2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: puzzles :: Total Votes:25
Poll choices Votes Statistics
crossword 8  [32.00%]
sudoku 7  [28.00%]
wordsearch 0  [0.00%]
other 1  [4.00%]
all of the above 2  [8.00%]
none 7  [28.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: puzzles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is your preferred form of word/ logic puzzle?  I'm loathe to actually include word searches since I don't really consider them puzzles, but I've had this argument before and it's just easier to include them.

For those of you that do partake of such challenges, how often do you partake and do you prefer pencil and paper or computer based?

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weekly.  Sunday Washington Post crossword puzzle.
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I'm never bored enough or never feel the need to fill up the time. Same with computer games. I just don't feel the need to dedicate time to them. Or with sports. There's too much else I can be doing or thinking about.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoy all kinds of word puzzles, but I'm with Jim--I don't count wordsearch.  So even though I checked "all of the the above" I don't do those.  But I do some others that aren't listed, just because they are in the paper.  

I'm also a fan of jigsaw puzzles.

I usually do puzzles on paper, while eating lunch.  If I'm really bored (or the spouse beat me to the sudoku) I even do the Jumble or the cryptoquip.

The Saturday crossword (NYT weekend puzzle) is a joint effort between my spouse and me, since neither of us knows enough to solve it alone (he does sports, I do obscure language stuff.  Neither of us does so well at movies and pop music).

ETA: I have plenty of other things to do, but like to solve puzzles, which helps exercise the little grey cells in different ways from most other things I do.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DD--I'll agree with you on most computer games and pretty  much all spectator sports (participating is a different matter).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do several crosswords every day, and usually a couple sudokus.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jan. 13 2013, 2:59 pm)

That is a beast.  It's also what I was working on that prompted me to ask the question.  :D

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 13 2013, 1:12 pm)

That is a beast.  It's also what I was working on that prompted me to ask the question.  :D

Use the buddy system, man!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually around here it's more like:
Me: literature and obscure linguistics; French and Spanish words
Hubby: sports, science, German words

Geography and car models: yell for the kids.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 13 2013, 4:12 pm)

Years ago I could never finish one.  If I was lucky I got 10%.  Now I finish most if they don't have too many actors, movies, mythology, and other subjects at which I'm horrible.  A lot of it is getting used to both the standard and special clues.

I don't even try the NYT crossword unless I'm traveling.  I'm told that they get progressively harder during the week, and based on my limited experience that's true.

The Post has theirs online, at least during the week.  Don't know about NYT or others.  I get the Post on weekends and try to find time to work on it.  It's a good exercise as I drift off to sleep at night.  :)

I do it for both fun and in an effort to hold off Alzheimers and dementia.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually do the Post puzzle during my breakfast break.  You're right that figuring out the theme for that day is critical.

I'm absolutely terrible at Sudoku.  I've tried the basic 9 block games and I still struggle with them.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do both the Soduku and the crossword in two papers daily, plus I have a soduku book at home and one at work that I use.
 Post Number: 13
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started doing crosswords when I read a study that one thing that the CEO's of the top 100 companies have in common is that they take the time to do a crossword.
When I ran a small business, my partner and I would do the 2 crosswords in the daily paper over morning coffee and breakfast.
 Post Number: 14
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do the sudoku every...but my favorite of all is the Cryptic Crosswords they do in England.  You can download some through the Globe and Mail in Canada,  Very cool, but you have to remember the English spellings...

I loved Rebecca's explanation.  I'm pretty good, but I ask for help from my wife on obscure literature...and from the kids on pop culture.

Pop doesn't have any!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 15
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love "word jumbles" and play around with crossword puzzles.  I usually don't finish the crosswords.  I'll have 3 or 4 left that I just can't figure out but every once in a great while I'll finish one. :;):

Yeah, I'm a "special" kind of stupid. :p

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldGuyWalkin @ Jan. 13 2013, 6:59 pm)
I started doing crosswords when I read a study that one thing that the CEO's of the top 100 companies have in common is that they take the time to do a crossword.
When I ran a small business, my partner and I would do the 2 crosswords in the daily paper over morning coffee and breakfast.

Reminded me of when I was a messenger, back in another life.  Late in the day, the dispatcher would start doing the crosswords--then get on the radio and read me the clues to ones he couldn't get.  Working a crossword without visual references is an interesting challenge.  The spouse sometimes does that when I'm driving, too.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sudoku when traveling / flying.  I can do any of them, if I just need to kill an hour or so. Local paper has a progressive week, and I stopped doing them before Friday, as the early ones are way too easy.  If I buy a book of Sudoku puzzles, I tear off the portion devoted to easy and moderate, keeping only the difficult and the toughest.

I used to do the Jumble in the paper, then I stopped taking a paper.  April did Crosswords by the hundreds, but not me.

However, if I find a paper with a Bridge hand in it, I will play the hand and see how I did with their solution.  Usually takes me about 5 minutes of concentration to find the solution. 

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 5:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jan. 13 2013, 11:22 pm)
However, if I find a paper with a Bridge hand in it, I will play the hand and see how I did with their solution.  Usually takes me about 5 minutes of concentration to find the solution. 

Bridge is a complete mystery to me.  I see it n the paper and have no idea how to play.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I play sudoku on my iphone and listen to music on Metro every day on the ride home.

Used to do the chess puzzle in the paper, but I haven't in a long time and wonder if it is even still around.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will do Sudoku on an infrequent basis but more than any of the other options.  When I first started playing them it was an obsession but that taper off along with the newness.  I like that they are solved logically without guessing, or at least they should be.  I’ll do word search on occasion but I tend to get bored with crossword puzzles once the obvious answers are done.
 Post Number: 21
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do jigsaw puzzles - use to try real hard ones when I was little and I was good at it.

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My little girl loves jigsaw puzzles and does surprisingly well with more difficult puzzles than I'd expect her to handle.  I have no particular gift for them and lack the attention span to get better.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 15 2013, 3:10 am)
My little girl loves jigsaw puzzles and does surprisingly well with more difficult puzzles than I'd expect her to handle.  I have no particular gift for them and lack the attention span to get better.

There's clearly a relationship between being good at jigsaws and being good at spacial relations, but I'm not sure if one causes the other or if they are both the result of something genetic--suspect the latter.  My Dad and I were the champs, and Second Son is also very good.  Spouse and Eldest Son not so much.  My Mom doesn't even care to try.

Because Dad and I always did them together, jigsaw puzzles have an extra sentimental appeal.  It was one of the few times we just talked about stuff.  One of our last conversations was over a puzzle.  He told me about his time in the army, more than he ever had before (he missed the war by inches,but was in the Occupation in Japan, which sounds like it was mostly just boring, but he got to climb Fuji).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 13 2013, 10:07 pm)

(OldGuyWalkin @ Jan. 13 2013, 6:59 pm)

Reminded me of when I was a messenger, back in another life.  Late in the day, the dispatcher would start doing the crosswords--then get on the radio and read me the clues to ones he couldn't get.  Working a crossword without visual references is an interesting challenge.  The spouse sometimes does that when I'm driving, too.

I carpooled with a neighbor a few years ago...we'd alternate driving weekly.  Whoever wasn't driving had the crossword and would read off clues and whatever letters we'd figured out.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
23 replies since Jan. 13 2013, 2:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply puzzles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions