2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Smart Phone Tech Question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My phone has been acting a little goofy lately and I am looking to buy a new one. I have a contract with ATT that ends in May. I plan to stay with ATT, but I don't want another two year contract. Can I buy an unlocked phone and just stick my sim card in it and go? Plus what is the best way to get my files from my old phone to the new one. I have the Motorola Atrix and I am looking at the Atrix 2.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, you can buy an unlocked phone. The worst is you might need to buy a new SIM card (there are different sizes), but they are cheap. I haven't been in a contract for years. I pay month to month. Cell companies hate me ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The law has changed regarding unlocked phones.

http://www.dailynexus.com/2013-02....l-in-us

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 4
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 08 2013, 1:34 am)

The phone that I am looking at is a GSM phone, so would that be a problem as I intend to stay with ATT?

ETA: I guess that might be a moot point since it is supposedly unlocked.
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know you can buy iPhones straight from apple that are unlocked.  But about $550+

I suspect if you pay full retail price for the phone also then they would unlock it for you. The law only says you have to get the carriers permission to unlock it now.  So it won't be illegal to have an unlocked phone if you follow the correct process.

"If you purchased a phone before Jan 26th, it will be considered “grandfathered in” and won’t be illegal to unlock. Also the law only restricts unlocking without a carrier’s permission, so if you get your carrier’s permission to unlock your phone you’ll be entirely okay — AT&T, for example, has been known to unlock iPhones for users whose contracts have expired and who are in good standing"

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Feb. 07 2013, 9:20 pm)
...I am looking to buy a new one.

Not that you asked, but I bought a smartphone just recently, and I think you can find some really good deals on Amazon.com, Ebay, etc. -- very good specs for very low prices -- if you are willing to settle for used / refurbished phones that were "editors choice" in 2010 or 2011.

Mine is an "essentially like new" HTC Sensation 4G running Android ICS 4.0.3.  Does everything I need it to and then some, and I paid $160 for it.  And there are many other good models out there.  My understanding is that good, new smart phones without plan subsidy will cost hundreds more.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you save all your contacts to the Sim Card, all you need to do is pop it into the newer phone.
 Post Number: 8
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To save the files, download them into a computer, and then down load them into the new phone.
 Post Number: 9
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ Feb. 08 2013, 2:23 pm)
If you save all your contacts to the Sim Card, all you need to do is pop it into the newer phone.

Yeah that's not a problem. I have a parts list for work on there and a couple of other things that I don't want to lose.

@Ben, amazon is where I was going to buy it.
 Post Number: 10
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 07 2013, 10:34 pm)

There is a HUGE difference between unlocked phones sold that way - and ones "unlocked" by the owner after buying them through a carrier's deal. If one wants to absorb cost upfront and buy unlocked that isn't illegal. For example, my MIL bought an iphone unlocked and paid upfront for it, then went on month to month autorefill via TMobile. Her phone is totally legal, she can take it to any carrier that uses SIM cards.

I haven't had a locked phone in years. My mobiles are unlocked, usually global capable. I go into the carrier of choice (currently TMobile), buy a SIM card that fits (for under $10), transfer my # and set up everything else online. Every month I am billed $30 on my CC. No agreement, no contract, no obligation beyond the recurring billing. I get unlimited interwebbies and texting, 100 minutes talk time. It is a great deal. $30 flat - nothing else tacked on. They key being I have a true unlocked mobile.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 11
cuester Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now is your chance to get a nexus 4. A pretty great new and manufacturer unlocked smart phone at an unbelievable price.
10 replies since Feb. 08 2013, 12:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Smart Phone Tech Question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions