2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Florida python hunting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 12:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs....hunters

I almost put this in TPA, but I'm hopeful it will do ok here.

So, what are the group thoughts?  I'm not really sure it's a wise idea to have people tromping through the Everglades in search of a prize winning apex preditor when they may not be terribly aware of how dangerous the swamp can be.  For people like our esteemed friend Roger, he knows his risks and how to avoid them.  For someone out of area just looking for a good story and prize money, I see Darwin's fingerprints all over this.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tons of people skilled enough down there to hunt them.  Like the iguanas,  big problem.  Except the pythons can Tolerate the cold better. Reality show, perhaps?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.pythonchallenge.org/toolkit/euthanasia.aspx

I was also surprised to learn that the head of the animal would still feel pain long after decapitation unless the brain was destroyed.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 4
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They had a brief training before turning these folks loose in the glades.  I suspect that many of them will give up or not venture into the glades very far.  The water level falls this time of year but it is not called the river of grass for nothing.  The park has only one road that goes from Homestead to Flamingo.  The rest is accessible either by foot or boat and much of the area is hard to penetrate.  

The python problem threatens the wildlife of the glades.  You do not see raccoons and rabbits in the campgrounds anymore.  Pythons have been found with birds such as the White Ibis in their stomachs.  They will consume deer, alligators etc.  Not much is safe from them.  

This hunt is an experiment to gather data and see how many snakes are killed.  Once the hunt is completed they will evaluate the results to see if it is worth doing again.  

While I received my master in biology and was a herpetologist all so long ago I know my limits and venturing deep into the glades is not something I want to do.  I will stick with paddling around the edge of the glades.

For more information the home page for the ENP has a link to python information.  

Below is a picture of a python taken from the glades.  It had a 76 lb deer in its stomach.  

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They should do "man v snake" contests at county fairs and charge money.

Not to leave out the womenfolk -- there should also be snake recipe contests.  :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 12 2013, 11:13 am)
I'm not really sure it's a wise idea to have people tromping through the Everglades in search of a prize winning apex preditor when they may not be terribly aware of how dangerous the swamp can be.  

People who grow up in the swamps pretty much know how to deal with them.  Kind of like people up north know how to deal with snow & ice.  It's just whatever is in your repertoire, I think.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 7
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have faith in mans ability to extinct an animal from an ecosystem.  Getting paid for it is extra incentive.

I almost feel sorry for the snakes.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Python tastes jes like chicken!
 Post Number: 9
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They may taste like chicken but given where they live and there place on the food chain their meat most likely will have enough mercury to prevent them from being marketed.  There are lot warning signs in the glades concerning the mercury in the fish and how much one should consume.  

Humans have a remarkable ability to kill native animals off but they have not fared as well when it comes to killing introduced animals.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 10
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 12 2013, 9:13 am)
So, what are the group thoughts?

While I hate the idea of killing any snake, in the Everglades getting rid of those pythons  is a necessity.

And somehow, it even sounds like fun hunting them down. I would be willing to help out if I wasn't 3,000 miles away.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Jan. 12 2013, 10:17 pm)

(JimInMD @ Jan. 12 2013, 11:13 am)
I'm not really sure it's a wise idea to have people tromping through the Everglades in search of a prize winning apex preditor when they may not be terribly aware of how dangerous the swamp can be.  

People who grow up in the swamps pretty much know how to deal with them.  Kind of like people up north know how to deal with snow & ice.  It's just whatever is in your repertoire, I think.

I never really worried about the locals.  I was thinking more of some of my idiot friends that think Florida is Disney; Key West and attractive women in small bikinis who suddenly thought this might be fun if they do it again.  

:D

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 12
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh send them, please ... evolution and survival of the fittest and all that!  :D

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unlike some other animals out there I don't think anyone here is going to argue these snakes aren't incredibly destructive invasive species.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would be a good idea for someone to create a cage trap with a mouse or rat inside that could not escape and had food to keep it alive.  The trap would only have an opening wide enough for a snake to slide into.   Of course the creative part is figuring a way to keep a small rat inside a cage that has an opening larger than its body size.   Maybe some kind of hogtie string.  Would need to put some food/water in cage for the rat.   Once a snake entered in far enough inside, it would get impaled by a spring trigger.  

They could dump cages all over the Everglades and later come back and pick them up.    That would also tell them quickly where and where not infestations were.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That'd be great!  Fresh food for the gators without even having to work for it!!  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 16
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a farce. A buddy of mine had a contract to repair all of the tree damage on the park road after hurricane ??? Lost track....in 2004 or so. There werent any leaves on the trees and the pythons were hanging from the branches like spaghetti from the ceiling fan at an Italians retirement party. You could have killed hundreds and hundreds a day.More with an airboat.Couldn't happen. The park was officially "closed" due to a declaration of natural disaster. The bureaucratic idiocracy at work, and mindless idiots to enforce it,yet again.Now it's time for a "war on pythons" which will be a complete failure jut like the "wars" on everything else. The guy in Lauderdale is gonna make the bank selling those skins ! Every Redneck wanna be in China and India will be sporting a pair of boots.
I rikey ! Make me rook rike Clinn Easwoo !

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://abcnews.go.com/US....8530683

While the hunt was not overly effective, given that the take was so small, the organizer seems to be very bright.  Keeping the snakes alive when brought in, and putting a radio in them, seems too intelligent.  Now all they need to do is track them, which may be easier said than done.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not too optimistic about python eradication, but I would like a matching vest to go with new boots   :p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 18 2013, 5:48 pm)
I'm not too optimistic about python eradication, but I would like a matching vest to go with new boots   :p

Y'know, my python boot is too tight
I couldn't get it off last night
A week went by, an' now it's July
I finally got it off
An' my girl-friend cry
"You got STINK FOOT!

http://www.lyricstime.com/frank-zappa-stink-foot-lyrics.html
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sound box of the er hu or Chinese violin is faced with a piece of python skin.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Invasive species, so I have no problem with Fla trying to take them out anyway they can.  Snakes can have lots of little snakes, however.  

Of course lax laws allowed them into the state in the first place (not only unique to Fla).  It's not the snakes fault, but that species should not be there.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Y'all haven't seen Swamp People on TV yet, have you?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 18 2013, 8:39 pm)
Y'all haven't seen Swamp People on TV yet, have you?

Actually I have and no doubt they'll figure a way to make python sausage.  Mix it with the squirrel.

Having been around a dissected python, that was an atrocious smell.  Nothing a bunch of cayenne won't cover up I bet ..

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 24
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Feb. 18 2013, 5:55 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 18 2013, 5:48 pm)

Y'know, my python boot is too tight
I couldn't get it off last night
A week went by, an' now it's July
I finally got it off
An' my girl-friend cry
"You got STINK FOOT!

http://www.lyricstime.com/frank-zappa-stink-foot-lyrics.html

Love Zappa.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
23 replies since Jan. 12 2013, 12:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Florida python hunting
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions