2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Absolut is still Absolut< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya, that is the first thing I thought of as well.  :D

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely!

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great minds think alike

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheers, gentlemen.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woohoo!

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So many flavors, so few hours in the day.
 Post Number: 8
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More importantly, vodka & vermouth is still absolutely not a Martini.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jan. 07 2013, 5:21 pm)

You have to get with the program.  In today's world, anything with alcohol in it is a martini, especially if you serve it in a conical glass.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 07 2013, 2:27 pm)

You have to get with the program.  In today's world, anything with alcohol in it is a martini, especially if you serve it in a conical glass.

Oh, I'm aware a lot of deeply ignorant people use the word that way. That doesn't change what the word actually means.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 07 2013, 3:27 pm)
In today's world, anything with alcohol in it is a martini, especially if you serve it in a conical glass.

And if you use a standard water glass it's a Hi-Ball
At least, that is what my parents called it

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to agree with you, but a sweet vodka martini does have vermouth in it.

Dry martinis for me please, gin or vodka, with two olives.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And as my Lithuanian heritage must point out, flavored vodka is blech. If you can't handle the real stuff you need an umbrella in your drink.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 07 2013, 7:05 pm)
And as my Lithuanian heritage must point out, flavored vodka is blech. If you can't handle the real stuff you need an umbrella in your drink.

What he said.

And what is it with beer these days?  Pumpkin ale?  I thought the world ended when I started seeing raspberry wheat beers.

Fruit in my beer?  Hell no.  Pumpkin?  Really?  Just because it's Halloween?  Uh-uh.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jan. 07 2013, 9:15 pm)

What he said.

And what is it with beer these days?  Pumpkin ale?  I thought the world ended when I started seeing raspberry wheat beers.

Fruit in my beer?  Hell no.  Pumpkin?  Really?  Just because it's Halloween?  Uh-uh.

You come see me here in PA next fall.  I need to introduce you to Imperial Pumpkin.  It's dessert, in a bottle.

Weyerbacher, Imperial Pumpkin Ale.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like umbrellas in my drinks.  They give me something to fidget with while getting plastered on booze that tastes like juice.
 Post Number: 17
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 05 2013, 6:56 pm)

Hard liquor training wheels.  Not in high school anymore.  Move on to the brown liquors or at least gin.
 Post Number: 18
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Geez, n_g, I always had you pegged as a purist.
 Post Number: 19
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 08 2013, 7:41 am)

(reubenstump @ Jan. 07 2013, 9:15 pm)

What he said.

You come see me here in PA next fall.  I need to introduce you to Imperial Pumpkin.  It's dessert, in a bottle.

Weyerbacher, Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

+1

Yum!

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jan. 07 2013, 4:05 pm)

I think we have to distinguish between the current crop of flavored vodkas (marshmallow vodka? seriously?) and traditional flavored vodkas like Pertsovka, Okhotnichya, or Zubrowka.  As far as the former are concerned, I'm right there with you.  As to the latter, I was always a big fan of Pertsovka (sadly, no longer available).

(Oh, and reubenstump: the Belgians have been making fruity beer for a very long time.)

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

vodka, psst

Give me a peat smoked single malt.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jan. 08 2013, 2:08 pm)
vodka, psst

Give me a peat smoked single malt.

Well, yeah. No question. Love the Islay malts especially...super smoky and delicious.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jan. 08 2013, 4:41 pm)

(tomas @ Jan. 07 2013, 4:05 pm)

I think we have to distinguish between the current crop of flavored vodkas (marshmallow vodka? seriously?) and traditional flavored vodkas like Pertsovka, Okhotnichya, or Zubrowka.  As far as the former are concerned, I'm right there with you.  As to the latter, I was always a big fan of Pertsovka (sadly, no longer available).

(Oh, and reubenstump: the Belgians have been making fruity beer for a very long time.)

I know.  And while I've enjoyed many fine Belgian brews, I'm not a fan of the fruity stuff.  If I want fruity beer I'll water my strawberries and blackberries with ale.  Ew.
 Post Number: 24
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cowgiano @ Jan. 08 2013, 12:38 pm)

Geez, n_g, I always had you pegged as a purist.

I am--pure beer.  I was just competing for views with Ben's thread.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 08 2013, 3:59 pm)
I was just competing for views with Ben's thread.

I think someone needs to start a thread warning about the dangers of drinking Absolut at (no longer) absolute zero.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Jan. 08 2013, 4:41 pm)

The traditional flavored stuff has ethnic roots which I appreciate. And having drunk more than my fair share of bad vodka with strangers in east european city parks, some of that stuff needed the flavoring to wash away the burn.

Krupnikas, the Lithuanian equivalent, is better imho when made with grain alcohol.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tito's handmade vodka. Thank me later.
 Post Number: 28
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's no Grey Goose or Chopin, but it'll do in a pinch.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 29
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm working on a bloody mary as I type. My only real criteria is that it is at least triple distilled. I'll add whatever fruit that I want for flavor. I don't have the stomach lining for drinking anything without enough dilution. Tonic and lime, cosmopolitans, orange juice or grapefruit. I get plenty of vitamin C.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
28 replies since Jan. 05 2013, 6:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Absolut is still Absolut
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions