2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nor'easter on the way< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

heading up to the Presidentials in New Hampshire tomorrow.  Hiking in Friday on the northern fringe of a big storm that's hitting the coasts.  ironic that it will be business as usual in the mountains, but that coastal cities may get a foot or two of snow.  

also ironic that i'm happy about the warming trend that will come with this storm.  right now, wind chills above the tree line are flirting with -60f.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bragging or saying? :D

Where you going...?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm flying back to Newark on Friday, so I fervently hope the less drastic models are correct.   Have fun!
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hatten down the batches!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes!!!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting ready up here.  Just like the winter of 78.  God I hope not.  Snow blower and generator are gassed up.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 06 2013, 11:30 pm)
I'm flying back to Newark on Friday [...]

Uhh... I hope you have a backup plan!  :)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:50 am)

Yeah... I heard on the Today Show that airlines are already refunding passengers. But I also saw that the current forecast shows the worst of the storm to be split between the Lake Ontario area and Boston/Maine, with a bit of a lull inbetween.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was there always this much hyper-sensitive obsession with weather or is my memory just dull because I was a kid who grew up where snow was a normal occurrence?  

Seems tome like people in the northeast shouldn't freak out every time it's supposed to snow, but maybe it's always been this way.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agreed, but the eastern half of MA and into Maine is forecast to get over 2 feet. That's A LOT for those areas. I've experienced Boston in 4" of snow and it's not a pretty sight.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was actually just reading about historic storms in Boston, and it's a truly rare event when we get into 18 inches, so this storm has the chance to be historic in terms of accumulation.

Latest I've heard locally is Boston-proper might be closer to 12" versus 24" (Boo coastal effects!!).  Part of the problem with moderate to heavy snow in Boston, is all the transplants here, who didn't grow up in New England (and the sheer density of the population).

But anyway - I agree NG, this is New England - we're supposed to have snow and cold!  Most of my office is complaining (all 4 of 'em), but me...I'm considering bringing my snowshoes into work for the walk home on Friday evening!!!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 12
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To me it seems a lot of the hype comes from the media. They make a big deal out of a storm that used to be a normal winter snow. They seem to be high on their predicted snowfall and rainfall. It does sound like this may be historic snowfall for some areas. Hope all stay safe and warm.
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The upper edge of the forecasts have Boston getting three feet by the storm's conclusion: the economic impact alone is probably making that newsworthy. Plus the driving conditions in such a blizzard are rather risky so getting the word out to the traveling public makes sense.

These converging systems generate a lot of energy and precipitation....
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:52 am)

Yeah... I heard on the Today Show that airlines are already refunding passengers. But I also saw that the current forecast shows the worst of the storm to be split between the Lake Ontario area and Boston/Maine, with a bit of a lull inbetween.

Refunding, HAH!  Instead of refund, my reschedule is going to be yet another full price ticket.  I hope that one doesn't get cancelled, too. (I should arrive late Saturday afternoon).
 Post Number: 15
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 08 2013, 1:24 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:52 am)

Refunding, HAH!  Instead of refund, my reschedule is going to be yet another full price ticket.  I hope that one doesn't get cancelled, too. (I should arrive late Saturday afternoon).

Hope you're at least stuck somewhere warm!

Doesn't seem like you're having much luck in the "natural disasters" department lately...  :D

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 16
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OOOH I'm getting excited!!!!  Finally right in the crosshairs!!  Haha - sorry it's hard to contain myself.  I have a feeling it won't be 3ft (in Boston-proper), but 24" is starting to sound more realistic based on the forecasts!!

We're stocked up at home, but I wanted a couple extra's like bacon and pancake mix, so I went to the supermarket last night.  The items missing from the store when I was there: Bananas, milk, water, eggs, and bread...I guess everyone is planning on having Banana French Toast in East Boston?!?!?

Anyways, I hope everyone affected stays safe and warm!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 17
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you folks in the Northeast are in for a doozy.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Feb. 07 2013, 10:38 am)
To me it seems a lot of the hype comes from the media. They make a big deal out of a storm that used to be a normal winter snow. They seem to be high on their predicted snowfall and rainfall. It does sound like this may be historic snowfall for some areas. Hope all stay safe and warm.

That's how I see it.  Used to be the weather forecast was once in the early morning, at supper and 10 (Central).  That was it.  Now we've got it 24/7 and they've got to make it interesting.

I now for a fact the local station managers push the meteorologists to sensationalize things.  Whether it's snow, tornados or temps.  Gotta keep those ratings up.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 19
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But, the new weather conciousness does save a good many lives, except for the stubborn few who disregard the warnings, like those folks who stayed on the coast in NJ during the last big northeast storm.

Just sayn.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 20
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Yes, the media does like to hype up anything and everything that they can...calling it NEWS...!!

Whatever is coming our way in NY's lower Catskill Mountains...blizzard...Nor'easter...whatever...it's just another part of Winter. Sometimes we get lots of snow...other years we get much less.

Hey...it's Winter...!!           :)
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Feb. 08 2013, 2:21 pm)
But, the new weather conciousness does save a good many lives, except for the stubborn few who disregard the warnings, like those folks who stayed on the coast in NJ during the last big northeast storm.

Just sayn.

If there wasn't a warning every other day, for absolutely no reason other than to sensationalize a non-event, perhaps people would listen when there's a legitimate warning.

Just sayin.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Feb. 08 2013, 8:27 am)

Doesn't seem like you're having much luck in the "natural disasters" department lately...  :D

That's for sure.  My reschedule got cancelled, too, so I'll be in Houston for the weekend.
 Post Number: 23
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 08 2013, 3:56 pm)

That's for sure.  My reschedule got cancelled, too, so I'll be in Houston for the weekend.

Where in Houston?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 24
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 08 2013, 2:02 pm)

(wwwest @ Feb. 08 2013, 2:21 pm)

Just sayn.

If there wasn't a warning every other day, for absolutely no reason other than to sensationalize a non-event, perhaps people would listen when there's a legitimate warning.

Just sayin.

You mean, sort of like the little boy who cried wolf?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember well the "big one" of 78'... was a junior in HS. Walked around our town enjoying it til' after midnight. I left in 1980 and moved West, but flew back in 83', only to get slammed with another big Noreaster. Got the last flight to the East Coast, and promptly stuck at the Hartford, CT airport overnight. Took all day on Amtrack to get home. That one was around 24" as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 08 2013, 5:18 pm)

(big_load @ Feb. 08 2013, 3:56 pm)

Where in Houston?

At the airport. One of my alternate flights un-canceled, so may actually get out Saturday morning. I should have checked with you for food recommendations, but I'm with a posse, so I'm trying to go with the flow for once.  (No BBQ or chicken fried steak  :( )

I'm setting a personal record, with nine flights in the last eleven days.  I'm tired of going through TSA.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 08 2013, 9:39 pm)
 I'm tired of going through TSA.

Ah c'mon... you know it makes you feel wanted :)

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 09 2013, 12:36 am)

(big_load @ Feb. 08 2013, 9:39 pm)
 I'm tired of going through TSA.

Ah c'mon... you know it makes you feel wanted :)

You're right, nobody else paws me quite the same way.  I didn't know they were supposed to rub your belly with a circular motion.  I thought maybe they were going to scratch my ears next.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BL, what did you end up with accumulation-wise?

--------------
 Post Number: 30
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 10 2013, 3:48 pm)
BL, what did you end up with accumulation-wise?

You're assuming he made it home to find out. . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
35 replies since Feb. 06 2013, 10:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nor'easter on the way
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions