2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Chevy Volt as a trailhead car?, Crazy? Or not?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone here have a Volt and use it to access the trails?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't believe the Volt would have the range I would need. I take my Prius to any trailhead where the road conditions allow it (anything but gravel for more than a km or two). I can get to Jasper & back (4 hours each way) on less than 40 litres.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I agree with Pete.  But if you have THs in the range of the Volt. . . why not?  Does it lose the charge if it's parked for a week without being plugged in?

BTW, Pete--we use a Prius, too.  We've taken it on a fair bit of gravel, too, but it does have to be pretty well graded--not much clearance, especially when we are fully loaded (there are four of us. . . ).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Volt has the same range as any gas-fueled car. It has a small gas tank that fuels an electric generator for reserve power.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 6:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How's the ground clearence?

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chevy Volt as a trailhead car?

That would depend on the trailhead around here. Trailheads that are close to paved roads might be okay. Others further into the mountains might tear the Volt up.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've driven a Toyota Camry in some seriously rough terrain with no problems. It was small enough that it went in the pot holes instead of having to deal with clearance. As Travis stated, it depends on the road. Clearance is the only thing I would be concerned about and any place I can think of that I start at, I wouldn't be concerned about except for maybe two.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take my Mustang. It has a better radio and the heater works.

It would be cool if the TH had an outlet you could plug in to.

Tesla has a deal working on the West Coast that if you buy a Tesla, their recharging stations are free.
 Post Number: 9
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(craigwill @ Jan. 18 2013, 2:33 am)
The Volt has the same range as any gas-fueled car. It has a small gas tank that fuels an electric generator for reserve power.

Ha ... I knew that actually. Totally brain fart! :D

I guess my head was thinking that I'd run out of juice for most trips, and be relying on the gas engine - way more than the car is intended for optium use. For me, it would never make sense unless the electric range was 400 kms or so. Maybe in another ten years!

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roadbed clearance is my only litmus test.

What were the OP's concerns?
 Post Number: 11
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The thing has a low air dam in front, evidently one can request a not quite as low dam. I was wondering if any of you probably left coasters had first hand experience but I guess all of y'uns go right for the Prii. :)
 Post Number: 12
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with HSF that clearance is the question.  And it may be that scraping a rock against that front-end cowling could damage parts of the vehicle early after you buy it.

But that is not the clearance area that I would be most concerned about. It's plastic and easy to replace. What I would be concerned about is everything else under the front end of the vehicle. Is it shielded or otherwise reinforced and protected?

With that in mind, you are the only one who can answer your question. And I agree that it is a question of clearance. What are your trailhead roads like? How much rock? How rutted? Depths of ruts? Don't just worry about that air dam. It may be the least of your clearance problems. What else is there under the Volt to tear up?

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 13
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 4:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here you go:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location Wyoming
12 replies since Jan. 17 2013, 11:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Chevy Volt as a trailhead car?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions