2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How far would you go for your son?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Far enough to dress up like a super hero and take him shopping at Home Depot.

Sometimes its the little things that count.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Son or daughter? I think I see pigtails...

Doesn't matter though, that dad is a super-hero to his child either way.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, a daughter.  F for Feminists!!   But Tarol wrote above, hey, why not?   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry Raz, but at the main site, all I could read and could think of was this.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's awesome. Hey, maybe she's dressing up like daddy.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 04 2013, 6:39 pm)

Used to think 'cool image' -- and now it looks downright stupid.  I'm sure I am not the only one with that perception change.  And that's one change for the better in our society.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:40 pm)

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 04 2013, 6:39 pm)

Used to think 'cool image' -- and now it looks downright stupid.  I'm sure I am not the only one with that perception change.  And that's one change for the better in our society.

Not to derail Raz's thread, but ad's or not, smoking is still rampant in our society and even worse in Europe, "The Far East", and whatever the now politically correct term for "developing nations" is.

The ban on cigarette ads on the TV or in print did absolutely nothing to curb the appetite of the addicted. The scare tactic ads with John Wayne did nothing. The exorbitant  tax rates on them now haven't cut down sales at all.

All I wanted to do was offer up a bit of old nostalgia for those that don't remember the old ad, and show how far we've come.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^To paraphrase another cigarette slogan, "we've come a long way baby."

And who wears a hole in their shoe walking a mile?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 04 2013, 8:00 pm)
And who wears a hole in their shoe walking a mile?

Even back then, that's what I always thought !!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:08 pm)
Why not?

This.

I have a picture of Cinderella taped onto my laptop right now, because my 4-year-old daughter had cut it out just for me and hoped I'd put it somewhere.  I'm sure there's folks at a coffee shop who might question my, uh, orientation for that, but who cares.  I think of her every time I see it.

I'd dress up like a superhero in a heartbeat to go shopping with my kid.  Sounds like fun. :)  Most parents would, I think.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But would you dress up like THIS superhero???

Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to go around with my son, with both of us dressed as pirates. He loved it and now I love the memories.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:05 pm)
I'd dress up like a superhero in a heartbeat to go shopping with my kid.  Sounds like fun. :)  Most parents would, I think.

<---More than once. Even dressed up like a chicken and went shopping. My favorite was the kid going into Kroger and Publix in his ninja outfit. Complete with sword.  :D He was told to leave Kroger or they were gonna call the police. Good times.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 15
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 04 2013, 9:15 pm)

He did.  That's a video from HOTB.  Where'd you get that??  What happens at HOTB is supposed to *stay* at HOTB!

:D :D

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 16
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta say ... when I dress up (see picture, left), my son is usually mortified and doesn't want to be seen within 20 miles of me.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 7:33 pm)
Gotta say ... when I dress up (see picture, left), my son is usually mortified and doesn't want to be seen within 20 miles of me.

Oh, the ways mothers torture their young!!  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:33 pm)

That seems the more typical attitude to me.  Still, it looks like fun.
 Post Number: 19
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:32 pm)

He did.  That's a video from HOTB.  Where'd you get that??  What happens at HOTB is supposed to *stay* at HOTB!

Captain Chaos.....you just started a new swamp tradition. Like we needed another one.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 20
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:06 pm)

(CajunHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:33 pm)

That seems the more typical attitude to me.  Still, it looks like fun.

He'll appreciate that he had a fun mom when he gets older. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I waddled around for months looking like a bloated whale.  Does that count?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've worn a tuxedo twice in my life:

1. My Wedding Day

2. The 2nd grade Father - Daughter Dance

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 23
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At one point or another everyone in the family had to participate in the year as a pirate.  This was the two Grandmas playing along like the good sports they are

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 24
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Feb. 04 2013, 5:41 pm)

Far enough to dress up like a super hero and take him shopping at Home Depot.

Sometimes its the little things that count.

Maybe the kid dressed up so her dad wouldn't feel out of place in his superhero outfit?
 Post Number: 25
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a semi-regular basis. Mind you, I don't wear a cape.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 26
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a son.  The pigtails you think you are seeing are the tie downs for the wool hat.  See the ear flaps on Dad's hat.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 27
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tough love.  This is what happens to kids that bring home an F on their report card.
 Post Number: 28
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Feb. 04 2013, 11:10 pm)

(CajunHiker @ Feb. 04 2013, 10:32 pm)

Captain Chaos.....you just started a new swamp tradition. Like we needed another one.

The movie was hysterical.  The outtakes were good, too.

"If I had enough time, I'd take those rosary bleads and stuff them up your nose."

Post Number: 29
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Swimswithtrout I have no idea of where you got your information about cigarette smoking but in the US the percent of adults that smoke have been slowly coming down for the last 50 years.  In 1965 over 42% of the population smoked and now it is less than20%.  Still far too high!  The target population for prevention is the youth where prevention can lead to a life time of no tobacco use!
Per the CDC “Interventions that are proven to prevent and reduce tobacco use among youths include media campaigns, limiting advertisements and other promotions, increasing the price of tobacco products, and reducing the availability of tobacco products for purchase by youths.”

As far as the picture … it is good to see someone willing dress up to please their child unless of course the father really thinks he is a super hero and then there may be a problem.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 30
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like fun to me! I would dress like Boots from Dora for my daughter.

Oh man, it would be REALLY great to dress up, and talk like, The Tick! Too bad my daughter will have no idea who that is in a few years, when she will be old enough to be embarrassed by something like that. Bummer.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
29 replies since Feb. 04 2013, 8:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How far would you go for your son?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions