2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite month for a trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 7:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I just added a new post to my blog talking about the best times to hike.  

I want to know everyone's thoughts on here?  What are the best months for a hike?  I know I'm starting to get a little cabin fever... having not been out on a rock climbing or backpacking trip for a month or so.  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

February with about 12 - 18" of fresh snow. 20*-30* would be just about right too.   After that, September. Less crowds, cooler temps.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends upon what part of the country/world you are talking about and what conditions you like to hike in.  

And, no, I did not click through to your blog.  Best to post here rather than just use this site to try to boost your traffic.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in the Northern Rocky Mountains. I've gone 24 years of hiking / backpacking in every month of the year, every year. So I have no favorite month.

Adapt and enjoy. Each month has something to offer.

(I also agree with Deborah on not visiting your blog.)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 5
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The favorite month would be very location specific.
However, I’ll tell you what my favorite times of the month are:
New Moon – The stars will knock your socks off
Full Moon – No supplemental lighting required, and creepy shadows that change all night long.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 6
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually shoot for Sept.  Still nice out, days aren't too short yet, bugs are gone, and school is in session.  For desert hikes, the 1st week of Oct, although the days are starting to get short.
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IN the Rockies, July and August are usually the best.
 Post Number: 8
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the fall - September being my favorite month (when I usually head to the Rockies for two weeks - perfect hiking weather!) and October is usually pretty nice back in the Midwest.  

Summer is probably my least favorite - not a big fan of the heat, so I tend to do more kayaking in the hot months.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fall, winter, and spring for the desert
Fall and spring for the foothills
Summer for the mountains

- all are within a few minutes of where we live, so backpacking is year-round :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late July / early August is when we usually go, for logistical reasons.  But I think Sept. is often better, except for flowers. . . Spring in the desert, but I don't like long dark cold nights so not a fan of winter trips.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I did a 4-day hike in the Grand Canyon back in May of last year.  It was pretty busy... couldn't get the itinerary we wanted even with 5 months advance planning.  I have friend that went in January and walked up to the Backcountry Office and got the trip he wanted... it pays to go in the off season! :-D  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early September in warmer seasons.  Late February in winter.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March\April. Depending upon weather, sometimes May.

Late September, October, November.

May through August, are frequently in the 100's
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 17 2013, 6:32 am)
Adapt and enjoy. Each month has something to offer.

This.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

September in the mountains
October/November in the desert
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only any of the ones with a vowel in it's name.

I know, kinda rigid with a strict rule like that. But that's just me.
 Post Number: 17
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like them all but when I worked, I always took as much vacation as possible in october. I think it is beautiful everywhere in october. I have not been further west than Texas and Colorado though.
 Post Number: 18
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 17 2013, 8:33 am)
The favorite month would be very location specific.
However, I’ll tell you what my favorite times of the month are:
New Moon – The stars will knock your socks off
Full Moon – No supplemental lighting required, and creepy shadows that change all night long.

I looooove hiking during new moon!

My favorite month for hiking is September, but my least favorite is mid October because of the spider webs.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 19
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking is best in February and March at Death Valley National Park and Anza Borrego State Park.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 20
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife's would be the Fall, Mine is any month I can get out there and do it.
 Post Number: 21
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best?
Anytime May to April.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 22
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid August to mid September in the Mountains, mid March to mid April on the Colorado Plateau.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 23
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any month for me. I rarely get out in October, November or December anymore due to decorations, work, and family obligations. These days, I enjoy snowshoeing more than summer hiking. I like the extra added "kick" of nasty weather.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 24
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends on the locale for "3-season gear".

Typically May for New Mexico, winter->spring for coastal California and the low desert of there and AZ, and late summer->early fall for the Rockies and Sierras.  June is wildfire season down here and July is lightning season.  

I've done work trips in the PNW for July and am sure I'd enjoy the Olympic Mtns (along with the rest of the USA).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 25
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(stuthetraveler @ Jan. 17 2013, 5:25 am)
So I just added a new post to my blog talking about the best times to hike.  

I want to know everyone's thoughts on here?  What are the best months for a hike?  I know I'm starting to get a little cabin fever... having not been out on a rock climbing or backpacking trip for a month or so.  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

Here in the Northern Rockies, August through mid September hand's-down. Mosquitoes are at their lightest, weather is wonderful.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 26
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here just about anytime works but my favorite season is mid September through the end of November.  The air is crisp & fresh, temperatures are nice & cool, and the fall colors are amazing.

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 17 2013, 3:10 pm)
Any month for me. I rarely get out in October, November or December anymore due to decorations, work, and family obligations. These days, I enjoy snowshoeing more than summer hiking. I like the extra added "kick" of nasty weather.

Tigger, totally agree!  I love it when we get a day of rain or if you wake up to snow.  Adds an element of adventure to the trip!  Had a full day of rain followed by temps dipping below freezing at night and sleet overnight on one trip... loved it!  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 28
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here in Idaho's mountains and high elevation deserts, September can't be beat.  I love to go to southern Utah in October or April.  My favorite spring ritual when the thaw cooperates is to go to the Salmon River or Hells Canyon (lower elevation locales in Idaho) in March.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 29
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like late July when the Mozzies are just about gone, to September. Good weather, balmy days and  having the trail to yourself.
 Post Number: 30
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 1:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Utah, early March and late October into early November.
About the same here in the South, March through April, and November into early December.
I'm actually happy to get out year-round(different seasons just mean different kinds of beautiful!), though the bugs and humidity here get a little old sometimes.
33 replies since Jan. 17 2013, 7:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Favorite month for a trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions