2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Forest Service Reaffirms Mountain Bike Ban on PCT, A great day for hiking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Forest Service has responded to the "Sharing the PCT" crowd which wants Mountain Biking to be allowed on the Pacific Crest Trail.  Here it is

This letter is in response to your October 22, 2012, email. I appreciate your interest in finding solutions that minimize conflict and the offer to work collaboratively on resolving and improving trail stewardship. My staff and I have a keen interest in improving mountain bicycle recreation experiences and increasing opportunities in appropriate places where shared use with bicycles already exists or is not prohibited. Both here and nationally, the Forest Service has partnered through a Memorandum of Understanding with the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) and other organizations to collaborate on the development and maintenance of shared use trails that meet agency goals for resource protection while providing and improving high quality mountain biking experiences.

Nation-wide the Forest Service provides the largest trail system in the nation with over 157,000 miles within the system. Outside of designated wilderness there are 125,962 miles of trail, of which 123,739 miles are open to mountain bicycling (98%) and 12,389 miles of trail managed specifically for mountain bicycling. We agree that there is much to be gained by selecting focal areas to work with communities and non-profits to improve mountain bicycling opportunities.

National Scenic and Historic Trails are to be managed for the activities and uses for which they were established by Congress as set forth by law. The primary uses for the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) were determined by the Comprehensive Management Plan and are also found in 36 C.F.R. § 212.21 as “primarily a footpath and horseback riding trail.” The Comprehensive Plan is explicit in its “Criteria for Location, Design, Signing and User Facilities” that the trail should “provide opportunities for hikers, horseman, and other non-mechanized travelers.” The bicycle closure for the PCT (1988) was developed with the unanimous support of the PCT Advisory Council after the Comprehensive Management Planning effort was completed. As you are likely aware, the Advisory Council, required by the National Trails System Act (NTSA) (Sec.5(d)), contained members from each state at the recommendation of the Governors, representatives from each federal or independent agency that the trail passes through, and members appointed to represent private organizations, including corporate and individual landowners and land users.

Legislative direction for considering additional uses beyond the primary uses of foot and horse travel is found in NTSA Sec. 7©: “Other uses along the trail, which will not substantially interfere with the nature and purposes of the trail, may be permitted by the Secretary charged with the administration of the trails.” The requirement to determine an identified carrying capacity of the trail and a plan for its implementation (Section 5(e)) would also need to be met. At this time, the Forest Service will not be pursuing a Comprehensive Management Plan Amendment and the rulemaking that would be required solely to consider adding “other uses” to the PCT. We will not be pursing “termination” of the bicycle closure order either for similar concerns. Our focus for management of the PCT continues to be ecological restoration and the backlog of maintenance resulting from wildfires, the Sierra Wind Event of 2011, and the flood events of 2006 and 2009 in Washington State.

There are many places where shared use with bicycles already exists or is not prohibited, and we support working together to improve mountain bicycle access and opportunities to connect local communities to National Forest System lands. Our region is currently working with the IMBA to identify where these opportunities exist and we welcome your assistance to identify sites and work to leverage resources for planning and implementation. . . .

Sincerely,

/s/ [employee] (for)
RANDY MOORE
Regional Forester
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic news.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

watch out for the horse poop.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Burner973 @ Feb. 09 2013, 6:58 am)
watch out for the horse poop.

Interesting, horse poop has never bothered me, and I've never met an un-courteous horse rider in the backcountry.

OTOH, my experience is, at a bare minimum, half the bikers go too fast and are discourteous. IMO, bikes are harder on the trails than horses.

I think part of it is the mindset... bikers "use" the trail as a  platform to exercise their gear. Horse people love their animals, but also travel at a pace to take in the backcountry for its own sake on a much loved companion.

Horses "feel" natural to Western trails... bikes don't.

My rather biased take on the issue...

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah I never argued for bikes. Just sayin watch out for horse sh*t, it's pretty stanky.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The tone of the letter is much better than that of this post.

Having a "great day for hiking" does not require gloating or rubbing someone elses nose in this decision.

It is in our best interest to band toegther with mountain bikers, equestrians, hunters, and (gasp) yes, even four wheelers and ATV users in order to preserve our wild areas.  There are issues where compromises need to be made to prevent over-use, but we're all on the same side, and there are enough wild areas for all to enjoy.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's a great day for Mountain Biking, too.

Perhaps they will finally quit wasting their time
trying to butt in on someone else's trail and
start putting their energies to building their
own trails.

There is more than enough room in the
forest for more Mountain Biking Trails.
 Post Number: 8
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I am happy about this ruling.  I hope the MTBers can find suitable trails to connect for longer trips but I just don't think the PCT with MTBs is a good match.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Terrific, news for the PCT. How do we get that to happen on the CDT? The Monarch Pass to Marshall Pass is flat out dangerous for hikers.
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the record, horse riders have not uniformly been decent people to me.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 11
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Feb. 09 2013, 7:39 pm)

+1

Just because you can carry a boombox and a cooler of beer doesn't mean you should utilize said gear all night long.

And its cool that you can ride into deeper streams and hang out, but some of us like our water a little less brown and with a lot less hay.
 Post Number: 12
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ Feb. 10 2013, 12:13 am)

+1

Just because you can carry a boombox and a cooler of beer doesn't mean you should utilize said gear all night long.

And its cool that you can ride into deeper streams and hang out, but some of us like our water a little less brown and with a lot less hay.

+10, saw that on a trail on Hunter Mtn in the Catskills plus a lot of horse crap.. Horse trails should be a separate area as well.

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most Western US trails were built for horses, not for hikers.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least on the SoCal sections of the PCT, my observation was that MB'ers largely ignored the ban in the past, I expect they will continue to do so in the future.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 10 2013, 3:01 pm)
At least on the SoCal sections of the PCT, my observation was that MB'ers largely ignored the ban in the past, I expect they will continue to do so in the future.

Only re-a firms the breed...

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Feb. 10 2013, 5:01 pm)

Maybe the Forest Service will step up their enforcement now that the ban has been reaffirmed.  They could also make it illegal to possess a bicycle on roads near the PCT.  That would make it easier for the Forest Service to enforce the ban.  They did a similar ban on ORVs in Minnesota with the NCT.
 Post Number: 17
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Burner973 @ Feb. 10 2013, 10:05 am)

(AndyPandy @ Feb. 10 2013, 12:13 am)

+1

+10, saw that on a trail on Hunter Mtn in the Catskills plus a lot of horse crap.. Horse trails should be a separate area as well.

Well as Brad noted/implied below you Burner you sure would have few trails to hike if you got your way, and that holds true for much of Appalachia as well.

The sheer numbers of Mt. Bikers out there make them an exponentially greater threat than horse riders to almost every trail they use. Anyone that doesn't "think" that please go to Crested Butte, CO, hike extensively, and get back to us.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 18
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 10 2013, 4:42 pm)
Most Western US trails were built for horses, not for hikers.

Well aware of that and I don't mind stepping over poop or holding my breath through a cloud of flies on hot days. I am keenly aware that horseback riders contribute a great deal to trail maintenance as well.

Luckily those inconsiderate riders and hikers seem to disappear after about 15 miles into the backcountry.
 Post Number: 19
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And then DC chimes in and I'm like....

P.S. Horses smell like poop.

--------------

18 replies since Feb. 09 2013, 2:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Forest Service Reaffirms Mountain Bike Ban on PCT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions