2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dog Packs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
punkybrewster Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all -- I'm looking to get a pack for my boyfriends dog. He's a good sized bull mastiff . I was wondering if anyone has some advice as far as what to look for. It doesn't seem like there are too many companies (maybe I am wrong), the top one being Ruffwear. Are there any specifics within the pack that would be super important to look out for? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eastpack used to make them.  That's what we have for our dog.  Always worked pretty good but I don't know if they are still in production.  Google thelm.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couple things to watch for.  First off....less bells and whistles is better. All the extra cool straps just catch on brush and rocks. Secondly, very soft webbing. In fact I sew sheepskin on the straps as I had a dog get severely cut when a strap got wet and dried stiff! Thirdly, non solid top...ie mesh or straps is better so they don't get so hot. Lastly, pack the dogs meals in individual ziplocs....they ineveitably go for a swim or lay in a creek and it all gets soaked inside!:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 2:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a Yahoo group called Traildog which would be a good place to ask and research.  I believe there's even some product development people from companies like Ruffwear among the group.  I personally have an older Mountainsmith that's worked okay.  My wife has an REI that's also okay.  Ruffwear is considered one of the best as well.
 Post Number: 5
punkybrewster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bleve @ Jan. 30 2013, 2:51 am)
There's a Yahoo group called Traildog which would be a good place to ask and research.  I believe there's even some product development people from companies like Ruffwear among the group.  I personally have an older Mountainsmith that's worked okay.  My wife has an REI that's also okay.  Ruffwear is considered one of the best as well.

Thanks I'll definitely look into the group.

Within all of my research last night, I came upon http://wolfpacks.com/ which seem amazing. Lots of innovative ideas from this mom and pop company that's been around since 1981. I like the idea of the compression strap being horizontal and not vertical, so it shifts the weight onto the dogs shoulders which is the strongest part of their body.
 Post Number: 6
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have the Ruffwear Palisades which we really like because it stays true to the body when going down steap hills.  It doesn't crawl over their neck and heads the way our Wenaha Explorers do.  Unfortunately they downsized the Palisades so if you need more room your are out of luck.

We like the Wenaha because it has lots of room and can handle long trips.

Both packs come with a saddle which means you can detach the pack from the dog on breaks.  You can also put the saddle on the dog and when ready to move out place the pack on the dogs.

Because most of the weight on the dog is on the shoulders we massage those muscles and do some PT kind of stretching to avoid injuries.

Have fun, lots of fun taking the dog out on backpacking trips with you.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
5 replies since Jan. 29 2013, 8:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dog Packs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions