2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Armstrong to admit doping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling....-011113
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who cares.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same Ol.  Cry a little bit, talk about bad judgement, ask for forgiveness. BLAH BLAH BLAH. He ruined a lot of peoples lives over the years.
 Post Number: 4
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank God!  I'll finally be able to sleep again.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be more interested in a quantitative analysis of just how big the edge was over the other known doping methods of the time.  Did it enable him to far exceed any other doped human, or was it just another instance of doping in a sport riddled with it?  Were there any riders in the peloton that were not doping?  If they are going to hold these races and claim they are dope free, who is going to be declared the winner for any year where the vast majority are using?  

I am not saying he was in the right, or even that he was a good team leader.  Just like the current topic in baseball as it relates to their HOF voting, if the people who make the rules are going to enforce them, then we need to know no one is getting around the rules.  Bonds might have played by the rules as they were written at the time, but no one puts up better numbers after 30 like he did, and the improvement was all the indictment needed.

Lance might have been a great rider without the drugs, but we will never know.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad to see he finally owned up to it. He was making a fool of himself continuing to act like he was innocent. His buddy Hincapie lives up the street from me and owns a couple businesses around town. He admitted his doping a few months ago and no one really seems to be to bothered by it as he's known as a genuinely nice and decent fellow otherwise.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something about perjury... I hope he gets justice.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So who is doping while backpacking...
 Post Number: 9
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skolbe @ Jan. 12 2013, 2:48 pm)

Cough! Cough! Uhhh, what was the question again?  :O

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skolbe @ Jan. 12 2013, 11:48 am)

Does the ibuprofen I take every night count?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who?

Is he married to one of the Kardashians?
 Post Number: 12
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My my.  Professional athletes dope?  No kidding?  I don't care one way or another what these over paid over rated people do.  I would rather hear about the adventures of someone here who climbed a mountain because of love for the challenge vs. the fame and fortune most professionals seek.
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The guy is a narcissistic A-Hole.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Jan. 12 2013, 6:43 pm)
My my.  Professional athletes dope?  No kidding?  I don't care one way or another what these over paid over rated people do.  I would rather hear about the adventures of someone here who climbed a mountain because of love for the challenge vs. the fame and fortune most professionals seek.

Methinks that to the extent cheaters put pressure on others to cheat in order to compete... then yeah, I think we should care.  Not about them personally, but about justice and fair play.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't want "cheating" in pro cycling?

Then shorten the damn races! A hundred to a hundred fifty miles in a day over mountains for three weeks straight with two days off? That's like demanding American professional football players refuse to use helmets. Or corrective surgery. RGIII should either get well on his own without medical aid or he should leave the game. Cutting open his knee will certainly enhance future performance: shouldn't be allowed.

For i see two issues. Breaking established competitive rules and when caught rule breakers should suffer the consequences as laid down by those very-same rules. Then there's the far fuzzier notion of "fair play" that reminds me of that old movie about Olympic Competition Chariots of Fire[i] where, as i recall, having a [i]coach was considered unfair and cheating. Comes back to Armstrong in a way, his use of drugs to stay healthy during the Tour de France was cheating but his use of drugs to stay healthy when under the threat of his cancer was not? Rules of sport are by their nature arbitrary but "performance enhancing drug" rules seem more arbitrary than most.  How much was Armstrong's performance enhanced by his chemotherapy? I'd say quite a lot, he's talented but even he wouldn't have been all that competitive were he dead.

My two cents is simply require professional medical supervision and talk off the pharmaceuticals phobia. RGIII's surgery and drug usage related to same is accepted: I'd say consider why? We want to go back to "the natural" body and state of competition? Ban all medical treatments for anything for the career of an athlete. Back to the "pure" state of nature!
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 12 2013, 7:05 pm)

Then shorten the damn races! A hundred to a hundred fifty miles in a day over mountains for three weeks straight with two days off? That's like demanding American professional football players refuse to use tape.

You can make sports as easy as 4th grade homework -- and some people will still want to cheat -- and the more people think they can get away -- the more cheating there will likely be -- until the system loses all integrity and simply collapses altogether.

Difficulty aside, there is also the prize money at the other end...

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Jan. 12 2013, 9:55 am)
He ruined a lot of peoples lives over the years.

Really?

Ruined people's lives?  Can you name any?

He helped and inspired a lot of people fighting cancer.  Yes it was all build on a false belief, but I fail to see where he ruined peoples lives.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 12 2013, 7:13 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 12 2013, 7:05 pm)

Then shorten the damn races! A hundred to a hundred fifty miles in a day over mountains for three weeks straight with two days off? That's like demanding American professional football players refuse to use tape.

You can make sports as easy as 4th grade homework -- and some people will still want to cheat -- and the more people think they can get away -- the more cheating there will likely be -- until the system loses all integrity and simply collapses altogether.

Difficulty aside, there is also the prize money at the other end...

Possibly but it's guaranteed at those insane levels. Professional American football is similarly burdened in my opinion.

Otoh I've less emotionally engaged: breaking the rules means risking getting caught and getting caught ( the job of the referees etc ) means accepting the rules specified punishment. No more no less and without the "cheating" emotionalism.

Eddie Merkx got caught violating the rules, so did Alberto Contador. Both still retain championships.
 Post Number: 19
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 12 2013, 8:22 pm)

Really?

He helped and inspired a lot of people fighting cancer.  Yes it was all build on a false belief, but I fail to see where he ruined peoples lives.

I wondered about that comment too.   Disillusion maybe, but ruin?  I don't get that one.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 20
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jan. 13 2013, 12:52 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 12 2013, 8:22 pm)

Really?

I wondered about that comment too.   Disillusion maybe, but ruin?  I don't get that one.

Google Greg Lemond for one...

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Le Mond was out of cycling maybe a decade before Armstrong was racing so that's improbable. Plus it was his own brother who shot Greg iirc.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 13 2013, 8:32 am)
Le Mond was out of cycling maybe a decade before Armstrong was racing so that's improbable. Plus it was his own brother who shot Greg iirc.

Brother in law.
 Post Number: 23
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jan. 13 2013, 3:43 am)
Google Greg Lemond for one...

I am not condoning Armstrong's behavior, but from what little I have read, I think Greg LeMond using that phrase in an interview is a hardly proof that Armstrong destroyed anyone.    

You have to come up with more than that to back up your accusation.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 24
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IF he DOES admit doping...

Note that the Tour de France has already decided that Armstrong's seven titles will not be awarded to anyone--mainly because most of the people who finished behind him have already admitted/been convicted of doping.  It's hard for me to be really angry at Armstrong over any of the rest of those guys.  

And for everyone who complains about what a dirty sport cycling is...I would just point out that cycling has the toughest PED testing policy of any sport.  And yes, they catch lots of violations.

And if the NFL, FIFA, MLB, NHL, etc had similar testing policies, they would find the same number of violators, or more.

Follow the money.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jan. 13 2013, 6:57 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 13 2013, 8:32 am)

Brother in law.

THE linchpin of the issue, certainly. :D
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jan. 13 2013, 8:19 am)

Note that the Tour de France has already decided that Armstrong's seven titles will not be awarded to anyone--mainly because most of the people who finished behind him have already admitted/been convicted of doping.  It's hard for me to be really angry at Armstrong over any of the rest of those guys.  

And for everyone who complains about what a dirty sport cycling is...I would just point out that cycling has the toughest PED testing policy of any sport.  And yes, they catch lots of violations.

And if the NFL, FIFA, MLB, NHL, etc had similar testing policies, they would find the same number of violators, or more.

Follow the money.

Yet they never detected a banned substance with all the endless testing that a seven time tour champion is subject to. Yet Landis and Contador were detected... And lost their titles for those races where they were found to have violated the rules.

Somewhat of a puzzle all around and probably why as recently as this past fall Contador, not an Armstrong fan by any means, was quoted as feeling Armstrong was being treated unfairly.
 Post Number: 27
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you believe the testimony of  Frankie and Betsy Andreu (which I do) then Armstrong is guilty of pressuring Trek to dump Lemond's bikes.  Plus slandering Frankie and Betsy, which seemed to happen to lots of Lances teammates-people who helped him win.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 28
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 13 2013, 10:01 am)

(balzaccom @ Jan. 13 2013, 8:19 am)

Follow the money.

Yet they never detected a banned substance with all the endless testing that a seven time tour champion is subject to. Yet Landis and Contador were detected... And lost their titles for those races where they were found to have violated the rules.

Somewhat of a puzzle all around and probably why as recently as this past fall Contador, not an Armstrong fan by any means, was quoted as feeling Armstrong was being treated unfairly.

Marion jones and Barry Bonds never tested positive either.

Whether other people cheated is irrelevant - ask any teacher who's graded an exam.

Those who say he didn't ruin others lives,read some of the accounts by those who spoke up and tried to tell their side of the story. He sued people and Ora's over this.

All the little Lance fanboys simply change their tune from "he never doped" to "everyone doped, it's the only way anime could compete".

HSF - I typically find your arguments pretty sound - but the analogy to surgery and medicine is, IMO, absurd. The intention of repairing a torn ACL isn't to improve anyone's athleticism, it's to repair an injury. Just as Lance didn't have chemo so he could win the TDF. The doping? Not so much.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Medical assistance is medical assistance IMHO. The worship of natural competition seems to rule it all out which IS absurd, and my point. The PED issue is rather arbitrary and artificial.. Granted sports competition rules usually are, why three strikes and not four or two? Why aspirin or surgery and not a pharmaceutical which allows faster recovery from competition wear and tear, injury or training?

If RGIII wasn't interested in winning he'd not be getting his LCL repaired.
 Post Number: 30
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We need a congressional committee to review this and then our legislators can preside over the findings.  They certainly have nothing better to do than worry about a doper on a bike.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
157 replies since Jan. 12 2013, 10:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Armstrong to admit doping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions