2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Postal Service to cut Saturday mail, cut to begin in August< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yesterday it was announced that the USPS will stop Saturday delivery of mail in August.  Package delivery and post officies will still remain open on Saturday.  

I have no opposition to the changes as over 90% of my mail are adds or applications for credit cards etc.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would imagine a lot of Postal workers are rejoicing.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear they are going to do that as then I don't have to worry about having someone pick up my mail when I 'm out bping on weekends. I hate to have it left in my mailbox as someone might take something.
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds reasonable.

The postal service isn't as needed as it once was. I pay most all my bills online, and most my daily mail gets sent straight to the recycle bin.

With a decreasing demand for mail service, there have to be some cuts somewhere. This seems like a natural consequence of that.  I'm fine with it, FWIW.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This seems like a better choice than closing local post offices and more equitable nationwide. The only mail I look forward to anymore is a letter from my Mom who has no computer, or a postcard from participating in the worldwide postcard exchange site, postcrossing.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One less thing I need to worry about over the weekend.  I'm Ok with it.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This has been proposed before and why it's taken this long to implement, I'm not sure.  Perhaps the postal carriers union was pushing back on this subject, being concerned about job security.
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages for several year but Congress has rejected the move.  I assume they think Congress will now approve the change.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like a good compromise.  It's packages and the PO that most people will want on weekends--and Saturday package delivery sets them apart from UPS, etc.

I've noticed that many of my packages that start out via UPS end up being delivered by the USPS--there's clearly some sort of agreement there, which seems environmentally sound, reducing the trips into the neighborhood.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of us are out on the trails on Saturday anyway....

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noooo!  You mean I will have to wait for my catalogues until Monday?  What about Vickies?

Seriously.  I have gone to paperless billing from all of my utilities, and I seldom get anything that couldn't wait. I would be fine with every other day, or twice a week, myself.  My neighborhood is one of the few that still has a walking carrier.  We do not have mailboxes on the street, but I would be Ok with it.  I would even endorse those new delivery stations where 10-12 people get there mail in one central location.  IMO, the USPS is good for packages and postcards.  Most everything else can be lost, particularly those weekly bulk ads from te various grocers.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 06 2013, 10:57 am)
I would be fine with every other day, or twice a week, myself.  

+1

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 06 2013, 9:11 am)

+1

+2

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a good idea to me.

You know, I always hear the USPS asking people to support their postal service, which I do, but every time I am in my local post office the workers are rude as all get out??  What gives?

Does it suck that bad to be a postal employee?
 Post Number: 15
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm...the local paper comes out on Wednesdays and Saturdays...delievered the same day.  Wonder if they'll shift to Tuesday/Friday.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 16
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn. Nexflix just got 17% less efficient.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 17
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 06 2013, 7:44 am)

If the office is still going to be open on Saturday, it won't change anything for most workers.  Around here, the mail carriers are basically contractors, not full-up USPS employees, so package-only delivery will cut the hours they work.  Maybe they're o.k. with that.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 18
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Feb. 06 2013, 8:47 am)

(BradMT @ Feb. 06 2013, 7:44 am)

If the office is still going to be open on Saturday, it won't change anything for most workers.  Around here, the mail carriers are basically contractors, not full-up USPS employees, so package-only delivery will cut the hours they work.  Maybe they're o.k. with that.

I still remember when they had Sunday deliveries...   But the world has changed.  The sooner they cut back on the delivery of junk mail, the better for our society as a whole.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 06 2013, 8:32 am)

+1

+2

Heck I effectively do that now. I have a very large mailbox....
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 06 2013, 9:06 am)

(TravisNWood @ Feb. 06 2013, 8:32 am)

+1

+2

Heck I effectively do that now. I have a very large mailbox....

I travel for months at a time each year.  Mine is a mail slot cut through my front door - so no need to bother with 'vacation holds'.  And when I am not ordering anything online, I need not worry about parcels.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 22
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 06 2013, 8:44 am)

Mine is... as he puts it, "I've been working Saturdays for 30 years, it will be nice to be off for once."

Good for him.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RevoRunner @ Feb. 06 2013, 10:50 am)

Mine is... as he puts it, "I've been working Saturdays for 30 years, it will be nice to be off for once."

Good for him.

Less pay or same pay?

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

We could help the USPS even more if we all dropped all of the junk mail's postage paid reply cards in the Post Office's mailbox...!!

The businesses who send you those junk mail reply cards and letters not only have to pay the postage on them when they're sent back, but pay an additional handling fee as well.

Think about it...!!                   :D
 Post Number: 25
RevoRunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 06 2013, 2:06 pm)

(RevoRunner @ Feb. 06 2013, 10:50 am)

Good for him.

Less pay or same pay?

I didn't ask.  Next time I see him I'll ask him.

My guess is same pay but they pick up a shift during a weekday that they would normally be off.  I can't imagine they work 6 days a week.

--------------
WINNING!!!
 Post Number: 26
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Feb. 06 2013, 2:29 pm)
Hi...

We could help the USPS even more if we all dropped all of the junk mail's postage paid reply cards in the Post Office's mailbox...!!

The businesses who send you those junk mail reply cards and letters not only have to pay the postage on them when they're sent back, but pay an additional handling fee as well.

The BEST use for those is to fill them out for someone you despise.

Use a typewriter.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 27
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Feb. 06 2013, 2:29 pm)

I've done that...but not to help the post office.

(TDale @ Feb. 06 2013, 6:19 pm)
The BEST use for those is to fill them out for someone you despise.

Use a typewriter.
What's a typewriter?  :;):

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see according to the national news they are still going to have Saturday delivery of packages, just not First class mail. So they will still have some people working in the post office and out on the streets delivering packages and maybe those big envelopes they have. I wish they would stop delivery of those on Saturday too. Then I don't have to worry about someone picking up my mail for me when I'm out bping on weekends.
 Post Number: 29
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 06 2013, 5:12 pm)
I see according to the national news they are still going to have Saturday delivery of packages,.... Then I don't have to worry about someone picking up my mail for me when I'm out bping on weekends.

To be fair, that's a problem with the private delivery services too (FedEx or UPS).  Once in a while a neighborhood gets hit with a rash of stolen packages left by the door.

I prefer USPS since they'll usually leave that pink card so one can go by the Post ofc and pick it up.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Feb. 06 2013, 7:15 pm)

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 06 2013, 5:12 pm)
I see according to the national news they are still going to have Saturday delivery of packages,.... Then I don't have to worry about someone picking up my mail for me when I'm out bping on weekends.

To be fair, that's a problem with the private delivery services too (FedEx or UPS).  Once in a while a neighborhood gets hit with a rash of stolen packages left by the door.

I prefer USPS since they'll usually leave that pink card so one can go by the Post ofc and pick it up.

They usually leave the package and not a slip when I get a package from USPS. At least with USPS I know for sure when it's coming due to the tracking number. When I got them from USPS and the sender didn't get a tracking number for it you had no idea when it would be delivered.
36 replies since Feb. 06 2013, 8:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Postal Service to cut Saturday mail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions