2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Skiing, I still fall< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After 35+ years of skiing, both downhill and x-country, it seems I still fall at least once everytime I go out.  And sometimes it hurts.  Today I took a fairly long x-country ski day trip and fell twice. Admittedly, once was because my dog stopped in front of me and over I went when I hit her. (after that she stayed behind me).  Same thing happens downhilling (no dog to blame there though).  Regardless, I always seem to fall once or twice a day whne on skis.  Am I never to have a fall less day?  How about you guys?  Do you fall? Does it hurt?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No ski, no fall. =D

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, I've been skiing 45+ years.

If all I'm skiing is resort groomed "Green or Blue" runs, I never fall.  Even skiing nothing but groomed "Black" runs I might fall 1 to 2 times a day.

Groomed runs aren't particularly challenging.

That's why I'm a sucker for all of the in-bounds non maintained Back Bowls we have here in CO or UT. There might be lift service to somewhere near the top, or it might require another 1/4 mi skinning, poling to reach the entrance gates, but after that you're on your own.

I'll wreck/yard sale 10-12 times, before lunch, in the bottomless powder while I'm still strong.

After that, it's back to cruising the groomed stuff.

If you're not falling, you're not trying.

And yes, on occasion it hurts, sometimes more than others... :;):

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sometimes fall while XC skiing, although I dread it a little bit more every year.
 Post Number: 5
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hell yes I fall.  It usually doesn't hurt but with my recent knee problem, it sometimes hurts to get up.  Heck, I even fall on snowshoes.

I have given up downhill skiing and snowboarding because of my vision.  It would be irresponsible for me to get out on the slopes and endanger others as well as myself.  But XC skiing is still an option.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 6
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much what swimswithtrout said.   And most older advanced skiers don't fall down often unless they are  pushing it.   Good to take it down a notch as one gets older.  Same thing backpacking.  All three of us are getting older.  In 10 to 20 years if we are still here, none of us may still be skiing much less falling down.   When an older person's bones no longer are elastic one does not want to be falling.  Nor will we be backpacking as far or carrying as much.   100 years from now everyone reading this is just going to be dust.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually fall at least one time. Especially on the first several outings.  We dont always have good snow in the GR area.  But we have snow snakes here in Michigan.  They are all white and wait in the track for XC skiers to pass over them.  Then they coil around your ankles and DOWN you go.  Many will hide on steep down hills, you know , the ones with a T intersection at the bottom.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't fall much but one of these days, I'm going to trade in my old Olin 185s for some of those new shorter curved skiis.  It gets harder and harder to muscle those long sticks around the bumps.  I said I was going to do it when I could now longer keep up with the kids, but that day has come and gone.
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't fall much downhill skiing anymore.  I never thought I'd be a conservative skiier but, well, here I am.  I survived 3 months with my leg in a cast/boot after ankle surgery -- I was a single mom with a toddler living in a 3-story townhouse at the time.  When I get an urge to do anything crazy, those days flash before my eyes and I decide it's not worth it.

I started X-country skiing after a long hiatus two years ago.  I fell more that first day than I had downhill skiing the last 10 years.  That was humbling.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 09 2013, 7:00 am)
I don't fall much but one of these days, I'm going to trade in my old Olin 185s for some of those new shorter curved skiis.  It gets harder and harder to muscle those long sticks around the bumps.  I said I was going to do it when I could now longer keep up with the kids, but that day has come and gone.

I hear what you're saying about powering those Olins around, same ski I learned on.  The Volkls were much better, but still hard for me to play the bumps.  You will love and be amazed with the new shaped skis.  I was skiing better than ever immediately after I bought mine.  Without shaped skis I would probably have given up on downhill years ago.  
I tried a board, but fell hard on my wrist a few times and decided to stay with skis.  Looks like a good time, but not for me.
 Post Number: 11
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tore my knee cartilege when 16...then no falls for years...but alas I've had a few spills lately...nothing serious. Knock on wood!:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 12
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always, at least once...which is why we haven't been out because neither one of us have disability insurance right now. I never hurt myself, but if it were to happen and I (or the husband) were to be knocked out of work, we'd be in trouble.

At the new job though...I get disability insurance AND holidays off...

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 13
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a 2 year old "How often do you fall?" thread on the web's largest skiing web board with 265 posts.  So read all about it:

http://www.epicski.com/t/100203/how-often-do-you-fall

As I noted above a lot of us, especially older guys just don't fall much although it doesn't bother me when I do even right underneath a ski lift and likely just shrug it off with a smile.   Less frequent is actually popping out of a binding.    And even more rare, the last time I actually injured myself falling was about 15 years ago I received a nasty ligament partial tear that could have been lethal as it was a dangerous rocky chute.  An extreme skier going first broke his collar bone and rode back in a sled.  Caused me to exit a between jobs winter of skiing so I then went to work at Cisco.   After that lessons learned, I've tried to stay away from real dangers.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 14
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never tried downhill, but I've been x-country skiing as often as possible for about 15 years, and it seems like I always fall at least once.  A couple weekends ago, I skied a trail that involved almost two miles of steady downhill on the way back.  It was not groomed, but had been skied enough to provide a pretty decent track, and it was FUN.  It was through the trees, with some turns, but enough straight down the hill stuff to get some speed.  I was just opening my mouth at the bottom of the hill to remark that I skied the entire two miles without falling...and then I fell, 100 feet from the end of the trail as it flattened out.  For no apparent reason really.  Yeah, I always seem to fall.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 15
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a mini-celebration when I realized I didn't fall while XC skiing yesterday.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 16
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I just snowshoe, so not really part of this conversation, but I have never fallen. The earth on sundry occasions, however, has inexplicably risen up to meet me.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still fallin' after all these years. I'm 18 months out from destroying my tibial plateau in a non-skiing accident. I go pretty easy these days, but still telemark.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I XC Ski, but haven't skied in a couple of years.  Yep, still fall, and yes, it gets harder the older I get.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 11 2013, 7:58 am)
Well, I just snowshoe, so not really part of this conversation, but I have never fallen. The earth on sundry occasions, however, has inexplicably risen up to meet me.

"May the road rise to meet you" forsooth!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
Mountaintana Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If your not falling, your not trying. I didnt start skiing(downhill)until I was 13. At that time I was just learning and I was falling all the time for my first couple of years. After a few years I realized that I could go all day without falling until I tried something new, something a little bigger, something a little faster, something stupid. Eventually I had a good chance of standing even with something stupid. I'm now skiing with my 5 year old son, I'm confident in my abilities as is he(mostly) on the easiest of trails. Im not quite what i used to be but every once in awhile I will challenge him and myself  only to find myself eating snow. If I stick to my abilities and not try to show off I will stay on my skiis, if I try to be what I used to be, I will fall.
 Post Number: 21
ScotH Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am also of the belief that if you are not falling you are not pushing it or taking your skills to the edge. Now having said that, when your ability to support yourself or your family is influenced by whether you bust yourself up or not the circumstances are different.
I skied a lot growing up and into my late 20's. That was quite some time ago. Our daughter showed interest in skiing a couple of years ago and we skied several times that winter. I hadn't lost my ability but there was no way I was going to push it.
It likely comes down to the reason for your falls. Are you tired? Are you on slopes that your abilities are not sufficient for? Is it lapses in attention etc.
If you can identify the primary reason your falling you can respond accordingly.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ScotH @ Feb. 19 2013, 7:52 pm)
If you can identify the primary reason your falling you can respond accordingly.

Does getting old qualify? :p

Having said that, I'm happy to report I just returned from a four day skiing vacation and on two of the four days I didn't fall at all, even skiing blacks and double diamonds.  However, several spectacular - at least according to my companions - falls on the other days more than made up for it.

I suppose I will continue to fall until I get to old to ski and it's just too dangerous or I really hurt myself.  I reckon, at my age, I've gotten about as good as I'm going to get so pushing the edge may not make a lot of sense anymore.  Bottom line, it's still an incredible amount of fun and I'll keep doing it as long as I can.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 23
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried skiing some time ago, and I learned I'm not good at it. I don't know what they're called, the poles? I broke one of them!

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TIMOTEO @ Feb. 20 2013, 12:33 am)
I tried skiing some time ago, and I learned I'm not good at it. I don't know what they're called, the poles? I broke one of them!

You can't quit after just one time.  It takes a while.  Believe me, it's not a sport that comes naturally or that you become accomplished at after just a few times.  Actually, I'm not sure the human body is really designed for sliding down hills at insane speeds on two slim pieces of plastic.

Better you broke your poles, than your leg. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 25
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 2:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer,

This was Sunday at Snowbasin Resort in Utah. I learned via the thousand falls method, on skinny skis with 3-pins and leather boots. For several years I specialized in face plants with self-generated audio. So I am really good at getting up!

Post Number: 26
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey overthehill,

Shouldn't your right arm be behind you here? Seems like your left pole plant should be coming up, if I'm seeing it right, but you're still reaching forward with your right. Other than that, 7/10. :)

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

overthehill,

Another tele skier, huh. Thought about getting into it but at my age the learning curve and expense of all new equipment is a bit a deterent.  Still, gotta be fun.

Be careful out there.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
dnlskier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been skiing most of my life, so ~26+ years...  I have been racing 18+ of those - my folks put me in young to get some control of my need for speed.  I can say I have had one awesome crash this season racing and a few minor ones playing in the powder/trees.  You push yourself, it will catch up to you sooner or later.

Overall, yes falling is part of skiing.  Nobody gets away with skiing and entire season without a few crashes.  Enjoy and be safe out there!
 Post Number: 29
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 11 2013, 10:58 am)

Try having a lake rise up to meet you water skiing.  At least you get your sinuses irrigated.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 30
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer,

Had my fall, been more cautious since.

30 replies since Feb. 08 2013, 9:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Skiing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions