2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Is backpacking or hiking a sport?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wanted everyone's thoughts on this question... not because it matters in the grand scheme of things but because it seems like so many other random activities are considered sport.  

] What do you think?  Does it meet the criteria to be considered a sport?  Would there ever be any way (or reason) to backpack competitively?  Thanks everyone for the input and opinions!

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well some people consider it only a "true" sport if a ball is involved, although hockey has a puck. I'd consider it a sport although there are no rules to it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel that the term "sport" requires both rules and competition.  Backpacking has neither.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 6:35 am)
I feel that the term "sport" requires both rules and competition.  Backpacking has neither.

Backpackers compete against gravity and time.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 6:35 am)

Perfectly said.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 6
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely not a sport. Being competitive defeats the purpose of getting away from civilization IMO. I guess there are those "fastpackers" who relish covering great distances in a single day. I don't get it personally, but that's my mindset. I still don't see that as competitive unless they are trying to outdo a hiking partner.
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This post appears to be nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to bump the hit count on your blog.

If you want to discuss it, post the discussion here.
 Post Number: 8
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a sport.  A world view, and for some a way of life.

One of the best ways to be in touch with long term human development and appreciate the ancestors who managed not to be eaten by the sabre tooth tigers.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 9
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you are nearly 60 keeping up with 30 somethings, it is a challenge. Sporting yes?

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 10
ColoradoWalt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me sports include football, baseball, volleyball, golf, hockey, track ..... Hobbies and pursuits include backpacking, hiking, fishing, hunting ....  

Yes I know they have competitive fishing but I don't consider that a sport since you really play against the fish first and other anglers second.

I don't count horse and car racing as sports. The horse and car are putting forth most of the effort.

Gymnastics and figure skating don't count either. The scoring is done by a panel of experts.

So it goes beyond just rules and competition for me. Hard to explain but for me it has to be humans (singular or team) competing athletically on a level playing field with a scoring element that is absolute (not a set of judges who determine a score).
 Post Number: 11
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not unless it's an adventure race or geocache event.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 8:35 am)

I lean the same way.  I consider it more of an activity than a sport.  Some endeavors can be both I suppose.  For instance, bicycling can be extremely competitive and therefore definitely a sport but at the same time it can be simply an activity when one rides for pleasure or transportation.  To me, to be a sport there has to be an aspect of competition.  JMO.  Realy doesn't matter I reckon.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Havent head JMO in years

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 14
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are competitions where people backpack.
First one there wins situation usually.
But anyway, I consider it a sport. Life is too short to have rules and regulations.
I play to live.
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have this discussion every few years.  I believe the conclusion is usually that it's an obsession.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 18
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well the first one to camp does get the best tent/tarp/hammock site.  :;):
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want cheerleaders.

Only then will I confidently call it a sport. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's only a sport if you win something at the end, make millions of dollars, have 14 kids with 30 different women, do enough steroids to kill a guerilla, lie about said drugs, hire some goon to beat your competition with a pipe and/or pretend your pretend girlfriend died on the Internet.
 Post Number: 21
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Though a subject a troll would toss out, it is something worth discussing a wee bit lest any board member be confused over this non-issue.

Have never heard anyone call backpacking or hiking sports.  They are outdoor physical activities with no element of rules or games.   Oh it is true media sometimes calls all manner of non-work activities sports if they requires physical activity like polls on a list of participant popularity of leisure activities.    Yeah the sport of jogging around the block for excercise each morning...yuck!  

And of course equipment for some of these leisure activities are found in sporting goods stores so media advertisers tend to emphasize these activities as sports as though such makes products more desirable.  

And it is true many such activities have a small number of enthusiasts who engage in competitive actitivity like those Guiness Book of Records enviest repeatedly trying to be the fastest persons to climb the trail up Half Dome.  However such can be dismissed when discussing such activities in general.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jan. 22 2013, 11:40 am)
do enough steroids to kill a guerilla, lie about said drugs,

He was a freedom fighter!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole concept of a "sport" is an entirely human-borne construct.  There is no such thing inherent in nature.  Its very definition is vague and subjective.

As such, whether or not a particular activity is "a sport" or not is also subjective and open to interpretation.  There is no definitive "right answer", since the term "sport" isn't so accurately defined anyway.

It's still funny to watch people bicker about absolute truths though. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 22 2013, 12:17 pm)
It's still funny to watch people bicker about absolute thruths though. :p

Internet bickering could be a sport if I could get everyone to agree on the rules, but that would lead to another argument.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a sporting discussion...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 26
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't bet on it, so no.
 Post Number: 27
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes and no ...

Yes, it is a sport in view of the definition of a physical activity engaged in for pleasure.  That is the broad general definition of sport.  There is no clear line which divides what is a sport versus what is not a sport under this broad definition.  So backpacking and hiking are sports.

On the other hand, BPing/hiking aren't officially sports competitions like baseball or football.  But the sports like ultra-marathon trail running, adventure races, orienteering competitions, etc, these are competitions.  Also, people commonly keep track of things like bagnights, miles hiked, peaks bagged, etc.  Listening to some ultralight BPers, pack weight can even be a sorta competition.  hehe

As far as how we BPers view ourselves and our chosen pastime, we generally see it more as a hobby/activity or even lifestyle than sport.  Then again, most people tend to view themselves in the most positive way possible.  So though we may view what others do as a crass sport, we see ourselves as a bit more noble.

BTW, this topic has been discussed several times on this board.

Rumi  <~~~~~~great trekker

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jan. 22 2013, 12:46 pm)
physical activity engaged in for pleasure.  That is the broad general definition of sport.  

If that's the definition of a sport, than getting a varsity letter might be a lot more attainable for some folks than they would have suspected.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 22 2013, 9:51 am)

(RumiDude @ Jan. 22 2013, 12:46 pm)
physical activity engaged in for pleasure.  That is the broad general definition of sport.  

If that's the definition of a sport, than getting a varsity letter might be a lot more attainable for some folks than they would have suspected.

Under the noun definition 1 b, I am an All-Pro.   hahahaha

Rumi~the sport (1b)~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 30
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jan. 22 2013, 11:40 am)
It's only a sport if you win something at the end, make millions of dollars, have 14 kids with 30 different women, do enough steroids to kill a guerilla, lie about said drugs, hire some goon to beat your competition with a pipe and/or pretend your pretend girlfriend died on the Internet.

I guess it's a sport then, you've described most of us very well.  :D

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
62 replies since Jan. 22 2013, 7:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Is backpacking or hiking a sport?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions