2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pack volume, for you math/physics geeks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can anyone suggest an easy and accurate means by which to determine the volume of a pack.  I know the basic forumula for volume of course, (that's not rocket science) but with all the nooks, separate pockets, crannies, irregular contours, etc. of a pack, I don't think I can get an accurate measurement by simply measuring the dimensions and doing the math.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Packing chips?

Or M&Ms. With or without the Almonds to aid in the packing efficiency.
http://tech.mit.edu/V124/N4/long_5.4w.html

Gotta love science.
"The researchers discovered that oblate spheroids, the shape of M&M's chocolate candies, pack surprisingly more densely than regular spheres when poured randomly and shaken. Extending the work with further experiments and sophisticated computer simulations, they found that a related shape, the ellipsoid, packs at random even more densely than the tightest possible, perfectly ordered arrangement of spheres. Previously, scientists did not know that randomly assembled particles could pack so densely."
http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/04/q1/0212-candy.htm
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 06 2013, 12:32 pm)
Packing chips?

Jeeze, that's a  lot of M & Ms. :O

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 06 2013, 9:32 am)
Packing chips?

Gotta love science.
"The researchers discovered that oblate spheroids, the shape of M&M's chocolate candies, pack surprisingly more densely than regular spheres when poured randomly and shaken. Extending the work with further experiments and sophisticated computer simulations, they found that a related shape, the ellipsoid, packs at random even more densely than the tightest possible, perfectly ordered arrangement of spheres. Previously, scientists did not know that randomly assembled particles could pack so densely."
http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/04/q1/0212-candy.htm

When wrestling with packing  a &*^$%##$%^&* bear canister I've sometimes wondered what the caloric load would be if I simply filled the thing with a thoughtful mix of M&Ms and SmokeHouse Almonds.

But then I recall a buddy of mine who tried such a thing (GORP only) on a route around North Lake South Lake and he did an alpine solo climb over a nasty col just to escape early from the horror of his diet....

Yeah those Staples or Office Depot biodegradable packing chips would be cheaper and lighter to boot.

As a Kurt Vennegut fan (Ice Nine in Cat's Cradle) I do like the M&M story.
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rule #1:  Prolly stating common knowledge, but NEVER trust the volume spec (or most any spec) on the tag.  So, to find out volume for yourself...

Option 1:  Take manual measurements.  Too tedious?  Maybe spend more care with the main pocket -- and make more casual estimations with the smaller pockets?

Option 2:  Line the pockets with appropriately oversized plastic bags -- lawn bag for main, maybe gallon or quart plastic bags for other pockets.  One by one, starting with the main pocket, fill with water, then carefully tie.  When all completed, remove, untie and empty each into a sizable tub or bucket -- and measure the grand total volume.  As you know, the volume of outer pockets tend to decrease as the main one gets filled.  This method should help minimize the chance of overstating the total volume.  Still tedious, but playing with water can be fun.  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google it?

But do the pockets count? When measuring square feet of a house the basement(if not "finished") and holes in the crawl space won't count.
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weigh the bag empty. Then fill it with as much water as it can hold and weigh it again. Calculate volume from water weight.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Feb. 06 2013, 10:34 am)
Weigh the bag empty. Then fill it with as much water as it can hold and weigh it again. Calculate volume from water weight.

^^^THIS^^^

Rumi~the voluminous~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions but:  first these are actually bicycle panniers and won't hold water if you guys are actually serious; second the panniers are so old, circa 1970s, that you can hardly google them.  I may have to buy some M & Ms.  I guess I can always save them for next Halloween. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Use a garbage bag to line them and fill with water.  But if you go the M&Ms route, I like the new peanutbutter ones.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep... Hikerjer, you missed the part I wrote about lining the pack with bags first.  Given how a pack bulges... I think this is the best (most accurate) way to measure.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, of you go with the M&Ms I'll help you dispose of them :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder to what extent the literal volume even matters. If you calculate the total volume of all the things you want to put in the pack, that still doesn't mean it will all fit -- for example, 40L of stuff almost certainly won't fit into a 40L pack because you can never fill every nook and cranny (just think about the space around a giant cylindrical bear can that doesn't get filled all the way). Ultimately what would seem to matter is whether all the stuff I want to take will fit in this pack or not, whatever the measurements say it holds.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good point, JR.  But I still want a share of the M&Ms.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fill it with anything solid.
Submerge it in water and measure the water dispersed.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 06 2013, 11:25 am)
Good point, JR.  But I still want a share of the M&Ms.

Dibbs on the SmokeHouse Almonds.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, sometimes you guys are just plain weird.  ???  Not that ther's any thing wrong with that.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Use packing peanuts.  Fill it and then empty them into a box.  Measure the size of the box and do the math.  One cubic ft equals 28.3 liters.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 06 2013, 12:10 pm)
Ya know, sometimes you guys are just plain weird.  ???  Not that ther's any thing wrong with that.

Hey we're not the ones angsting over a number that, when the rubber hits the road and it's time to just stuff all your gear into them* is just slightly less meaningful than the denier count of the fabric.

Just make sure they don't fall into an arrangement that freezes the world solid: I have some fun summer plans...

* TM just about every "what size pack" thread in the GEAR section.
 Post Number: 20
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fill it full of jello...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 06 2013, 12:12 pm)
Use packing peanuts.  Fill it and then empty them into a box.  Measure the size of the box and do the math.  One cubic ft equals 28.3 liters.  

I was thinking he could weigh them. Weigh a liter (first the bottle, then the bottle full of chips), weigh the empty pack, weigh the pack filled with the packing chips: subtract (we in the business call it the tare, if you have a scale that costs about five grand it'll do it for you): math it out and voila; the extra comfy mattress STILL won't fit!
 Post Number: 22
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 06 2013, 3:10 pm)

Hey, you asked for an accurate method and I gave you one. Not my fault that I flashed back to my astronomy undergraduate days and all the blasted lab classes I had to take. :;):

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 23
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

get a couple garbage bags and put one inside the other.

Put the bags in your pack

Fill them full of water

Put a garbage pail on a scale and note the weight

Pour the water into the pail

A pint's a pound

Convert pints to cubic inches using one of those internet converter thingies
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pack volume is really used to compare packs.  It is hard to fill every bit of the volume because that is just the nature of packing.  Somethings you pack will compress and mold around other objects and some things will not.  So if you are simply trying to compare the volume of your current set of panniers to a potential set or just wanting to know for whatever reason, use the water in a garbage bag method.  It really is rather simple and will give you a fairly accurate measurement.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Feb. 06 2013, 1:34 pm)
Pack volume is really used to compare packs.  It is hard to fill every bit of the volume because that is just the nature of packing.  Somethings you pack will compress and mold around other objects and some things will not.  So if you are simply trying to compare the volume of your current set of panniers to a potential set or just wanting to know for whatever reason, use the water in a garbage bag method.  It really is rather simple and will give you a fairly accurate measurement.

Rumi

Dude - stop copying me (post #5)!   :p

Ben <~~ the original world

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Feb. 06 2013, 4:34 pm)
e simply trying to compare the volume of your current set of panniers to a potential set, use the water in a garbage bag method.

You're a perceptive guy, Rumi.  That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'll  give the garbage bag method a try.

Thanks all.  I think. ???

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fill it full of hydrogen until it floats. Then see how many bricks you can tie on and it still floats. Have a gun ready to shoot it down in case it is in danger of floating away.
 Post Number: 28
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Decibel meter?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 29
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

take your empty pack to a highschool math class and have them calculate for a class project.
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Feb. 06 2013, 3:24 pm)
Fill it full of hydrogen until it floats. Then see how many bricks you can tie on and it still floats. Have a gun ready to shoot it down in case it is in danger of floating away.

I like this one best. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
45 replies since Feb. 06 2013, 12:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pack volume
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions