answer to "who cares?".

As for "part of modern athletic competitions" .. well, it's also against the rules of most modern athletic competitions. And if someone is busted for breaking the rules, they ought at least be responsible enough to acknowledge it, and apologize to the countless people they cheated and hurt.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 7
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The rules need to change and we need to stop wasting government funds on this stuff.  They're entertainers so let them entertain.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jan. 05 2013, 5:00 pm)
He's guilty, IMO, of fraud to the tune of the over 100 million dollars he's been valued at. If he wasn't a favorite sports star of so many people he'd be in prison.

I just really want him to be innocent. I'm not a huge cycling fan but I have admired him for so long that it is a lot to handle that he may have cheated.

Also, I agree with No_Gran. In all sports.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 9
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 6:30 pm)

He's guilty, IMO, of fraud to the tune of the over 100 million dollars he's been valued at. If he wasn't a favorite sports star of so many people he'd be in prison.

I just really want him to be innocent. I'm not a huge cycling fan but I have admired him for so long that it is a lot to handle that he may have cheated.

He didn't cheat.  It's just better living through chemistry.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 6:34 pm)

Trust me I'm aware.   :O

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:34 pm)

If true he did violate the race rules. But beyond that arbitrary line what was the difference between performance pharmaceuticals and his anti-cancer phsrmaceuticals?

Nothing I can see. Absent the chemo his race performance would have been zero as he would have been dead. Should only people who refrain from all medical aid participate in sports? It would be more "natural", but way sadder.
 Post Number: 12
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:18 pm)
The rules need to change and we need to stop wasting government funds on this stuff.  They're entertainers so let them entertain.

That's an entirely separate argument; sports ARE competitions. And competitions only actually work if there exist some boundaries and parameters; without them, it's hardly a competition. And, in his sport, doping is outside of the boundaries. I doubt any of his fellow competitors who chose to compete cleanly see Lance's scam as very entertaining at all.

If be broke the rules, and it seems reasonable to conclude that  he did, then he cheated.

The fact that you might like the guy doesn't change that.

--------------

Post Number: 13
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:41 pm)

If true he did violate the race rules. But beyond that arbitrary line what was the difference between performance pharmaceuticals and his anti-cancer phsrmaceuticals?

Nothing I can see. Absent the chemo his race performance would have been zero as he would have been dead. Should only people who refrain from all medical aid participate in sports? It would be more "natural", but way sadder.

I'm pretty sure chemo isn't against the rules.

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:43 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:41 pm)

And I didn't say it was.
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not really getting the analogy.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The analogy isn't the only thing you're not getting these days . . .

--------------
 Post Number: 17
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:45 pm)

(Walkinman @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:43 pm)

And I didn't say it was.

No - but the the comparison hinges on that, which is a very considerable difference.

As for it being arbitrary; one could take that argument anywhere. Look at the lanes in a track race. Or the distance? or the lane draws. Rules are defined for various reasons. The point is that the athletes KNOW what the rules are, and when they go to the lengths that Lance apparently went to to hide how stridently he broke them, there's a problem. I doubt he threatened anyone with kicking them off the team, or loss of sponsorship, etc, if they mentioned that Lance had had chemo. I doubt Lance sued any media organization for hundreds of thousands of dollars because they wrote about him having had chemo.

--------------

Post Number: 18
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 6:53 pm)
The analogy isn't the only thing you're not getting these days . . .

Sad but true.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 19
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 2:56 pm)
Why does anyone care?  This is part of modern athletic competitions.  So let them take their drugs and entertain us.

Lots of reasons to care.  Most of us would like to continue encouraging our kids to engage sports for health and character building reasons.  If we let the top become all out chemical warfare, it's only a matter of time before the battle creeps back to the pee-wee leagues.  It's a nightmare public health scenario at the very least.
 Post Number: 20
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(texasbb @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:32 pm)

Lots of reasons to care.  Most of us would like to continue encouraging our kids to engage sports for health and character building reasons.  If we let the top become all out chemical warfare, it's only a matter of time before the battle creeps back to the pee-wee leagues.  It's a nightmare public health scenario at the very least.

Because Junior High players aren't already taking steroids and haven't been for the past 50 years?  You're arriving a little bit too late to save the children . . . they're already on the TV.  Do you honestly believe that those guys all got that big naturally, just by putting in a bit of time in the weight room?

--------------
 Post Number: 21
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I care. They are examples for my kids and grandkids...I wouldn't want them thinking the corner doper or drug dealer is cool either. .And I don't think his wins are worth spit anymore...

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 22
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(texasbb @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:32 pm)

Its an American kicking ass on French soil thing for me. Just saying.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ndwoods @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:30 pm)
I care. They are examples for my kids and grandkids...I wouldn't want them thinking the corner doper or drug dealer is cool either. .And I don't think his wins are worth spit anymore...

I respect that but maybe its time to teach our kids to not have adults they don't even know as examples and guideposts.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:34 pm)

I respect that but maybe its time to teach our kids to not have adults they don't even know as examples and guideposts.

Now you're talking!  If you want examples for your kids and grandkids, set the bar yourself.

I like that.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 4:34 pm)

You mean, like the Founding Fathers? Or Jesus?

We live in a culture where it's impossible to separate those who become famous from some kind of role model for kids; because kids seek, and are taught to seek, the same kind of success that folks like Lance achieve.

I'm sure when you were a boy you wanted, badly, to be Stevie Ray Vaughan, for example.  :)

--------------

Post Number: 26
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no_granola

That's almost silly in its simplicity. Children are taught all kinds of things about our culture; the study of history is the study of other people's lives. There's no way at all to remove that from education. The stories of other people is intrinsic to learning about ourselves.

My parents "set the bar" themselves, for me, but that doesn't negate the influence of countless other adults in my life; many of whom I never met, or could meet, but I knew about them, what they did and their achievements. That's a good thing. We should ALL have role models beyond our immediate parents/families.

If you think you can set a bar of 7 Tour de France victories, have at it. :)

--------------

Post Number: 27
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:44 pm)

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 4:34 pm)

You mean, like the Founding Fathers? Or Jesus?

We live in a culture where it's impossible to separate those who become famous from some kind of role model for kids; because kids seek, and are taught to seek, the same kind of success that folks like Lance achieve.

I'm sure when you were a boy you wanted, badly, to be Stevie Ray Vaughan, for example.  :)

First of all, our founding fathers are different, eh. And no. Not like them. (Edit: I was thinking you lived in Canada but remembered you are in Alaska)
Jesus? We know Jesus.   :)

It can be hard and I don't claim to do a perfect job of it but I think its possible to separate famous and role model. I really do believe that. I think we need to redefine role model. I bet if you asked my son who his role model was he would say yours truly.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:44 pm)

That is one exception and I still want to be SRV.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 9:23 pm)
I bet if you asked my son who his role model was he would say yours truly.

It just struck me what I said. I have striven to be that kind of dad but I never really consciously thought about it.

Very cool. Best part is I feel certain its true.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Edit...forget the "eh"

--------------
31 replies since Jan. 05 2013, 5:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lance toying with an admission
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions