2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Darwin nods< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 5:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic....5-42-17

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"... just after the photo was snapped, the rhino attacked, and its horn penetrated Beyers' chest from behind, resulting in a collapsed lung and broken ribs," Wow, I'll bet that hurt! And an interesting time in the ER cleaning that little wound!

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, it's ok to recognize this idiot as a Darwin Award contender, but unacceptable to see the same kind of mental failure on the part of the Dad who kills himself and his two sons from hypothermia on a major trail??

Interesting that so many identify with the ill prepared Dad who made an even deadlier decision than the rhino petter.  Whatever.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the insensitivity was that two innocent children were killed by the other guys actions.  They did not do anything to deserve that.  

I can't help but think that standing in front of a pickup truck size animal with a giant spike on his nose is higher on the Darwin Award list than the guy who miss read the weather conditions.
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jan. 16 2013, 5:45 pm)
So, it's ok to recognize this idiot as a Darwin Award contender, but unacceptable to see the same kind of mental failure on the part of the Dad who kills himself and his two sons from hypothermia on a major trail??

Interesting that so many identify with the ill prepared Dad who made an even deadlier decision than the rhino petter.  Whatever.

Why do youkeep comimgback here?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a public forum you know.
I personally enjoy the variety.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Jan. 16 2013, 4:46 pm)
I think the insensitivity was that two innocent children were killed by the other guys actions.  They did not do anything to deserve that.  

I can't help but think that standing in front of a pickup truck size animal with a giant spike on his nose is higher on the Darwin Award list than the guy who miss read the weather conditions.

I somewhat disagree about the woman who was injured. The story says the couple were following the directions of the wildlife park's owner, who I also might have assumed as they seem to have that the person familiar with the animal wasn't directing them into danger. I might have assumed that despite the rhino's formidable appearance that it was like the huge male at the San Diego Wild Animal Park that would run up to the tour truck for treats just like a six thousand pound puppy dog. The explanation was he was from Germany where zoological park policy is to hand raise the larger animals to ensure a stress free for the animal and safe for the curators, avenue for medical examinations and overall handling. Give the big guy his beloved sweet potatoes and he was yours.

That the owner would be so foolish could easily come as a surprise.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To me, a Darwin Award would be something like ignoring all warnings from your guide, then climbing over some barrier... just to get a closer shot at some animals.

Common sense is acquired from experience.  I don't fault city folks with no rhino experience for trusting their guides (or in this case a game park owner who's presumably licensed and all).

It's a tragedy.  I don't think the woman deserves the Darwin award -- or the mockery.  The person responsible here is the game park owner.  My two cents.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, no Darwin award here...
For a start to be awarded a Darwin you have to die otherwise you are just a "candidate", secondly because she was following directions from someone that should have known  better and was in a position of trust, it wasn't entirely her fault.

On an elephant ride in Nepal we went rhino watching.
Having dismounted and having had the lecture about the perils and what to do we (about 6 of us plus guide) started observing a rhino from across a shallow and not too wide river.
At some point the guide gave the signal that the rhino was about to come our way so everybody bolted to "safety" I was next to the guide and noticed a glint in his eye so did not bother to move, neither did the rhino...
Of course if he had charged it would have been another story...

Back to the Darwin award...
It does not apply to the father and two kids either because :
First rule
"Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. "
So that rules out activities that are normally safe but end in tragedy because of an accident, in this case change of weather and getting lost.
Read the rest of the rules here :
http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/
 Post Number: 10
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oooh, oooh, is it cabin fever time already? :laugh:

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 11
trailweaver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One other point about the father and sons that I haven't seen mentioned (and maybe I missed it?) is that hypothermia impairs judgement.  At some point he may have realized they were in trouble, but it was too late.  Up until that moment, he was cold, tired, etc., but thought he was O.K. and would get everyone home all right.
10 replies since Jan. 16 2013, 5:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Darwin nods
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions