2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dog botties, Any recommendtions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I took our new border collie out x-country skiing today.  We did almost 10 miles (we're both very tired) in relatively deep but somwewhat packed snow and temps between 5 and 10 degrees.  She did great except for snatching my entire hunk of summer saugage and getting snow balled up in her paws.  Last night I tried triming the hair between her pads as much as I could, but they still balled up causing her obvious discomfort. I'm think of getting some dog booties for her to wear. Anyone out there have any advice or suggestions concerning this. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S.:  Ya, I know I mispelled booties in the title, but I don't know how to edit and correct a thread title.  I could use advice on that too.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 13 2013, 4:51 pm)
Thanks.

P.S.:  Ya, I know I mispelled booties in the title, but I don't know how to edit and correct a thread title.  I could use advice on that too.

You can't.  It's the gerbils' revenge, making us look forever at the results of a moment's bad typing.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get her used to them around the house and in the neighborhood before you go out on a long trip.   Check them often for hot spots and to make sure they aren't coming loose.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 4
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dogbooties.com
Or sew your own - they're really easy. Totally fixed the curse of the iceballs for my dogs...  :p
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out backcountryk9.com - my new favorite site to browse :)

Anything RuffWear seems to get the best reviews and recommendations, but they are pricey.

I have a pair of the REI brand ones waiting for me at the local store to be picked up, I'll report back on how they do.  They were quite a bit cheaper than the RuffWear ones, so I'm skeptical, but at least I know I can return them if they don't work.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years ago, I corresponded quite a bit with some people who raced sleds behind dogs.  They universally recommended, and used, the fleece booties, which they said wore out faster than the harder ones, but were far better for the dog's paws, and are cheap.  The Iditarod requires booties, and I think that almost all teams wear the fleece kind.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If anyone wants or needs a spare one I have a dog bootie that I found out snowshoeing. It's a MANMAT brand and is 6 1/4 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. Just let me know and I'll send it out. I have no use for it, but figured when I found it someone might want or need an extra bootie, so I brought it home.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Jan. 14 2013, 3:43 pm)
someone might want or need an extra bootie, so I brought it home.

Well, thanks for the offer, but my dog would never be caught dead in mismatched booties.  I mean the very idea would make him the laughing stock among his canine  colleagues.  We do have a little pride (very little, actually) :p

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 14 2013, 6:17 pm)
.... my dog would never be caught dead in mismatched booties.  

Aha!  You've begun to understand Border Collies!   :)

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Jim Fuller @ Jan. 14 2013, 9:19 pm)

(hikerjer @ Jan. 14 2013, 6:17 pm)
.... my dog would never be caught dead in mismatched booties.  

Aha!  You've begun to understand Border Collies!   :)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 11
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interestingly enough, I'm checking out the same thing.

I found this, but haven't tried it.

http://www.entirelypets.com/mushers....d_zcASg
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Jan. 16 2013, 12:52 pm)
I found this, but haven't tried it.

http://www.entirelypets.com/mushers....d_zcASg

Wonder if anyone has.  If so, please respond.

Thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got my dog the Ruffwear ones.  Vibram soles.  Yup, they cost more than my trail runners.
http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3?sc=2&category=11

I wasn't sure how well they'd work, whether my dog would tolerate them, if they'd stay on... so I went to check them out at REI, talked to the salesperson and bought them there because she told me to just bring them back if my dog hated them.

Everytime I put them on him, I tell myself that I really have to make a video because it's an absolute hoot!  He walks around the house really goofy, kind of a floppy high-step.  But I have to say that they've never come off.  My dog does have really big paws though.

They work well on the snow, exactly as intended.  He comes sledding with us and doesn't have any traction issues going up and down hills with packed snow/ice.  I would get the red or a bright color so that if one does come off, you can spot it easier.  Gray seems like a bad choice to me.  I take them off him as soon as he gets off the snow -- lessen the chance of him chewing them off.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

another vote for dogbooties.com

the musher's secret is a great product.  WE apply it at the trailhead, and spend the time to get it between the paws.   you'll want a rag or dishtowel for your hands afterward.

You can also make your own mushers secret with 6 or 7 ounces of canola oil, a big glob of lanolin and a 1 ounce bar of beeswax.  mix together on low heat then set aside.  I like mine a bit soft with a consistency like petroleum jelly so I'll see how it sets up and sparingly add more oil after heating up to get the right consistency.
 Post Number: 15
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Mushers Secret, it works but as mentioned you need a rag (or pants in my case) and you have to reapply during the day if you cover a lot of ground.

If you can find dog boots that stay on well they are less messy.
 Post Number: 16
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone know why wolves don't have problems with iceballs?
Perhaps they do but I've never heard of them having paw issues.

Things that make you go hmmm
 Post Number: 17
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 16 2013, 2:47 pm)
I got my dog the Ruffwear ones.  Vibram soles.  Yup, they cost more than my trail runners.
http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3?sc=2&category=11

I wasn't sure how well they'd work, whether my dog would tolerate them, if they'd stay on... so I went to check them out at REI, talked to the salesperson and bought them there because she told me to just bring them back if my dog hated them.

Everytime I put them on him, I tell myself that I really have to make a video because it's an absolute hoot!  He walks around the house really goofy, kind of a floppy high-step.  But I have to say that they've never come off.  My dog does have really big paws though.

They work well on the snow, exactly as intended.  He comes sledding with us and doesn't have any traction issues going up and down hills with packed snow/ice.  I would get the red or a bright color so that if one does come off, you can spot it easier.  Gray seems like a bad choice to me.  I take them off him as soon as he gets off the snow -- lessen the chance of him chewing them off.

So, I bought a pair of the RuffWear Barkn Boots yesterday.  I walk the dog a couple miles each morning and she was having trouble with the snow balling up in her pads.

The process was hilarious and she walked pretty funny for the first few minutes.  (I only made her wear them on her front paws for the first time out)

The problem we had was that she still got ice balled up right at the top edge of the boot.  She's got long curly hair (Airedale) so other dogs might not have this problem.  I felt like we stopped to adjust the boots or clear the ice from the top more often than I would have to stop and clear ice from her paws.   So the jury is still out on whether we keep these or not.  I'll give them a few more tries...

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 18
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your dog sure likes sausage!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 19
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a related note, are doggie booties strong enough to prevent say a cholla thorn from going through them?  My parents' dog Abbey needs a pair for their tramps around the desert.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 20
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Feb. 05 2013, 10:55 am)
The problem we had was that she still got ice balled up right at the top edge of the boot.  She's got long curly hair (Airedale) so other dogs might not have this problem.  I felt like we stopped to adjust the boots or clear the ice from the top more often than I would have to stop and clear ice from her paws.   So the jury is still out on whether we keep these or not.  I'll give them a few more tries...

Oliver (my dog) has long 'feathers' that do the same thing, so I trim them up to about his elbows and that's worked for us.  But I'm pretty sure RuffWear makes a "boot height" version of the booties, with a built-in gaiter as it were.  You might search for those.

(tarol @ Feb. 05 2013, 11:27 am)
On a related note, are doggie booties strong enough to prevent say a cholla thorn from going through them?  My parents' dog Abbey needs a pair for their tramps around the desert.

Hmm... not sure.  The RuffWear ones are like wearing a Fivefingers, imo.  The vibram sole is just on the bottom and the rest is fabric.  The fabric is pretty sturdy and tightly woven (like the ballistic fabric on my Timbuk2 messenger bag.)  Not sure that it would be cholla-proof but it's sturdier than my mesh trail shoes.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 21
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Feb. 05 2013, 11:27 am)

The bottom (sole) of these is pretty tough (Vibram soles) but the upper is a thick fabric that a thorn could probably go through.

Tigerfan - I have seen the taller ones, just not sure if I want to spend that much and also imagine how much harder those will be to get on all 4 legs.  We'll see, maybe I'll try the musher stuff.

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 22
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My dog wears the RuffWear boots in both the desert and the snow, and on rock, and on...blah blah blah (you can just barely see them on his feet in my avatar pic). He did not like them at first, but now will come up to me and whimper and lift a paw if he wants/needs them.

You can buy socks from RuffWear for them as well, and for my dog, the socks are necessary. His boots tend to slip down just enough to hook under his dew claw, then when he takes the next step you can tell it REALLY hurts. The socks cover the dew claws, so that problem is solved.

The only other problem is that my dog is FAST so he does tend to throw a boot or two now and then. Haven't figured to a way to prevent that other than maybe use some athletes tape, but I have yet to try it. I bought the red ones and they are indeed easy to find, lol. :)

As far as chola, they do not penetrate the Vibram outsole, but they DO penetrate the upper mesh material. I carry a multi-tool for thorn removal, but he rarely gets into cactus anymore.

The super heavy-duty winter (tall) boots seem to be well made just like any RuffWear product, but nearly every review I have seen mentions that they come off really easily. I will be buying some to make my own judgement.

I figure if I spend a good deal of time and money to protect my feet, I should be willing to do the same for my little buddy. He probably has more backpacking gear than most people. :D

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
21 replies since Jan. 13 2013, 7:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dog botties
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions