2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Woo Hoo!  Another National Park!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05el....al-park

http://www.kcet.org/socal....es.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very exciting!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw this an hour or so ago in the news, but I have no idea where it is or what it offers.  I guess I need to look it up.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great.  Can't have too many National Parks, IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went a few years back - it offers fabulous hiking, geology, scenery and wildlife :)

http://www.tarol.com/pinnacles

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke, it's just a couple hours south of me.  Stop by and we can all go for the weekend:)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When those plans were input several months ago, a number of us criticized via news site reader comments plans because we did not think the area's features rose to the level of what ought to be worthy of National Park status.   Not something I feel is a big deal one way or the other but worth my two cents.   However it was obvious for political reasons those in control would get it pushed through.     California already has 8 national parks and several more national monuments and national recreation area, many national forests, and a large state park system.  

The park is quite enjoyable from February into May when spring greenery and wildflowers are about, streams have water, temperatures pleasant, and animals and birds are enjoying the abundant time of year.    Rock climbers tend to use the park all year.   Kids love the caves.  

However from June through September the dominant chaparral vegetation in the park is all dried and brown, streams dried up, and weather hot.   Also the main volcanic outcrops features is a rather small area compared to what we usually equate as a set of features in national parks.  Much of the park area within boundaries is trailess chaparral that has burned several times during the last two centuries.   We have a considerable number of Europeans and Asians tourist visiting California parks each year and some will now be led into the new park.    Most will probably enjoy the nearby Monterey Peninsula and Point Lobos far more.   Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 8
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I'm one of the few who think we need to preserve our chaparral areas - being brown in the summer and prone to fire, yeah that they are.  But, did you know that chaparral ecosystems only cover about 5% of the the land area on Earth, but support 25% of its plant/animal species?  They are incredibly diverse areas worthy of protection - and exploration :)  

What I've found is wonderful is you'll be hiking along a south-facing chaparral hillside and it all looks pretty dry and, well, prickly.  Then you 'round the corner and go onto a north-facing hillside and suddenly you find moss and mushrooms and ferns - it's marvelous!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Jan. 11 2013, 12:14 pm)
Well, I'm one of the few who think we need to preserve our chaparral areas - being brown in the summer and prone to fire, yeah that they are.  But, did you know that chaparral ecosystems only cover about 5% of the the land area on Earth, but support 25% of its plant/animal species?  They are incredibly diverse areas worthy of protection - and exploration :)  

What I've found is wonderful is you'll be hiking along a south-facing chaparral hillside and it all looks pretty dry and, well, prickly.  Then you 'round the corner and go onto a north-facing hillside and suddenly you find moss and mushrooms and ferns - it's marvelous!

I agree.

Pinnacles may not be quite up to the usual for National Parks, but I'm glad it got more protection.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I believe there was hope that there might be a proposal to reorganize the nomenclature for the national park system, but I don't think that ever happened.  There are several national parks, notably Cuyahoga Valley, which were controversial as not meeting the usual "standard" and this seems to be one of those as well but probably more worthy than Cuyahoga Valley.

The one big worth proposal out there IMO is the proposed Maine North Woods NP.  The lady who owns Burt's Bees has bought up a bunch of land and proposed making it a NP.  I hope somehow that might happen some day as she's made efforts to work with hunters, etc... but I'm not up on the latest on it.  That's one I'd love to visit if it came to be.
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMO, a "National Park" status will not help this area as much as a wilderness designation would of. National Parks are HIGHLY overrated in terms of preserving wildness...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a good article "A Brief History of Pinnacles National Park"

http://www.kcet.org/news....rk.html

--------------
 Post Number: 13
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think what I struggle with is I keep hearing about suggestions of closing things like Biscayne NP and we just added another. I am fine with bringing on and protecting more treasures of this country. Just don't want to ignore any current parks to get some Europeans to visit.
12 replies since Jan. 10 2013, 7:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Woo Hoo!  Another National Park!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions