2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiker found dead in Smokies Shelter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:54 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiker found dead in Smokies
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ataylor @ Jan. 17 2013, 9:54 am)

Yikes....this sort of reminds me of that story several years ago where a man who was dying of cancer went out with the intention of dying doing what he loved. He let himself freeze to death.

I hope this man didn't suffer too much.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 3
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's not good at all.  What do you do if you were to come up on something like that... especially if you didn't have a cell phone signal?  I wonder what the cause of death was?  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(stuthetraveler @ Jan. 17 2013, 11:10 am)
That's not good at all.  What do you do if you were to come up on something like that... especially if you didn't have a cell phone signal?

Hike out and find a ranger.  If the guy's already dead, there's no particular need to rush a chopper in there ASAP.  Sooner is better than later for obvious reasons, but it's no longer an emergency.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 5
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday was a pretty nice day. Sunday the rain and cooler temps came in, and it has rained and hovered around 40* ever since. Tricorner is over halfway into the trip he was doing and I wonder if it was his first or second night.
Sad news at any rate.  :(
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's too bad. I wonder if maybe he had a heart attack.
 Post Number: 7
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well if your going to go hopefully it was pain less and doing something you love.
 Post Number: 8
ethanr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We hiked to icewater from mt leconte saturday night, one shelter away from there.  There was a guy that came in late saturday evening from tricorners, he had to have passed him on the trail.  Something you really hate to hear for sure.
 Post Number: 9
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WBrim @ Jan. 17 2013, 4:40 pm)
Well if your going to go hopefully it was pain less and doing something you love.

+1

In a shelter, no foul play -- sounds like heart attack, stroke, something like that.

Of course it is sad when someone passes away, but if this indeed was from natural causes then he would have died anyway. It could have happened while he was at work, or at home, or behind the wheel of his car the could end up killing or hurting someone else. If he was on the trail presumably it was a passion of his, so at least he went out sucking the marrow of life on his last breath. RIP.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's not good at all.  What do you do if you were to come up on something like that... especially if you didn't have a cell phone signal?  I wonder what the cause of death was?  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

Gee. How did the human race ever survive and evolve for the ~2.3 million years before cell phones?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 18 2013, 8:56 am)

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

Gee. How did the human race ever survive and evolve for the ~2.3 million years before cell phones?

Dogs with casks.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 12
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 18 2013, 8:56 am)

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

The vast majority didn't.
 Post Number: 13
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here' s an update i got from the park's pio......

"Great Smoky Mountains National Park Rangers have identified the deceased hiker found at Tricorner Knob as Richard Lemarr, age 50, from Knoxville, TN. Due to the remote location and inclement weather, Tennessee Highway Patrol successfully evacuated the deceased today using their hoist helicopter.

Lemarr was discovered deceased at Tricorner Knob Shelter by Rangers early Wednesday afternoon, January 16, 2013. Lemarr left Newfound Gap on Saturday morning intending to hike 30 miles along the Appalachian Trail to Davenport Gap in North Carolina. Rangers have remained at Tricorner Knob Shelter since the discovery and the shelter has been closed to the public.  

Park Rangers are investigating the incident with the assistance of the Swain County Medical Examiner’s Office. The cause of death does not appear to be suspicious. "
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Jan. 17 2013, 7:16 pm)

(WBrim @ Jan. 17 2013, 4:40 pm)

+1

In a shelter, no foul play -- sounds like heart attack, stroke, something like that.

Of course it is sad when someone passes away, but if this indeed was from natural causes then he would have died anyway. It could have happened while he was at work, or at home, or behind the wheel of his car the could end up killing or hurting someone else. If he was on the trail presumably it was a passion of his, so at least he went out sucking the marrow of life on his last breath. RIP.

+1 on that.  People die in far worse ways every day.

I'll just tip my hat and raise a drink to the guy going out doing something he enjoyed.  I should be so lucky when my time comes.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
13 replies since Jan. 17 2013, 9:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiker found dead in Smokies Shelter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions