2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2013 Vacation Plans< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those of us who are requesting vacation dates for 2013 a quick reminder

Pickle Gulch is Sept. 20 - 22

HOTB is October 25 - 27

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the end of this month I'm going to Memphis to watch my cousin compete in the International Blues Challange. His band won the regionals in the Columbus area in October.

I'm trying to get time off in March to do a section of the Arizona Trail.

In June, I'm going to the 40th Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Colorado.

Around Thanksgiving, I'm doing another stretch of the Arizona Trail.

Hopefully, around Christmas, I'll go visit Mom and Brother in Logan, Ohio.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am retired. We don't get any vacation.  I am hanging arounf cold western Pa. til the end of Jan. when all the tax stuff should be here. I may spend a few days and get all the taxes done. I think I'll head south maybe have a beer with a friend in Asheville. Do some hiking and biking in Nc. Mosey down to northern Al. Do more hiking, biking and climbing. Head over to Tx. and visit some family as well as hike, bike, and rock climb. I would also like to go to Co. first of Sept. to get used to the lack of o2 before PG. Then some more hiking etc. while ambling over to Vegas where I have some relatives. I could then slide into HOTB. I wonder how much of that I will get done and what else I'll do this year.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snowshoe trip in February and Car Camping in July. Other than that, no real plans yet.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roadtrip to CO next month :)

After that who knows

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 6
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Someday I'd like to swing by HOTB, but October is our busiest time at work.  Also my favorite time to camp in Illinois.

Looks like I'm going to be a week too early to come to Pickle Gulch - my Colorado trip this year will be 8/31 - 9/15.  Still fleshing out the details, but plan to visit some new areas like the Sangre de Christos and San Juans.  

Aside from that, heading to the Boundary Waters for a week in July, Vermont girls weekend in late September and hopefully (fingers crossed!) Yellowstone for Christmas.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can never tell very far in advance.  If I go somewhere interesting, I'll grab some time.
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I have several trips planned out for the year. We are planning to do part of the Superior Hiking Trail,  bp at Grand Island in Michigan, a 5 day 4 night canoe trip on the Manistee River in MI,  and hopefully if the water level is up this year do several overnight canoe trips on the Lower Wisconsin River. Then in the Fall do some bping up at Kickapoo Valley Preserve and possibly do some snowshoeing up there again still this season if they get more snow.
 Post Number: 9
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far have a few things lined up.  For Spring break we are going to Okinawa for a week.  3 days at a guest house on Miyako-jima snorkeling & sea-kayaking.  I've never been to that island but my wife says its very beautiful and looking forward to it.  The remainder of the week on the main island shopping & site seeing.  Fourth of July weekend will be my annual sojourn to Mt Fuji and then the last week of July off to the states for two weeks to visit family.  Will arrive in Chicago, spend two nights there and then drive up to Michigan.  Still planning out that trip but have already locked on Tigers tickets for Jul 30 vs. the Nationals, will probably spend a night or two in Detroit with a trip across the border into Windsor.  Also thinking about heading up to Mackinaw Island for couple days as both my wife & daughter want to spend time there.  That's it for big plans this year, probably some long weekends locally sprinkled in throughout the year.  Cheers!

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got a long list of want to do's and a short list of inflexible days off.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A week at an ecoresort in the USVI, a long weekend in NYC mostly for theatre, and of course HOTB. :). Not sure what else is in the cards for 2013.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Jan. 14 2013, 5:28 pm)
A week at an ecoresort in the USVI...

It wouldn't happen to be the ecotents on Maho Bay, by Ram Head, would it?  I think they've changed hands somewhere in the last few years since we were there.
 Post Number: 13
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In late April/early May wife and I are heading to Moab and Torrey to hike, in June we are trippin' in the BWCA, in July either RMNP or Montana to hike, fall will find us in no Wisc or Upper Mi hiking. Hopefully, we'll either hit the Smokes in early spring or so MO  at that time. Can't do early March as my wife is having cataract surgery. Such is retirement.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 14
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

southern Utah in May to mtn bike with my brother and our sons
Idaho in August to hike with my son
NYC with my wife, our son and wife
Working on the details of each trip now, that is half the fun.
 Post Number: 15
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll probably do the same thing I have for years.Walk down the hill to my rancho, get crosseyed drunk and smoke some guapote ( LOL It's a type of fish).

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 16
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning on a cross country bicycle trip. Going to try SF to DC again.  That will take last part of July, all of August and the first part of September.  Much as I'd like to make Pickle Gulch, I don't think I can do them both.  BTW,  What's HOTB?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 14 2013, 7:46 pm)
 BTW,  What's HOTB?

"Halloween on the Bayou", it's our southern brethren and sisters version of Pickle Gulch. Instead of hiking up 13/14 nr's they go kayaking with Water Moccasins and Alligators.

Hoping for another week in Moab/AZ in early March. 40th HS Reunion in July. A few overnighters. Thanksgiving in Moab/AZ.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're thinking about the Canadian Rockies this summer. Other than that, nothing firm.  DH and the boys don't align for spring break and ES can't miss that week of school, so I may need to plan a trip with the boys without the spouse (and he may go with his brother and not the rest of us when it's his turn).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's vacation?
Y'all better post pics since it's the only trail I'll see this year.
 Post Number: 20
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Attending US Figure Skating Championships in Omaha later this month. Have a reservation for 5 days in the Maze over Spring Break.  Currently sorting out my schedule, need a week in Colorado for #99 and #100.

Good Luck Hikerjer! Kick my Congressional representives in the you know where when you get to DC. SWT thanks for the acronym details for HOTB.
 Post Number: 21
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about a dose of "no freaking clue" effective today  :D

I am a freshman organizer in a state non-profit and I have to plan a number of hikes and trips in my area of Wyoming that range from birding in wildlands to wilderness campaigns, but recreational planning is on hold until the calendar is mapped out. Only one week of paid vacation, but with a 160 hr/month limit and doing summer field work where a 40 hr week can be had in 3.5 days easy, the comp time can accumulate quickly.

A new relationship with a super-packer of her own, and a close one with another, have plenty of ideas and motivation already in action doing winter hikes long and short.

I will post a plan soon.

And then there is Chuck D's nod to Pickle Gulch...oh man to have the nine month reach on my crystal ball. :;):

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 22
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jan. 14 2013, 4:44 pm)

It wouldn't happen to be the ecotents on Maho Bay, by Ram Head, would it?  I think they've changed hands somewhere in the last few years since we were there.

Probably the same - http://www.maho.org/

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 23
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HOTB ... here's a sampling from 2011:

--------------
 Post Number: 24
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got tentative plans for a trip to Florida in March, and I want to go to PG and HOTB, but I will be on a different shift and I won't be getting that schedule for a month or two. We'll see.  :)
 Post Number: 25
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several short ones, and maybe two longer vacations this year.
Hoping to hike in 14-16 different states. Just wanting to do something different...
For my "weekends", AL and GA are a given, plus looking for something in MS. Will also hike on the whatchamacallit Naval Trail in FL on a quick beach trip, just to add FL to the list.

Road trips with 1-3 vacation days:
Back to Big South Fork to hit TN, KY, plus Mt. Rogers in VA-probably soon.
Wild Azalea Trail in LA with a friend in March.
NC/SC, around DuPont and Table Rock state parks.
Somewhere in central AR.
Savage Gulf in TN.

"Big trips"
UT, NV, and AZ, early spring or late fall, maybe both, undecided. Waiting to see what the winter snowfall is like.
Big "if", but possibly the Teton Crest Trail in WY, and a day or so nearby in the Idaho Springs area. If I don't have the cash, probably the Foothills trail in SC instead.
 Post Number: 26
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Jan. 15 2013, 12:17 am)

(reubenstump @ Jan. 14 2013, 4:44 pm)

Probably the same - http://www.maho.org/

That's it.  Nice place.  We stayed in an ecotent.  The wind came screaming in every night, making the tents quite noisy, but it was OK.  Water heated by the sun for showers, etc.  The beach below is pretty good, and you should take the hike from the beach out to Ram Head, but be careful looking down when you get there - it's sure death if you go over.

We were in one of the units 13-16.  A LOT of steps up to the road.

Looks like this is their alternate site.
 Post Number: 27
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm booked up January through December but the rest of the year is wide open. :p

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 28
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're shooting for Banff in a few months but nothing is booked yet.  The Keys later in the year.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 29
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It all depends on how my health holds out. I am hoping for one more good summer, now that my daughter is home, I have a hiking buddy again. There is a basin in the Uintas I peeked into last year that I would like to spend a few days exploring, and maybe, just maybe, if I can swing the finances, would like to go back to France and Belgium where I lived 1977-79. Haven't been back in over three decades. We'll see what happens.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 30
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Jan. 14 2013, 12:58 pm)
I think I'll head south maybe have a beer with a friend in Asheville. Do some hiking and biking in Nc. Mosey down to northern Al. Do more hiking, biking and climbing.

Holler before you come to AL.  Always nice to meet other forumites.

Lessee..."plans"...I'd like to do the spindle death march (or at least PG) and HotB.  I've been told I'm going to Orlando for a week in late April/early May for some very non-backpacker related vacation.  Possibly a few days of Cub Scout camp in July with middle son.  And the semi-random weekend out whenever I can grab one.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
40 replies since Jan. 14 2013, 1:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2013 Vacation Plans
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions