2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Outside Magazine, What I liked. What I don't like.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only read magazines when I travel. So, on the way to Memphis I picked up a copy of Outside Magazine.

I must tell you that this month's cover was the sole reason for buying it. Lindsey Vonn is on the cover and it's a fantastic photo of her (in a very shear outfit). Wow, is all I gotta say.

But, as I've noticed the few times I've bought the magazine, it seems that every destination article is nothing more than an advertisement for a particular place. It has a cheesy element to it and is a turn off for me.

The story articles, on the other hand, are well done and make up for the rest of the magazine.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry, I only got it for the picture... There are stories and articles in there????

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 3
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I subscribed to it for a year and felt like it was very much targeted at men.  I am now in some database somewhere as either a lesbian or a man  :laugh:

Now I just receive their emails, and do find some of their articles to be worth reading, especially the coverage of scandals like Lance Armstrong and Greg Mortenson.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Feb. 01 2013, 11:53 am)
I subscribed to it for a year and felt like it was very much targeted at men.

Whaaah?  You think that cover story/photo was targeted for an audience mostly of men?  The hell you say. :p :D

I'll pick up a copy if one is laying around in a doctor's office, but otherwise don't pay it much attention.  IMO it's not that different than backpacker, mostly.  Not a lot more than a gear-ad and destination-ad outlet that occasionally (but rarely) goes beneath the surface on much.

But I haven't read it in years, so that's based mostly on fuzzy years-old memories.  Maybe there's a great deal more in there than I give it credit for, who knows.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to like it when it first came out.  However, I feel it has turned into a glitzy elitist publication which has little or no relevancy to me or the average outdoor enthusiast.  I mean just look at their product reviews.  Seems like I'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford anything they recommend.  I see some of the same kind of stuff creeping into Backpaker Magazine.   I mean, do they really think most of us need the lastest, high tech, most expensive gear out there or that we can actually afford it?  The Outside cover did catch my attention though.  Got to admit that.  Perhaps they are now trying to compete with Sports Illustrated.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 01 2013, 4:40 pm)
I used to like it when it first came out.  However, I feel it has turned into a glitzy elitist publication which has little or no relevancy to me or the average outdoor enthusiast.  I mean just look at their product reviews.  Seems like I'd have to take out a second mortgage to afford anything they recommend.  I see some of the same kind of stuff creeping into Backpaker Magazine.   I mean, do they really think most of us need the lastest, high tech, most expensive gear out there or that we can actually afford it?  The Outside cover did catch my attention though.  Got to admit that.  Perhaps they are now trying to compete with Sports Illustrated.

I was going to respond but you said exactly what I was thinking.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Feb. 01 2013, 4:03 pm)

(hikerjer @ Feb. 01 2013, 4:40 pm)

I was going to respond but you said exactly what I was thinking.

Yup.

Occasionally an article worth reading but hardly worth rifling through the pages of worthless filler.

LV is an eye-catcher though!
 Post Number: 8
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was an interesting article about L.V. I stopped subscribing to Outside and Bzckpacker years ago because of the glitz and ads for things I would not spend that kind of money for. I did find Campmor in BP.
 Post Number: 9
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Feb. 02 2013, 11:25 am)
That was an interesting article about L.V. I stopped subscribing to Outside and Bzckpacker years ago because of the glitz and ads for things I would not spend that kind of money for. I did find Campmor in BP.

+1.  Glitzy and shallow...  It's why I don't spend money on Outside.  And as a traveler, I don't read Conde Nest or Nat Geo Traveler either, for much the same reasons.

Forums are much better sources of info. when it comes to backpacking / traveling.  But each to his or her own, of course.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not subscribe. I have in the past. I found a lot of the writing to be very good.
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outside tends to have a few articles each edtition. Wish Backpacker had more articles. Wouldn't mind seeing Lindsey Vonn in Backpacker...does she backpack?
 Post Number: 12
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Feb. 02 2013, 5:39 pm)
Wouldn't mind seeing Lindsey Vonn in Backpacker...does she backpack?

If not, I'm sure we could muster up plenty of volunteers to show her the ropes.
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I subscribe and it's one of the few magazines that I actually really read.  So many magazines articles today are obviously written by people sitting in front of a computer "researching" other magazine articles but I don't get that feeling with Outside. I also read National Geographic.  Backpacker, on the other hand, is a subscription that people keep giving me for some occassion or another, but I've probably only read 10% of the contents at best.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I see covers like that on an outdoor type of rag, I have to figure the content also has as little to do with my outdoor activities as the picture.

An outdoor mag with someone ice climbing, Alpining, actually backpacking on a trail, or something similar.... THAT makes me pick it up to see what is inside.

The lovely blonde on the cover of this magazine is easy on the eyes, but I would not want that thing laying around where my daughter could see it.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 15
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Feb. 03 2013, 5:24 pm)
When I see covers like that on an outdoor type of rag, I have to figure the content also has as little to do with my outdoor activities as the picture.

An outdoor mag with someone ice climbing, Alpining, actually backpacking on a trail, or something similar.... THAT makes me pick it up to see what is inside.

The lovely blonde on the cover of this magazine is easy on the eyes, but I would not want that thing laying around where my daughter could see it.

Um. Do you know who Lindsey Vonn is? It'd be hard to imagine a better role model for any female athelete.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A great role model who is on magazine covers half-nude in provocative poses?  I'd much rather my daughter, if I had one, had role models who celebrated their athleticism more than their sexuality.

Not that there's anything wrong with sex.  I'm just sick of "wildly sexy" being the highest accolade for a female.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 03 2013, 8:53 pm)
A great role model who is on magazine covers half-nude in provocative poses?  I'd much rather my daughter, if I had one, had role models who celebrated their athleticism more than their sexuality.

Not that there's anything wrong with sex.  I'm just sick of "wildly sexy" being the highest accolade for a female.

Her atheletism is what she is celebrated for. Being a world champion on many fronts is a result of training, determination and beating her peers. How she choses to present herself to the world doesn't take away any of that.

It's no different than a lightly clad champion male diver being presented on the cover of a magazine that prints an article that celebrates his achievements. That atheletic physique is part of what makes them a champion.

Edit to add. The outfit she's wearing is really a modest bikini. (By today's examples.) You probably can't tell by the on-line photo, but the top and bottom of the outfit is connected by a light lace that you can see at her cleavege.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 18
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 2:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 02 2013, 6:59 pm)
So many magazines articles today are obviously written by people sitting in front of a computer "researching" other magazine articles but I don't get that feeling with Outside.

+1  Outside has some very good writers as well. (ScottH Mentioned this.)  Outside is a damn good magazine with a variety of interesting articles.  

A magazine does not have to intererest every reader with every article to be good value.  I think this falls under HYOH kinda philosophy.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 01 2013, 1:57 pm)
I'll pick up a copy if one is laying around in a doctor's office, but otherwise don't pay it much attention.  

Same thing I was thinking...

Personally, I don;t get much from outdoor magazines.  I'd rather pour over Google Earth searching for that next off trail lake to visit
 Post Number: 20
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I purchased their gear guide issue while traveling along with my customary Nat Geo and Economist. Outside made it to the layover destination before being jetisoned. Backpacker is better.
 Post Number: 21
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing to be aware of is Outside is not a BPing magazine but an adventure lifestyle magazine. They offer a variety of articles and features of bios, gear, travel, and lifestyle which reflect their outside adventure emphasis. And they do it well.

The complaint that it is glitzy is silly ... stupid really.  Of course a magazine is going to be eye catching and attractive.  Duh!!!  The ads pay for the magazine so there is generally going to always be auto ads and destination resort ads in mags like this.  Gear companies are going to feature cutting edge, new, high end, redesigned, etc products, so it's unlikely you are going to see full page ads for a tent peg or lip balm.  Also, a magazine is not going to be comprehensive about much of anything at all for several reasons, but simply the cost of paper is one of the main reasons.

The nature of a magazine today prohibits it being a resource of information.  Instead it is just a springboard to inspire, to point in the right direction, to make aware, etc.  Outside does this very well.  The writing in Outside is really quite good and as dd mentioned mentioned in his original post, the story articles kinda makeup for any lack elsewhere in the magazine.

I don't subscribe but read it at the public library.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 22
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just clicked the online Outside magazine. Seems like a solid rag. It seems to display things that are outside. Maybe the paper version is all evil and just shows naked pictures of women and articles in glamping.
 Post Number: 23
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Feb. 05 2013, 9:08 am)
I purchased their gear guide issue while traveling along with my customary Nat Geo and Economist. Outside made it to the layover destination before being jetisoned. Backpacker is better.

For backpacking gear reviews?  Yeah, probably.  Outside isn't a "how to" magazine though.  I guess the way to describe it is "adventure writing".  It was Outside who sent Krakauer on the Everest climb in '96, covered the attempt to run the Tsangpo in 2004, told the story about Chris McCandless.  I also remember a really good article about Kevin Pearce (snowboarder) a few years ago.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 24
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately, she suffered a serious knee injury today and will be out for the season.  :(

link
 Post Number: 25
rudderless Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like it at least one article in each issue is worth reading.
Tanga is offering it at $4.99 to day (2/9/13)
link   https://www.tanga.com/deals/red-tag-magazine-sale
 Post Number: 26
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll peruse and occasionally buy an issue; however, I no longer subscribe to the magazine.  The magazine has really changed since it moved to Santa Fe in the '90s.  I preffered it when it was based in Chicago; it's much more of a commercial magazine these days and has lost much of what I use to enjoy.

Outside still has some good articles/profiles, interviews, though; and I enjoyed the recent profile of Jim Harrison (though it was much too short) and the tsunami piece by Bruct Barcott.

Does anyone remember when it was called Mariah...???  I do.  Here's an old article on Outside.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/42/1259/print_view

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 27
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 1:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's an article on the guy who runs Outside; he's quite the character...

http://www.billbeuttler.com/legends_of_a_hairy_man_11886.htm

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 28
Kristina Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always keep a book with me when I go to visit anywhere/travel by transport.
It happen when I goes for the long travel.
 Post Number: 29
Mudinyeri Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My son sells magazine subscriptions to support his school.  I pretty much HAVE to subscribe to some magazine(s).  :)  This year, I subscribed to Outside.  There have been several articles that I really enjoyed - the one on obstacle racing, the one on Caballo Blanco, the one on the Free Burma Rangers ... several good articles.

Sure, the magazine is glitzy.  Most magazines are.

--------------
"History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it. "  Walter Bagehot, Founder of the National Review
 Post Number: 30
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 05 2013, 12:37 pm)
Unfortunately, she suffered a serious knee injury today and will be out for the season.  :(

link

Yes, but with her immense work ethic, as described in the Outside article, odds are huge she'll be back.

It's a crazy tough sport: I follow the FIS tv coverage and there's hardly a speed event skier that isn't mentioned within the context of coming back from injury and missing seasons and Olympics and Worlds...
32 replies since Feb. 01 2013, 1:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Outside Magazine
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions