2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NPS budget cuts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 5:50 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone, been away for a bit.

A ranger friend hipped me to this article.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 5:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The link has a booger in it.  Take out the break and it'll work.
 Post Number: 3
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I picked that booger.  Weird though, the link was being changed by the forum after I posted it.  I had to run it through a link shortened to make it work.
 Post Number: 4
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, budget cuts in the NPS while at the same time unnecessarily adding new NP's. Think the latest in California.

Talk about political nonsense...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like the Congress pushed the debt ceiling off til May, so it might be a good time to take any high-maintenance trips to the National Parks.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to see you back Snidely!  Been getting out at all?

As for the topic, it's unfortunate, but not surprising to see these cuts looming.  While there may be pockets of Americans who truly care for what little preservation we have in place, I think the general populace could give a %$^ as to what happens with our NPS.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5% cut with a proposed 8% cut in FY 2014.

What I find amusing is the comments...

Undoubtedly a serious crime occurs at Yellowstone occasionally, but really, is its own magistrate, its own FBI agent, four jail cells, and a number of administrative subdepartments necessary? If the NPS has a 5% budget reduction, maybe the Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho counties that the park occupies can take over the work.

Really, you think the counties are going to do the law enforcement, for free? I have a bridge to sell you if you believe that.

This is fantastic news for Yellowstone. Instead of spending millions every few years on an EIS that proves snowmobiles don't belong in Yellowstone, and then ignoring the results, the NPS can eliminate snowmobiling. This will save millions on the cost of all the EIS's, plus millions per year on the cost of snowmobiling.

Really, that will go over well.

Get rid of most of the rangers' guns.

OK, yeah great idea. I'm sure the country deputy that is over 100 miles away will provide adequate backup.

Ask Congress to allow the individual park staff to do more of the planning and reduce the multilevel and enormously unwieldy NEPA, Wilderness Act, Organic Act, etc., etc., planning processes.

While I am all for more management at the local level there is a reason we have planning and scoping processes. Time for public input is one of them.
 Post Number: 8
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 01 2013, 8:59 am)
Yeah, budget cuts in the NPS while at the same time unnecessarily adding new NP's. Think the latest in California.

Talk about political nonsense...

I made a recent trip back to my home state  - Delaware, which has no NPS, NHS etc. sites (only one in the Union!).

Not that we need one there - my parents told me of a proposal by the powers that be there to make a site in my hometown a NHS.  I seriously doubt the historical value of the place, and it isn't well set up for visitors in any case.

The NPS would fare better to stay within their budgets as much as they can and not add new strain due to new sites (just because DE deosn't have one isn't a reason to bust the budget and I don't think it would pass anyway).  Belt tightening is just a sign of the times, we have to do so at home as well.

ETA: if DE cares that much about it, they can find the money to do something with it at the state level  :p

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Spending on these health and natural resources programs make up just a little more than 1 percent of the federal budget. So cutting them more deeply—because they’ve already taken a hit in past budget cuts —will hardly dent the deficit, but it will damage popular programs that benefit all Americans,"

That's the message I hope really comes through - look at the proportion of the US Govt budget that goes to natural resource programs vs. military or social security or the other big takers.  Cutting from the former results in such measly savings overall...  Is it even worth it??

BTW, we've been in the no money for training/travel/uniforms/office supplies/etc for a while now...  not to mention we lost about 30 full time employees last year, and all of our seasonals.  One ranger station has closed, all the others have cut back on hours.  Campgrounds/picnic areas have already reduced hours.  Unless a volunteer group is doing it, things like trash pickup, trail maintenance, outreach/education, etc. doesn't really get done anymore.  It sucks...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Across the board sequestration is SUPPOSED to be silly, obnoxious and in many ways counterproductive. The point was to make it so obnoxious Congress would want to avoid it's effects by actually working the budget problem. Time will tell.
 Post Number: 11
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People don't seem angry / disgusted enough that we spend each year on defense more than the next 17 highest-spending countries combined.  Indeed, lots of people actually support that kind of spending!!  So, something has to give (even with relentless borrowing) -- and who's lowest on the totem pole?  Libraries?  Parks?   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 01 2013, 2:58 pm)
People don't seem angry / disgusted enough that we spend each year on defense more than the next 17 highest-spending countries combined.

Speak for yourself. :D

It's outrageous, and the average American equates a bloated military with patriotism. I could write a five page rant on the subject. But that's not this topic...

To the point, we DON'T need more NP's... we need more wilderness designations.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 01 2013, 4:47 pm)
Across the board sequestration is SUPPOSED to be silly, obnoxious and in many ways counterproductive. The point was to make it so obnoxious Congress would want to avoid it's effects by actually working the budget problem. Time will tell.

True.  The problem with that is that Congress sets the standard for silly, obnoxious, and counterproductive.  Since they smell worse than everything else on the planet, everything else smells good to them.

I'll stop now before this ends up in TPA.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

National parks may only be designated through an act of Congress.

"Additions to the National Park System are now generally made through Acts of Congress, and national parks can be created only through such Acts."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Additions to the National Park System are now generally made through Acts of Congress, and national parks can be created only through such Acts."

I think we all understand that... but it's also not hard to understand they slip in through the cracks by being attached to other legislation.

Like most things in our chickenchit congress...

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 01 2013, 4:12 pm)

I think we all understand that... but it's also not hard to understand they slip in through the cracks by being attached to other legislation.

Like most things in our chickenchit congress...

Yeah.

Love Christmas Trees. Not at ALL fond of "Christmas Tree Legislation".
15 replies since Feb. 01 2013, 5:50 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NPS budget cuts
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions