2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Prepare! Prepare!, For the time is approaching...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 6:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...for those of us without a good camera and tripod go out and get one! I'm giving this warning now, so that no-one can say they didn't have time to prepare.   :;):

The SUPERCOMET is coming!

More in-depth write up.

So no dithering! Get those cameras and tripods, and start practicing night shots.   :p

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 12 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heavy overcast here. :(

(My binoculars are ready, though)
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm skeptical. Camera will have to wait. I've heard this too many times over the years. Second verse, pretty much the same as the first.

Hey, aren't you supposed to be holding a sign at a street corner, TJ? ???

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 13 2013, 1:35 pm)
I'm skeptical. Camera will have to wait. I've heard this too many times over the years. Second verse, pretty much the same as the first.

We should start a pool on whether it will exceed Mars in brightness or apparent size.
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 13 2013, 12:01 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 13 2013, 1:35 pm)

We should start a pool on whether it will exceed Mars in brightness or apparent size.

Ah, good idea. You're a smart investor. I'm willing to say yes to both. But both events could happen when ISON sets with the sun. So, we need a fair judge of "apparent."

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. And judging by the data so far, there's a better than average chance that this actually will live up to the "Comet of the Century" hype. Most importantly; it's size. The fact that it was spotted almost a BILLION kilometers out, (~600,000,000 million miles) makes it a pretty substantial hunk of ice. And the minimal distance that it will pass the sun should allow for a pretty sweet show. (Hoping so anyways.)

At least I already have the good camera and tripod. "Good" being relative. (Nikon D50) It was an amazing camera 5 years ago, and it still takes great pictures, but at only 6.1 megapixels it's a little on the inferior side of most cameras these days. However, it's what I got, and it's good enough for me.

Anyhoo, by August we should be able to see if it's truly gonna be a "once in a lifetime" thing, and then the camera buying cam begin for real.   :D  

Oh! wait! Nevermind; meteor 2012 DA14 is supposed to hit the Earth on February 15th, and we're all gonna be plasma. Dang! ...Well, it's SUPPOSED to pass by at 0.09 Lunar Distances, but I-don't-knowwww.   :;):

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 7
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang. I was hoping this was another "End of the world!" thread
6 replies since Jan. 12 2013, 6:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Prepare! Prepare!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions