2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hello Great Outdoors!, Introduction< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
city2outdoors Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello All!

I am new to this forum, and...well...new to backpacking as well.  :D

Living in the city (Torrance, CA) (near Los Angeles). Its pretty hard to get outdoors as often as I would like to.

This year, I am making a point to explore the beauty of nature, embark on adventurous journeys, and document my travels.

I am excited to get my feet wet, and hopefully I can get some invaluable information on safety, gear selection, and techniques to accomplish my goals.

Thanks for reading my post, and I look forward to talking to you!

~Philip~
[From the City to the Outdoors]

Here are some of the places I have been, and activities that I do. Enjoy!

Nice view in Yosemite

Natural shelter at the base of Vernal Falls in Yosemite.

Mammoth Lakes

Frozen lake near Big Bear

Abalone Cove in Rachos Palos Verdes

White water rafting in Upper Cache Creek

Mountainbiking on Oakley Hill in Aliso Viejo

--------------
From the City to the Outdoors.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome. Nice photos.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I am excited to get my feet wet"

Welcome aboard.  This a great place to learn and enjoy. There are some very knowledgable people here with a wealth of information. Just don't take us too seriously most of the time.

Oh, by the way.  Try not to get your feet wet.  It's really uncomfortable while hiking in the summer and dangerous in the winter. :D

BTW, nice photos.  Looks like you have had some pretty good experiences all ready.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood, Thanks!

hikerjer, I hear ya on keeping your feet dry. In my Yosemite pictures my feet were soaking wet. It was my first experience with wet feet in about 1-2 feet of fresh snow with no snowshoes. Every step sank at least 1-2 feet, sometimes up to my waist. It was certainly not pleasant. That experience showed me not to skip on good boots and good socks. Thanks for the input!

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome aboard the crazy trail. Be prepared for all the goofy questions.

Seriously though, what's your take on Margarine vs. Butter?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome aboard!

But forget margarine vs. butter.  The important question is beets or bacon?

(No, wait.  Even those of us who like beets are unlikely to choose it over bacon.  I must've gotten the question wrong.  Oh, heck, just post some pictures of yourself in a kilt).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 30 2013, 9:43 pm)
The important question is beets or bacon?

That...is not a question.

However, a real question would be: Beer - Glass bottle or can?

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, I've always been a butter man, but on the trails...how does one refrigerate butter on a long hike? I'm thinking something portable would be a little more practical.
Something like this

But it has 50% vegetable oil and 1/3 the calories, not really what I'm down for when hiking. (If anyone has any ideas on how to package and store butter, I'm all ears!)

RebeccaD, beets...ehh? I don't believe I've eaten beets before. I would love to try it. I've seen a restaurant on the Food Network, that made beet sliders. It looked really good. Mmm.
And on bacon...im excited. I think people can really appreciate bacon when backpacking.
Bacon bits and this little dandy...

I cook a lot at home, so I'm curious on how that will transition to meal selection and packaging on the trails. We shall see!

(Kilt? Interesting request...I'll have to get back to you on that one...)

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 1:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger 100% glass, for sure

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 2:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at your pictures brings back many memories for me. I spent much of my childhood playing around Mammoth Mountains, Big Bear, and Yosemite. Thanks for the pics.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy!
 Post Number: 12
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello!

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 13
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome from the hot, humid, sticky Southeast!  Great photos!

Now that you've gotten the correct answers on bacon and beer, your feelings on grits?

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(city2outdoors @ Jan. 30 2013, 11:46 pm)

:laugh: Awesome.  I sense a whole new thread topic in the making.

Welcome!  I like the pics... stick around, don't take anything anyone says here as worth any more than you paid for it, and have a good time!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome!

And remember tactical bacon doesn't kill people, people kill people...although death by bacon might not be a bad thing.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 16
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Nice to see you.
 Post Number: 17
SomethingBlue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(city2outdoors @ Jan. 30 2013, 10:08 pm)
White water rafting in Upper Cache Creek

Is it just me or is that guy on the right side of the raft a giant?

--------------
"Every man dies, but not every man lives."
 Post Number: 18
SomethingBlue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh ya welcome to the site.

--------------
"Every man dies, but not every man lives."
 Post Number: 19
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 31 2013, 9:50 am)
don't take anything anyone says here as worth any more than you paid for it, and have a good time!

- Mike

Except for me. I am very knowledgeable about most things.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 20
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the forums. Where is your favorite place to hike?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, I'm glad I helped you take a trip down memory lane :)

Lamebeaver & eyebp, Hello!

retired reddog, Grits?...My very limited experiences with grits have been...nothing short of spectacular.

GoBlueHiker & eyebp, I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and some who aren't. I'm sure you guys are one of the good ones...for now  :angry:

EastieTrekker, death by bacon would be one of the rare times when some can actually say "He died doing what he loved..."

SomethingBlue, giant? Defiantly not. That's me by the way...All 5'2" 160lbs of me...The raft is angled up on the right so it makes me look taller...and I have a fat head/face...so I can see how you arrived there. lol

paula53, My favorite trails are along the Ranchos Palos Verdes coast (its where Donald Trump has his golf course, and also where Pete Sampras lives). You can see the pictures I have from there in post#1. I like its because its close by, but I will be venturing to the Orange County area for some nice trails (I've mountain biked most of them, but never hiked them. hehe)

--------------
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To package and store butter, learn to make "ghee

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jan. 31 2013, 6:36 pm)
To package and store butter, learn to make "ghee

Don't forget the cheesecloth.

Welcome, city (sounds strange in an outdoors forum, eh?).  Might have to call you c2o, as in H2O.

That bacon's too funny.

Post Number: 24
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale, good call on the ghee. I guess it needs to be stored in an airtight container.

Does anyone have any ideas on a light way of packaging individual servings? Maybe vacuum sealing individual servings sizes?

reubenstump, I'll have to take that "C2O" abbreviation from now on. Thanks for that! (...and awesome youtube link on the tac bac)

desert dweller, Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 26
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Jan. 31 2013, 7:20 am)
Welcome from the hot, humid, sticky Southeast!  Great photos!

Ditto...except it was 23 here this morning. ;)

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 27
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome!  There are tons of nice trails in the So Cal area - accessible year-round :)  If you need any ideas let me know.

Oh, yeah, please stay off the ice at Big Bear :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 28
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 31 2013, 1:24 am)

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 30 2013, 9:43 pm)
The important question is beets or bacon?

That...is not a question.

However, a real question would be: Beer - Glass bottle or can?

I think the correct answer to this is:
1. Free
2. Cold
3. everything else.
 Post Number: 29
Grizzly James Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh your photos lit a desire in me now, thank you very much, for those snow-packed craggy ramparts residing yonder. For a new guy, you display quite the set of macaronis to come here, this time of year, and flaunt pictures like that. Teasing our trail loins till we are but withered masses twitching on the floor begging you to stop. Consider bringing yourself to the corner over there, and face the wall for a time, and think about your life.

Have you pooped in the woods yet?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

hiking_tiger, burr...that's cold.

tarol, I'll definitely have to see what available in the So Cal Area...(and I know I should have stayed off the ice, but it was quite enticing, and pretty thick on the edge of the lake, but I'll be more careful next time  :;):  )

IAJeff, I know some people that drink their guinness at room temperature, but I agree with the free part being number 1 on your list.

Grizzly James, believe me, we weren't expecting that much snow...but when an opportunity presents itself, I am definitely going to take pictures and share it...(and no, I haven't popped my deuce cherry yet... :D  )

--------------
54 replies since Jan. 30 2013, 10:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hello Great Outdoors!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions