2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Have you had this year influenza vaccination? :: Total Votes:71
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes 36  [50.70%]
No 35  [49.30%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Have you had this year influenza vaccination?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 1:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year influenza season is off to an early start with an unusually aggressive virus.  Vaccination while far from perfect does help prevent influenza.  If you have not been vaccinated yet get vaccinated not only to protect yourself get it to help protect those around you.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "herd immunity" principle as my wife with her Masters in Public Health likes to call it...

Yes, I've had a flu shot as has my wife and daughter.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interestingly, the last time I got the flu was way back in 2003 -- my last year working.  Since I retired at the beginning of 2004 -- I haven't ever gotten sick -- not even one cold.  And no flu shots either.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well Mayor Menino has declared a Public Health Emergency in Boston, but I'm not getting one.  I should knock on wood, I suppose, but I've never had the flu, ever.  Nor have I ever had the shot.  Sure I'll typically get that one sinus infection every winter, but the debilitating, achy body flu?  Count me lucky, I guess.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figure all of my flying around has exposed me, if not already then soon.  I have not yet gotten mine, and do not see me doing so before Feb.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I quit taking them several years ago. The idea of some annonymous group at a remote location deciding months in advance what kind of immunization I need bothers me. The last time I got the flu I'd had the shot.

I do have a prescription anti-viral my company buys that I can take if I do start coming down with the flu. It hasn't been necessary.
 Post Number: 7
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope.

Sometimes my company will do free on-site flu shots, but otherwise I don't go out of my way to get it.  I'm rarely around kids or old people and am rarely sick, aside from two colds a year that usually start with allergies.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My son and daughter... yes. My wife and I... no.

The pediatrician said this season's vaccine is a poor match for the viruses actually circulating. So far, only my son has gotten the flu... which supports his claim.

I've been using echinacea and goldenseal for a few years with excellent results. Start at the first sign of illness. It doesn't always prevent me from getting sick, but when I do, it is much less severe and a shorter duration. The only bad sickness I've had since using these herbs is strep throat. Not sure if that's because strep is bacterial, while colds/flu are viral.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get the flu shot every year now.  I used to be hit and miss with getting it but since the last time I got the flu I have not missed.  The last time I got the flu, about 2004, I became very sick and it took months to fully recover.  Idon't want that to happen again.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with Rumi on this one.  The vaccine also means that if you do get the flu, it is apt to be less severe.  The few times I have gotten flu I had not been vaccinated, and like Rumi the last time it took a long time to get over--secondary infections, strained ribs from the coughing, etc.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Jan. 10 2013, 11:09 am)
I quit taking them several years ago. The idea of some annonymous group at a remote location deciding months in advance what kind of immunization I need bothers me.

It would be nice if your own doctor just down the street could concoct the perfect local vaccine this week.  But that's not how vaccine creation works, at least not yet (a worthy goal though).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 10 2013, 2:01 pm)
I should knock on wood, I suppose, but I've never had the flu, ever.  Nor have I ever had the shot.  Sure I'll typically get that one sinus infection every winter, but the debilitating, achy body flu?  Count me lucky, I guess.

Ditto - just getting over my "annual" winter sinus infection here, a couple of days of mild symptoms

I don't think anyone in my family has ever had the flu, or the flu shot.  Course we live in CA, where it usually isn't as bad.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 10 2013, 2:32 pm)

(toejam @ Jan. 10 2013, 11:09 am)
I quit taking them several years ago. The idea of some annonymous group at a remote location deciding months in advance what kind of immunization I need bothers me.

It would be nice if your own doctor just down the street could concoct the perfect local vaccine this week.  But that's not how vaccine creation works, at least not yet (a worthy goal though).

Good one. Not to mention the fact that a number of very smart and well-educated experts in infectious diseases and public health put a lot of study and effort into a serious worldwide public health problem. Nothing local about this one.

Yes, I got mine several months ago.

Good OP.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes in October free through my health insurance provider and always get the shot.   Last time I caught influenza was decades ago during that year it was most virulent.   Very scary symptoms.   Whether cold or flu, I greatly dislike being sick.  I have a suspicion the more respiratory illnesses one catches over one's lifetime the faster one ages and that it shortens one's life.

I hardly ever catch head cold viruses though did come down with a slight head cold in this November.  Previously caught colds in 2007 and 2002 so about every 4 or 5 years which has been the case since the 1980's though lots of people around me are often sick.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 15
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 10 2013, 2:30 pm)
I'm with Rumi on this one.  The vaccine also means that if you do get the flu, it is apt to be less severe.  The few times I have gotten flu I had not been vaccinated, and like Rumi the last time it took a long time to get over--secondary infections, strained ribs from the coughing, etc.

Ditto

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 16
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The problem lies in that what many think of as "The Flu" isn't. Until you truly get your butt kicked by it......
When I was pregnant with Walker and the Swine Flu shots were hard to get, I found one through a program of the County - where you could see real time online of who had gotten shots in. I was able to get mine early on. My husband and oldest son, who was 12 then, didn't. They both got the flu that year. I didn't.

It was horrid. I was pregnant, tired and barfy. And had to take care of them for a week, hauling barf buckets, sterilizing everything, every day. Stripping sheets, running on high. They couldn't keep anything in them. Smelling that much puke and acrid sweat made my all-day gagginess even worse.

I have had a true flu once, when I was a teen. Apparently I was hallucinating from the fevers, I got out of bed and fell into the wall a few times, and then slammed a door on my arm. They dragged me back to bed. I have no memory of it.

To say the least, I take a flu shot every year, as do the kids and Kirk. Kirk NEVER wants to go through that again. And for all of you smug over not getting it....if you have little kids, once they go to school, they bring home EVERYTHING. Hahhah. Which is why I immunize Ford for everything I can. I even had his whooping cough bumped up to ensure he didn't bring it home to his brothers (since the youngest doesn't have all his shots yet). His school was bad earlier this year, with teens getting it like crazy and spreading it.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 17
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I work with a bunch of nurses.  No way they would let me get away without being stabbed with a needle.  I get a flu shot every year and have for a long time.  I don't get the flu.  That's all I need to know.
 Post Number: 18
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to my dad, influenza wiped out a branch of my family in the early part of the 20th century.  My Great grandmother was the only one from her family that survived, killed her parents and siblings.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 19
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a 9 day old baby, so yeah, we got it.  Let's hope it works.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 20
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.  If it takes me out then it takes me out.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 21
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oink. My last intersection with influenza: http://ckjournal.blogspot.com/2009....ss.html

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 22
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 10 2013, 6:56 pm)
No.  If it takes me out then it takes me out.

That's the same way I feel about skank chick infectious stuff.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 23
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Years ago I got the flu shot at the behest of my Mom. First and last time I had one because it was the first time since I was a little kid that year I got the flu. I hadn't had the flu in years and knock on wood and not since have I had it.
 Post Number: 24
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get vaccinated every year at the first opportunity.  My grandfather lost a few siblings in the 1918 epidemic.
 Post Number: 25
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes. I have a 2 month old and a 3 year old. Both my husband and I got ours while I was pregnant. My 3 year old just got hers last month.

I worked in health care for 5 years and started getting the flu shot then. I have been very healthy, other then the pneumonia I got this year while pregnant (I don't recommend it... but hey, they don't make a vaccine for pneumonia!).

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 26
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

last time I got the flu, I wound up with cancer.

getting the flu shot is not an option for me anymore.  I will always be immunocompromised.  I even got the swine flu vaccine while I was undergoing treatment.  I got it when only the most at-risk people were able to get them.

I got my flu shot this year back in October or something.  My dad got the flu just before Christmas and I managed to avoid it even though I was in the same house the whole time.  I did wind up getting a damn cold that I'm still fighting 2 weeks later, though.  Stupid lingering coughs.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 27
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I meant to, but didn't, since Dec 1st when I gave a mom and a 19 month old a ride to the emergency room, someone in my family has had the flu, which ran the same course for all 7 of the ones I consider family here in town, me and the husband, the two sons, both girlfriends and the toddler. But there was enough delay in between each onset that one would be nearly recovered before the next would get sick. Baby on the first, 5 days later her mom, then my oldest son on the 11th,  and my husband around  the 14, which was when the two college kids came home, then me and then them. everyone had a fever and aches for about a day first then vomited a couple times, then had intestinal issues for about  a day, and then were just really weak for about a week, then as you thought it was over, each got a deep chest cough and head congestion and two of us got ear infections and I am still wondering about getting the flu shot even now.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 28
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Echo - Those symptoms and the period of time between cases does not sound like flu.  There are a lot of different bugs out their.  GI problems/vomiting is not a common symptom of influenza.  What is called stomach flu is not influenza.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 29
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WBrim @ Jan. 10 2013, 5:00 pm)
Years ago I got the flu shot at the behest of my Mom. First and last time I had one because it was the first time since I was a little kid that year I got the flu. I hadn't had the flu in years and knock on wood and not since have I had it.

You do realize that was coincidence?  You can't get the flu from the vaccine.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What Roger said.  If you are vomiting, other than as a reaction to a very high fever(more common in kids than adults, I think), it's not influenza.

And the biggest baddie about flu is opening the window to pneumonia.  The pneumonia I had a few years ago while on vacation in Glacier probably started as the flu my son had just gotten over.  Next thing I know I'm sitting up all night because I literally can't breathe if I lie down.  Trust me, you don't want to do that.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
74 replies since Jan. 10 2013, 1:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Have you had this year influenza vaccination?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions