2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Six Packs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like micro brews are going with cans these days. Does this snopes the myth that bottle beer tastes better?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe this is a question worthy of further scientific research......
 Post Number: 3
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe that myth had been crushed long ago.  There are still many whom hold onto the belief however.  I like the selection of microbrew in cans.  It is easier to carry some trail end beers on the trips and to dispose of the empties.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a bit of Googling. The first site I went to had a beer comparison bottles vs. cans and the canned beer was a winner across the board (barely, but still). Maybe it's time I started looking at hauling canned beer on my hikes. I don't know...I really like my tradition.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....Torpedo

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

<---Prefers cans.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 30 2013, 12:28 pm)
<---Prefers cans.

Me too.
 Post Number: 7
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 30 2013, 9:17 am)
I did a bit of Googling. The first site I went to had a beer comparison bottles vs. cans and the canned beer was a winner across the board (barely, but still). Maybe it's time I started looking at hauling canned beer on my hikes. I don't know...I really like my tradition.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012....Torpedo

They poured the beer into cups, which changes everything.  Putting mouth to can versus mouth to bottle makes all the difference in the world.  I am one of those people who can "taste" alluminum.  Some people seemingly can't taste alluminum and it doesn't bother them.  I don't even like to put my lips or teeth on it, so it could be more than just pure "taste" I don't like. If I have a can, I try to pour it into my mouth with out any contact with the can.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if the "aluminum taste" comes from the fact that you're putting your lips on the untreated outside of the can.

And you should really pour good beer into a glass.....no just drink it straight out of the bottle.
 Post Number: 9
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jan. 30 2013, 9:51 am)
I wonder if the "aluminum taste" comes from the fact that you're putting your lips on the untreated outside of the can.

And you should really pour good beer into a glass.....no just drink it straight out of the bottle.

I generally do pour into a glass, but sometimes that is inconveinient.  If I have to drink from a can or bottle, I at least try to rinse off the outside.  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Number 1 killer of beer, Oxygen.

Number 2 killer of beer, light.

Number one isn't an issue with either a bottle or can.  Number 2 is an issue, even with brown bottles, but never an issue with a can.  All cans now have an inert lining to protect the taste as well.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 11
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bottled beer is better, hands down...
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beer that someone else buys is the best.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you get it in the can?   :laugh:

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 14
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canned beer is head and shoulders above bottled beer from a freshness standpoint, cans pack better, are lighter, use less fuel in shipping, chill faster in the fridge, the list goes on and on.  Only problem is it's way more expensive for a brewery to put in a canning line versus a bottling line.  That is changing a little.  I've also heard that there are "mobile canning setups" that will come to a small brewery and can a batch, then move on.  

Someone above said the best beer is in bottles, and they are correct, but that's only because the best breweries in the world are still putting their beer in bottles.  When pliny the elder is canned, then the best beer will be in cans, when kentucky breakfast stout is canned, then the best beer will be in cans.  Until then, the best beer is in bottles.
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jan. 30 2013, 5:15 pm)
Beer that someone else buys is the best.

I agree.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just saw Deschutes Brewery Red Chair on sale in cans at Albertsons. I should have bought some.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't really if its in a can or bottle, just as long as its cooled.
 Post Number: 18
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We all know you like it in the can eyebp :;):

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 19
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 6:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Jan. 30 2013, 11:44 pm)
We all know you like it in the can eyebp :;):

lol. Prison humor.

--------------
18 replies since Jan. 30 2013, 10:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Six Packs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions