2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Scents, Smells, Aroma, Odor...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 2:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are your favorite and least favorite?

Moi, some that I dislike (excluding the real obvious):

o  engine room smells
o  oddly -- bakery smells

Some that I like:

o  leather stores
o  bookstores (esp. those that have the 'scotch tape' smell)

My ALL TIME FAVORITE?  The whiff from a wad of mint dollar bills.  Love the scent; nothing to do with monetary value.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislike - engine exhaust
most perfumes, with the exception of Chanel #5 (my Mom's perfume)

Love - Jeffrey Pine Tree bark, especially old trees soaking in the sun
Sagebrush and chaparral after the rain
Leopard Lilies

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislikes:
Denture odor

mowed grass
BACON!
cookies in the oven
smell of the woods in the Fall

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 4
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My accupuncturist says vegans put off a bad odor when they're being treated. I'm guessing bacon eaters put off a really nice aroma.
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call me crazy but I adore the smell of a dead hooker. Up to about a week. After that they smell kinda like rotting cheese.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

smells:
dislike
doooog do on my shoes
diesel fuel
dirty pus

pine
many flowers

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like: the scent of a fresh-scrubbed woman, of course!
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislike: Farts, body odor

Like: The woods

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Worst Smell while hiking:

Bull Moose Carcass- Reader Lakes Area, High Uintas, Utah

Best Smell While Hiking:

Balsam Fir Krummholz, Temple Mountain, Wapack Trail, New Hampshire
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislikes:
●civilization/urban areas
●artificial body scents
●tobacco smoke
●alcohol, particularly old or stale
●snow
●rain

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like:
Lilacs, freshly cut grass, cucumbers, popcorn
Dislike:
tobacco smoke, too much perfume
 Post Number: 12
trailweaver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislike:  Smells of garbage rotting or a carcass in the water (haven't come up on one in the woods, but have had several in the rivers I paddle)

Likes:  Channel # 5 (my cologne), Iris flowers in the spring, smells of the woods after a light rain
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 3:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Worst smells I've encountered are all dead things. The sperm whale carcass was the nastiest and two long hot showers did not help. When a rat dies in the walls of the house is bad but not even close to the whale

The best smells to me
A sawmill. My dad used to always smell like one.
Coffee is good
and even though I know it is a bad smell I love it for the memories of wonderful summers on my great uncles hog farm

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for reminding me of all the great smells like freshly-mown lawns, which don't quickly come to mind with all the recent snow!

dislikes: watermelon

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The bathwater of a good looking woman that isn't a vegan ain't bad.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dislike:

Freshly mown hay
Bitter almonds
Mustard plants

:;):

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 17
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A freshly run over skunk on the highway.  Weekdays along my work commute route is a large auto wrecker yard with many ancient hulks that is beside a marshy area of San Francisco Bay.  Seems a lot of skunks live there and for a couple miles they are frequent roadkill.  Each time I get the first whiff, I quickly jam down on my remote power window buttons.

The public restroom at a shoreline park along Galveston Bay in Texas on a hot humid summer weekend day when it looked like no county park workers had cleaned it for weeks and of course the toilets were all plugged and over the rims.  

Walking down along the surf waterline of one of our Pacific beaches smelling the fresh ocean salt air when suddenly one gets a whiff of an utterly disgusting dead seal that is rotting in the hot sun higher up on the sand of a beach.   Wohhhhhhh gag me!

-----------------------------

Occasionally I like to visit some of our urban rose gardens and when there am one to stick my nose right up into many cultured rose varieties trying to find those with the best fragrance.

A chocolate shop especially where they are making some of the candy right there.

Fresh out of a hot oven apple pie.

I've experienced wandering about in a long list of massive wildflower fields.  All such places have wonderful fragrances but some species are simply better.  One of the best fragrances is the combination of dense freshly blooming goldfields, lasthenia californica, mixed with California poppies, eschscholtzia californica.  Not only is the fragrance wonderful but the visual at midday is blindingly saturated.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-h10-3.html

Another one of our most fragrant California desert wildflowers is desertgold, geraea canescens.  In the great Death Valley bloom of 2005 roaming for miles into the vast flower fields about Ashford Mills was nauseatingly delicious.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-d9-2.html

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 18
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Likes In No Particular Order:

Hoppes no.9
India
Fir Forest
Rotting New England Leaves In The Fall
Jet Fuel
Pipe Smoke
The North Atlantic
Elk
Leather
Antelope
Horse
WM Sleeping Bags
Good Wine
Books
Freshly Laundered Sheets
Cooking Crab
Freshly Cut Grass
Woodsmoke
Sawdust

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait a minute -- I can't believe I am the only one around here who loves the smell of a wad of crisp, new dollar bills??   :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 20
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 7:18 pm)
Wait a minute -- I can't believe I am the only one around here who loves the smell of a wad of crisp, new dollar bills??   :D

I don't like singles so much, but twenties are OK.
 Post Number: 21
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 5:18 pm)

Can't stand the grubby smell of money... I DO like what it can do, but that's it.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 20 2013, 4:53 pm)

Can't stand the grubby smell of money... I DO like what it can do, but that's it.

I am talking about a fresh wad -- brand, spanking new.  No one (that I know of) likes the smell of grubby money -- esp. the kind that's oily and blackened with very extended use.

Not saying that you have to like the smell of new money... just wanting to make sure you knew I was referring to NEW money.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 7:56 pm)

I am talking about a fresh wad -- brand, spanking new.  No one (that I know of) likes the smell of grubby money -- esp. the kind that's oily and blackened with very extended use.

Not saying that you have to like the smell of new money... just wanting to make sure you knew I was referring to NEW money.

How new do you mean?  Maybe we've finally struck on the secret of Ben's success.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 24
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 19 2013, 4:10 pm)
Call me crazy but I adore the smell of a dead hooker. Up to about a week. After that they smell kinda like rotting cheese.

There once was a hermit named Dave
Who kept a dead whore in his cave
She smelled like $4it
Was missing a +it
But think of the money he saved
 Post Number: 25
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dislikes: Diesel exhaust
Loves: freshly burned black powder
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 20 2013, 5:01 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 7:56 pm)

How new do you mean?  Maybe we've finally struck on the secret of Ben's success.   :laugh:

Oh man, busted!!   :O

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smells? I think my nose was burnt out from growing up on a farm.  There isn't much that is truly horrible to me.  The new money thing got me thinking, though.  There are definitely things I can not stand the feel of! Like new money!  Hate touching it! Blech!  And cotton balls! But to play along, I like that acidic smell rain gets sometimes.  My nephew's feet....not so much.  :D
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 20 2013, 6:43 pm)
There are definitely things I can not stand the feel of! Like new money!  Hate touching it! Blech!

Next time you are confronted with new money, please let me know so I can remove them for you!   :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 6:44 pm)

There are definitely things I can not stand the feel of! Like new money!  Hate touching it! Blech!

Next time you are confronted with new money, please let me know so I can remove them for you!   :;):

There's no getting away from it during the holidays, Ben. I work in a bank.  I'm sure they would frown on me giving it away...  :p

Happy New Years, by the way!  :)
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 20 2013, 8:05 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jan. 20 2013, 6:44 pm)

There's no getting away from it during the holidays, Ben. I work in a bank.  I'm sure they would frown on me giving it away...  :p

Happy New Years, by the way!  :)

Haha... I had no idea you work in a bank!  Hope the new year is going well for you too!!   :)

--------------
37 replies since Jan. 19 2013, 2:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Scents, Smells, Aroma, Odor...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions