2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Herbs for Medicinal Uses, What do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a big fan of herbs. I think they're good for you (antioxidants, antibacterial, etc.) and they taste good. So I've always added generous amounts to meals. I've recently begun drinking various herbal teas during the afternoon instead of coffee. But I've used these in a more general sense, not targeted for specific medicinal uses.

About 4 years ago, I heard a report on NPR about using echinacea at the first sign of sickness (similar to how Tamiflu is used), and I decided to get some in pill form. With two young kids in the house, I've gotten sick numerous times. But each time I took echinacea, the sickness either 1) disappeared or 2) was less severe and of shorter duration than normal. The earlier I started the echinacea, the better my improvement. The couple of times I didn't take echinacea, I got full-blown sickness.

Last year, after watching a Dr. Oz show, I got some goldenseal capsules... supposedly good for curing sore throats. Break the capsule, dump the powder into hot water, and gargle. It is some horribly bitter stuff, but it's the bitter compound that does the work, so I gladly suffer. I've had pretty good success with this herb as well. Case in point: yesterday I came down with a sore throat. Last night and this morning I gargled the goldenseal tonic, and my sore throat is practically gone.

I've used mint and ginger for indigestion, with good success.

I guess I've also used capsaicin (in the form of hot peppers) for sinuses... nothing like an extra-spicy meal to clear a stuffy nose. But that's only provided temporary relief.

And I'm sure most of us have used eucalyptus at some point.

Does anyone else here use herbs for medicinal purposes? (Yes, even marijuana if you're using it medicinally.)

ETA: Although I'm "sold" on herbs being used for preventative measures, I don't think they should be used as a cure/treatment for serious ailments that require doctor visits. I gladly took doctor-prescribed antibiotics for the strep throat I had a couple years ago that the echinacea/goldenseal had zero effect.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have some herbal cold tea that my sister made. I don't know what is in it but supposedly it works. I tend to use a combination of homemade remedies and "the real deal".

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use tumeric or turmeric for inflamation in my arthritic knees. I seldom use anything else and it keeps the pain down to a manageble level. I use capsule and powder.
 Post Number: 4
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's this "herb" I use for my glaucoma, dude.  Like man, I really like the side effects ... if you know what I mean.  I grow it in my closet.  

Now ... where did I put the Doritos?

Rumi~the far out~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 5
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:44 am)
I use tumeric or turmeric for inflamation in my arthritic knees. I seldom use anything else and it keeps the pain down to a manageble level. I use capsule and powder.

I did cook with that recently to help with my wife's cough/cold.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do drink Yogi tea.  I drink the Super Antioxidant.  The stuff is so good it doesn't need any sweetener.  I just drink it for general purposes, nothing in particular.

But when I need to shake my groove thing, I take a little Peaches n Herb ...

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to read everything I could on medicinal wild plants. But other than for nutritional value (rosehips for vitamin C, etc.), I can't think of any I ever latched onto for their medicinal value.

I have used juniper berries in place of hand sanitizer. But, of course, there is no way to test its effectiveness. And squashing them sufficiently to cover my entire hands was difficult to do.

I do think many wild plants have medicinal value, but there is enough folklore surrounding the topic that it is tough to separate the legend from the real thing.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I drink enough Scotch to keep all the nasty bugs at bay...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Feb. 07 2013, 5:45 pm)
I do drink Yogi tea.  I drink the Super Antioxidant.  The stuff is so good it doesn't need any sweetener.

Yep... I've got the Cold Season Sampler right now. Agreed regarding the sweetener.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two nights ago I went to bed with a scratchy throat and sniffles, and woke up yesterday with a sore throat and post-nasal drip. I'm happy to report that after 1 day of goldenseal gargles, all my symptoms are gone.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 08 2013, 5:38 am)
Two nights ago I went to bed with a scratchy throat and sniffles, and woke up yesterday with a sore throat and post-nasal drip. I'm happy to report that after 1 day of goldenseal gargles, all my symptoms are gone.

Gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide is also something that helps.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used echinacea & goldenseal  with great results also.  Other than those two, weed is another that helps with some pain management issues.  Of course I can only partake in the states where it's legal. :cool:
 Post Number: 13
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much what you do...also immune booster mushrooms. Waiting for the wisecracks here...laugh. But really, they rock! They come in capsule form, and I take one at the first sign of anything and it disappears fast. They are expensive tho.  A little cheaper thru vitacost....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 14
BaseballNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use marijuana. It is the best. Legal in Colorado.
 Post Number: 15
Athena Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm trying to formulate how best to respond to this post so here goes:
I've seen herbs used in many ways to treat symptoms, often with sucess, especially when compared to pharmacuticals that often have unwanted side effects.   How they are used can be more technical and I am no expert!  
As far as marijuana goes, I've done extensive research and was actually able to help persuade an insurance company to cover the costs on at least a trial basis.  It does have a positive effect on spasticy with no other real side effects.  Stronger muscle relaxants are also effective but often affect all muscles causing loss of bowel control or urinary urgency which decreases quality of life.   MJ  also effectively increases appetite which once again helps maintain healthier weights in patients where nausea and swallowing are issues.
 Post Number: 16
GreenMonkee Search for posts by this member.
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cannabis is the appropriate medical/scientific term for the plant with a thousand names.

--------------
Got three months on the injured list. No dancing for me. :(
 Post Number: 17
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 07 2013, 3:15 pm)

(oldnolder @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:44 am)

I did cook with that recently to help with my wife's cough/cold.

I've heard it can help prevent/delay/slow Alzheimer's, demetia, etc., but don't know if it's true or not.
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can cite a number of plants for use on a variety of aliments, but in double blind studies, most don't perform nearly as well as many proponents claim. There is a chart out there in cyberspace that plots the popularity of different medicinal plants against their performance in pharmacological studies. I'll try to find it and post the link, but the information it conveys is a disappointment to many herbalists. That doesn't mean that the knowledge of herbal medicine isn't useful when you don't have access to modern medicine. I just find the subject interesting.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 11 2013, 11:46 pm)
I can cite a number of plants for use on a variety of aliments, but in double blind studies, most don't perform nearly as well as many proponents claim. There is a chart out there in cyberspace that plots the popularity of different medicinal plants against their performance in pharmacological studies. I'll try to find it and post the link, but the information it conveys is a disappointment to many herbalists. That doesn't mean that the knowledge of herbal medicine isn't useful when you don't have access to modern medicine. I just find the subject interesting.

A few thoughts:

1) Pharmacological studies are typically done on a general population. People who use herbs are typically healthier, eat a better diet, etc. Herbs aren't as powerful as pharmaceuticals, so I wonder if herbs just work better in healthy individuals?

2) What % of herb claims are placebo effect? {Personally, I wish there was more research on placebo as treatment. It amazes me that the mind alone can cure disease}

3) It's been my personal experience that herbs work best for prevention, and pharmaceuticals work best after the disease is established.

4) Since you find the subject interesting... did you know that Michael Savage studied/worked in nutritional ethnomedicine before he got into political radio? I was listening to his show one day on a trip to the Adks, and he went totally off-topic and spoke about his pre-radio life for about 2 hours. I was totally fascinated. Basically: He was a sickly kid, and cured himself with nutrition and herbs. Got several Master's and a PhD. He traveled all over the world determining how native tribes used medicinal herbs. He's written about 20 "ethnomedicine" books under his true name, Michael Weiner.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike Savage, Savage Nation holy crap. Reminds me of my anti-islam days right after 9/11. That guy is extreme. I'll never forget going to his website and watching those real beheadings of american citizens. I blacked out and almost fainted.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 21
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard alphalpha tablets are good for heartburn issues, as is a bit of vinegar in some warm water, and ginger is good for nausea.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 22
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Green tea and 10 sun salutations are good for a lot of things ;)

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
21 replies since Feb. 07 2013, 9:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Herbs for Medicinal Uses
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions