2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Missing Android Tablet and security issues, Suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LostSheep Search for posts by this member.
Most Awesomest Member

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So one of two things happened to my android based tablet on Monday and now I'm starting to worry it may be gone.

Monday morning, it was on the kitchen table (0600) as we were getting the kids out of the door for school. I specifically remember my 2.5yr old asking to play puzzles on it, so I closed it to keep her from seeing it.

After that, who knows.

Either she relocated it because I said no, or I moved it and have no idea where. Worst case scenario is I put it on top of the car as I was loading her and drove off with it on top.

Either way, I could use some help on locating or "bricking" it. The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (wifi only).

1. I use google's 2 step security authentication. The tablet has it's own 16 digit passcode to access any of my google items. I have remote access to revoke the rights and render it without an associated google account. By doing so, ALL of the linked programs that I have would be broken. (Good: If I find it, I can re-establish a new passcode and resurect the device.)

2. I also have a 4 digit passcode for a screenlock. After 3 attempts, the device goes to sleep for 1hr and will let you try again.

Downside to #1 & #2. If I revoke the access rights, and someone other than me finds it, they could essentially root it and route it to their google account and have a free tablet.

3. I did not have the gps enabled. It drains battery if left on all the time. I turned it on, did the mapping necessary, saved what I needed, turned off the gps.

4. The battery was at approximatly 60% as of Monday. That would be good for about 2 days of heavy use, maybe 3 if it's not accessing a wifi network.

5. I'm led to believe that wherever it is, it is not on a wifi network. I have gone to the google play store, sent an app to the device and I can see that it's in the download queue. It normally would be downloaded and installed instantly if it were sitting within my wifi network area.

6. I have gone into my samsung account and activated the "track me" program. However, it cannot be found. This could be because of a dead battery or because it is not logged onto a wifi network.

7. Lastly, there is nothing vital on the device. The most on the device would be some pictures taken with the camera, but those are also pushed to my google photos cloud. Most of the items on the tablet are linked to the cloud so there is no lost data.

I'm still combing the house in random places but I'm at the point now where I feel like a police report for lost item would be in order. I know it won't do much, but if it turns up at a pawn shop would I be able to have my merchandise returned to me?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

IT'S OUR TURN. Ask me how you can help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, if you have the receipt and have proof of the serial number, you can get it back from a pawn shop. You are correct in regards to getting anything off of it they want if they have decent skills or know how to google "root" and the device as there are directions at quite a few locations. Mind you, it does take time and they might not have patience for it.

In the future (assuming you find it), you can use an app called mylookout. It will help you find your device assuming it is on a wifi by making it scream and it will also broadcast out it's last known location before the battery dies (once again assuming it's connected to a wifi) by turning on the GPS and then pushing the location out. The premium version also allows it to encrypt/lock and/or wipe the device remotely if lost.

https://www.lookout.com

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's underneath a coat in your house.  Your wife did it.  They hide stuff from us on purpose.
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because it sooo easy to do!  heh

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LostSheep @ Jan. 23 2013, 7:46 am)
Worst case scenario is I put it on top of the car as I was loading her and drove off with it on top.

Nope.  Worst case scenario is the onset of Alzheimer's.   :;):

:p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any updates?  Did you find your tablet -- or tracked it down to erase its contents?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually yea I did find it.

I took Tigger's advice and pushed "lookout" and "lookout - plan B" to it so that if it did come online, I could locate it.

I contacted Samsung and gave them the account info and they were monitoring it. I reported it out of my control and they had a block on it to prohibit it from accessing a wifi network.

I got a phone call late Wed night from a random number of a guy claiming to have my tablet. Said he found it on the side of the highway an an intersection very near to my neighborhood. (this leaves me to believe I set it on the hood of the car)

I met him after work and he returned it. He said he found it Monday afternoon and had been busy and unable to meet back to give it to me. I offered a reward but he declined.

Honestly, I think he had it for so long trying to crack the PIN on the front and couldn't.

The fun part was when I returned home with it, and it acquired my wifi network at home. The tablet started buzzing me and alerting me that sumsung was locating the device and that all functions were disabled. I had to call samsung and have them disable their locating efforts. Then apps started downloading.

Lookout started sending emails of the location about as fast as I could go in and turn off plan B.

So, yea, now it's here with me.

Consider myself lucky.

--------------
Team Red, White & Blue’s vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit the Armed Services.

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool -- all's well that end's well.  Thanks for the update.

The real lucky part, I think, is how your tablet survived a fall from your car roof!  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree about the luck of it surviving.  Maybe LS can make some $$ doing testimonials for the maker of whatever case he was using!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LostSheep- If it had slid off a car lid I'd expect damage: any scuff marks etc.? I've done that with coffee mugs time to time and they rarely escape unscathed....
 Post Number: 11
HuntersHikes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I'm thoroughly impressed with how secure you had made your tablet...I have an Asus Transformer Pad 300 and I sheepishly admit that it's nowhere near as set-up as yours....well, now I have a morning coffee chore!

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

Latitude:N 42° 7' 34.7232"
Longitude:W 71° 42' 28.6164"

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 12
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 25 2013, 2:35 pm)
Agree about the luck of it surviving.  Maybe LS can make some $$ doing testimonials for the maker of whatever case he was using!

I hereby endorse the cheapy knockoff screen protectors purchased on amazon. $3 for 5. In 2years, I'm on the 2nd screen protector.

I also bought a $30 soft case from Belkin when I bought the tablet.

Surprisingly, they both have worked well.

--------------

Post Number: 13
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 25 2013, 2:37 pm)
LostSheep- If it had slid off a car lid I'd expect damage: any scuff marks etc.? I've done that with coffee mugs time to time and they rarely escape unscathed....

That's what has me baffled. There aren't any scuff marks on it from it sliding on the pavement. There aren't any frayed edges where it bounced/rolled. The cover has a simple elastic stretchy piece to keep it closed, no damage there either.

Had it landed in the grass at the intersection, you'd think grass marks, none there either.

Hard to believe, but the best I can tell, is that my left turn movement, caused it to accelerate to the outside of the turn, it remained flat, and landed gracefully (flat) in the grass - without sliding.

And the passerby somehow spotted it moving 40mph and stopped to pick it up.

--------------

Post Number: 14
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HuntersHikes @ Jan. 26 2013, 7:04 am)
Damn, I'm thoroughly impressed with how secure you had made your tablet...I have an Asus Transformer Pad 300 and I sheepishly admit that it's nowhere near as set-up as yours....well, now I have a morning coffee chore!

I strongly advise the google 2-step authentication.

Minor hiccup if logging into email from a non-registered computer (sends a text message to a phone you keep on file with another 6 digit key code), but totally worthit to help keep out unwanted noses.

The same for the tablet. Uses a completely different password than your login information. You have full rights to revoke the license at anytime.

The thing is, there's always a way around it, but you're just slowing them down and making it harder.

--------------

Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe... you took it out of the house, placed it somewhere... but not on your car... and then someone came upon it and picked it up??

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Most Awesomest Member

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 28 2013, 3:03 pm)
Maybe... you took it out of the house, placed it somewhere... but not on your car... and then someone came upon it and picked it up??

possible, but unlikely.

my truck parks in the driveway while the missus' parks in the garage. Had I sat it on the hood of my truck, the only way someone would've found it is if they were walking right up against my property.

(I park the hood of my truck extremely close to the house for some reason).

Had I left it in the garage somewhere, I can think of 1000 other things they should've stolen along with that tablet out of my garage.

I can't imagine I would've set it in the grass to the side of the driveway.

--------------

15 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 10:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Missing Android Tablet and security issues
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions