2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Did you swap out all your BPA bottles, The new ones might not be any better< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BPA substitute could spell trouble: Experiments show bisphenol S also disrupts hormone activity

I need a nice Ti Bottle or two I think.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leave it up to you to post this now, after I threw out all of my old bottles......

Actually I think that most of my stuff was already BA free anyway.  Luck of the draw I guess.

I have two SS bottles, I wish I could use them, they taste like crap.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only upside for me personally is that I am at an age it probably doesn't make any difference.

I heard a radio report a while back on this which said the original studies which suggested problems with BPA were conducted by rival plastic companies. There are some scientists which think there is nothing wrong with any of these products and some which think they are all bad.  It is hard to know what to believe on this.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I didn't get rid of anything.  While I don't think they are entirely risk-free, I do think the risk was overblown, and I was skeptical from the beginning that the replacement would have any lower risk.  The key point is that enough paranoia was stirred up that switch was made without requiring convincing evidence that the replacement is any better.  Now we may have another round of it.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.foodinsight.org/Newslet....oversy_

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/sitnflash_wp/2008/10/issue47/

http://www.thelancet.com/journal....ulltext

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm all for eating healthy and staying in shape but this seems like one of those overboard things.
 Post Number: 7
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha ha.  This will go a long way toward keeping that money machine rolling.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Platypus soft bottles when hiking, and a Nalgene hard plastic BPA-free bottle when traveling.  I am not much concerned about infinitesimal chemical leaching.  Living in LA, I probably breathe in just as much acid and stuff each day than I might get out of a month's bottle use.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My understanding was that in order to get ANY leaching, you had to pour boiling water into the bottles.
Anyway, I have an old Nalgene practically oozing BPA, it's among my oldest and dearest trail friends.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 10
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jan. 23 2013, 10:50 am)
My understanding was that in order to get ANY leaching, you had to pour boiling water into the bottles.
Anyway, I have an old Nalgene practically oozing BPA, it's among my oldest and dearest trail friends.

When traveling, I notice that after washing with soapy water and rinsing, drinking water can be kept fresh for more than one day.  But after a few days of washing and using -- drinking water acquire a foul smell within maybe half a day -- no matter how careful I wash and rinse beforehand!  This can be quite annoying -- I wash the bottle in the morning, and by afternoon, the drinking water is foul...

I find that the only way to really clean the bottle -- so drinking water can remain fresh and without odor for a whole day -- is to pour boiling water into the bottle and the cap.  After that, I always rinse a few more times with tap water before refilling with drinking water.  But who really knows about them BPA and other "plasticky" stuff leaching??

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never worried about the BPA thing either. I just think it's funny that the replacement may not be any better.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not too worried about it as there are all sorts of other things out there just as likely to harm you that they know nothing about. Also it's not like I use them every day of the week.
 Post Number: 13
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I switched to stainless steel years ago for daily use

For camping I use polypropylene
Platypus and GI canteens

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 23 2013, 6:59 pm)
I switched to stainless steel years ago for daily use

For camping I use polypropylene
Platypus and GI canteens

Some stainlees steel bottles are lined with plastic coating.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 15
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I replaced my old BPA bottles only recently after they all seemed to grow legs and wander off.

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 16
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You actually bought a "water bottle "....?

What's wrong with a BPA free, recycled Gatorade bottle ?

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 17
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just read an article linking BPA and other industrial chemicals to obesity.  It might have been in the Sunday NY Times magazine.  Now I expect all you NY Times haters to shoot the messenger, but just think.  There are many new health epidemics in recent history and there has to be a cause.  There was a great article in Mother Jones last month demonstrating causality between lead and violence/crime. Freakonomics linked Roe v Wade to the drop in violent crimes.  I tend to keep an open mind about this stuff; however, I still have my BPA Nalgene water bottles that I have used for the last 20 years or so.  Maybe there is a link between BPA and aging cause I ain't getting any younger.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 18
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes but the Gatorade bottles  probably have teh BPS stuff in them now. So they are just as  deadly.  Evillly LOL!!
 Post Number: 19
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still have all my old BPA bottles and have had more given to me for free.
I've worked in a chemical plant for 21 years. My date with cancer is already booked.
 Post Number: 20
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Jan. 23 2013, 9:44 pm)
You actually bought a "water bottle "....?

What's wrong with a BPA free, recycled Gatorade bottle ?

Those are for peeing in.  :p

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
19 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 10:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Did you swap out all your BPA bottles
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions