2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How the Hell Do They Make Money?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last week, I purchased online five 2016 and ten 357 button type batteries at Battery Blowout.  I paid $4.50 total - shipping inclusive -- for 15 batteries.  The items arrived today in an evenlope -- $0.85 first class mail.

Walmart charges $1.28 for one 2016 cell and $9.60 for a pack of ten nameless 357's.

To get the equivalent of my 15 batteries from "el cheapo" WalMart would cost $22.40 - before tax!

I used to be skeptical (you know, Made in China and all), but this is my second "cheaper than cheap" online battery purchase. The first batch (ten 2032's) worked just as well as store-bought ones.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm equally perplexed with the business model.  I've had good experiences and bad with cheap on-line batteries of various types.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That reminds me of a similar thing with foam earbud covers.  A bag of 100 was cheaper than a bag of 10.  I didn't want to store 90 more covers, so I bought a bag of 10, but they sent me a bag of 100 anyway.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suspect that stores routinely make enormous markup's -- so they can still pay rent, make payroll and taxes and generate profits -- even after so-called 80% OFF BLOWOUT SALES!  And of course, supplies like batteries seldom get steep price cuts, and are thus reliable props for store profits.

Still, to ship batteries from China -- and then to mail 15 of them to my address -- all for $4.50 just seem too cheap to be sustainable -- and yet, there it is, apparently thriving...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear ya.

I got a new Nikon point-and-shoot camera and the "official" battery that Best Buy sells is $40.  Gulp.  Poked around Amazon and found a Japanese brand and, for about $20, I got two batteries, a travel charger, a car charger adapter and a floating strap.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I kick myself for all the times I bought batteries and cables from brick/mortar stores!  Ouch!!  Never again.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A) You got ripped off, the batteries are all dead.
B) Most people pay premium price for batteries because they don't have time to order them.
C) Everyone else on earth is a robot.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a pretty good price!
 Post Number: 9
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being a tech guy, I've had a LOT of bad experiences with off brand batteries.
Many die quickly, after initially performing well (rechargeable). I've seen many leak, or even burst/cause damage.
Many  non rechargeable discharge even when not in a device, or do not have the same total capacity to discharge.
Some even don't provide improper voltages or even do not fit properly.

In the end, be cautious and I wish you luck.
 Post Number: 10
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walmart is NOT 'el cheapo.'  Walmart is 'el markupo.'  Target is cheaper.  Shatter the illusion people.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 11
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I buy American...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Jan. 07 2013, 4:32 pm)
I buy American...

Good luck.  My American brand Energizer 2016 batteries are made in Indonesia -- the most populous Muslim country in the world.   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 07 2013, 4:03 pm)
Walmart is NOT 'el cheapo.'  Walmart is 'el markupo.'  Target is cheaper.  Shatter the illusion people.

Still doesn't explain how one can make money selling -- and shipping -- 15 coin cell type batteries for $4.50.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a darn good question.  Even if they had a 90% markup it hardly seems like they were making enough to pull them from stock and package them for mailing.
 Post Number: 15
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder the same on books. I find people selling mine for a penny plus $3.99 s&h and wonder where did they even get a copy and how I am supposed to sell mine at full price if that is what Amazon sellers are offering. How do they make money on penny books?

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 16
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps the distributor sold the batteries to "blow-out" retailers as out of date or below quality benchmark products for pennies on the dollar.  This could explain why battery blowout can afford to sell for such a low price.  I'm sure even Walmart has standards that they won't go below to help provide a better product.  And this might explain why batteries from cheap retailers might not last as long or work as well.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 17
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

batteries have one of the biggest mark-ups in retail
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Jan. 08 2013, 7:29 pm)
Perhaps the distributor sold the batteries to "blow-out" retailers as out of date or below quality benchmark products for pennies on the dollar.  This could explain why battery blowout can afford to sell for such a low price.  I'm sure even Walmart has standards that they won't go below to help provide a better product.  And this might explain why batteries from cheap retailers might not last as long or work as well.

As mentioned, the last batch I purchased worked really well.  But I suspect the consistency from batch to batch is the weak point.  Still, just unbelievably cheap -- compared to retail.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
BrendanCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who cares if you are saving money!

--------------
Camping Guru - Guides, Tips and Tricks, Trail and Hike Reviews, and Gear Reviews
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Jan. 08 2013, 7:31 pm)
batteries have one of the biggest mark-ups in retail

Yeah, if it's anything like the mark up's on printer ink -- obscene!  :O

--------------
19 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 3:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How the Hell Do They Make Money?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions