2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Mexico CDT Hike Coming Up Soon, Starting end of March< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 1:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am getting more and more into trip prep to hike the CDT in New Mexico starting the end of March/early April.  Exact date has not been set yet.

One room of the house has turned into a supply depot.  

I have found one other hiker from NC who will make this trip with me.  Recently I have been hanging out on the CDT-L a lot getting together trip info from other CDT hikers.

I am excited.  Nice plans for a 64 yr old recovering cancer patient.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck!  Once your plans are more set, I'd like to follow your progress.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not planning on taking any communication devices with me.  I am going to be just out there.  I might have a cell phone in my bounce box, but that will be it.  If I have the opportunity I may get the chance to get on line a few times, but I am retired now.  I have no time pressures, no commitments to get back too.  

Retirement is the best vacation I have ever had.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool, keep us posted!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool. Happy trails.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, have a great trip.  I'm envious and with you in spririt.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the BLM here is a look at the New Mexico section of the CDT.

Find the link for water caches in the middle- very interesting.

http://www.blm.gov/nm....st.html

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thoughts on long distance hiking- at least the CDT.

1. Its expensive.  Its expensive in many ways, and one gets older the pack has to get lighter.  and like one poster on the CDT-L says, cutting pounds is cheap, cutting ounces is expensive.

2. Hiking the CDT is more involved than most casual hikers can imagine.  This is no 50- 100 mile loop trail where you begin and start at the same trail head.  If I finish where I plan to finish at Cumbres Pass in southern Colo I will be just over 700 miles from where I started at Crazy Cooks on the border of Mexico.

3. How many maps does a trip like this take, anyway!!!  All part of the expense and planning.

4. Others have done this trip- I can too.

5.  It's nice being retired- no schedule or deadlines.  I can take what the trail gives and not worry about having to be done by a certain time.

6.  Learning more every day.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wanna grow up to be like you.

What is this "CDT-L" of which you speak? Google doesn't have the answer.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cdt-l is an email group used by CDT hikers to share information about the trail.

It is of great value to anyone planning on hiking the CDT.

These links may help.

Cdt-l mailing list:
Cdt-l@backcountry.net
http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l

The first address is for signing onto the list.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why NM?  Wouldn't you want to jump right into the good stuff like CO and points north?  Can you tell I'm not partial to desert hiking?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:50 am)
Why NM?  Wouldn't you want to jump right into the good stuff like CO and points north?  Can you tell I'm not partial to desert hiking?

I have hiked from Canada down to Lincoln, MT.  Nice section of trail through the bob marshall/Glacier NP.

I have done a nice section of the CDT through the Winds and from Yellowstone NP up into ID.

I have hiked about a 3rd of the CDT in Colorado from Cmbres Pass to San Louis Pk a nice section in the middle of the of CO and Mt Zirkel wilderness.

I have not hiked anything in NM yet, and NM has some fantastic landscapes, Mt Taylor, challenges that are unique to NM.  

So New Mexico was my state of choice for this hike.  

And it starts out pretty flat- no mountains to creep up for the first 100 miles or so.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There have been a change of plans.
I was notified by the guy I was going to hike with we should plan our own trip.  He is about my age but is interested in trying to push for 25+ miles a day.  I am not interested in that kind of mileage so we will both be hiking solo.

Next change.

There are two CDT routes.  One is the "Official" CDT and the other is the CDTS trail.
I wanted to do the CDTS trail originally but went with the CDT official route that starts at a place on the side of the bootheel of New mexico called Crazy Cook's.

The CDTS starts below Columbus and makes it way up to Deming and then on to Membres and then west into the gila wilderess and meets up with the official CDT.

So for this trip I will be hiking solo.  I used to have no problems going solo but wonder if its still something I will feel comfortable with.  Life is full of changes.

Long distance hiking is never easy, always challenging, and I guess changes in companionship are to be expexted.

If anyone is interested in following me, I'll do the work, you can follow along. 12- 15 miles a day is enough for me with water and route finding to work with all day long.

This coming week I am heading out in the Superstition Mts in AZ for 5- 6 days to try our a new Zpack Hexamoid plus tent.  $400 to shave off 2 lbs of weight from my pack.  And some volume.

I have map work to do tonight- route planning, getting the routes into my Delorme map program and then entered into my GPS.

Official start date is now set for April 1.  I thought that would be an appropriate date for a 64 yr old hiker to begin a solo hike of New Mexico.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Feb 20, 2013.

I leave Sunday, March 31 and begin the first part of my NM hike doing the section between the border with Mexico and Deming following the CDTS route.

Today I am beginning to put resupply boxes together.  I am planning on 8 resupply points along the way.  7 boxes will have to be mailed.  

I am on schdule and moving towards my goal of hiking New Mexico section of the CDT.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 1:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds so awesome! Yea, I agree with you....25+ miles per day would not be as much fun...

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 2:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RD,

Relax, take your time and enjoy the experience. The 25 mile-a-day guy sounds like a tourist in the Louvre.... Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, been there, done that.

I hope to do the same trip in another 4 years and plan to breath in and savor every minute of it...at least in my Walter Mitty mind. Good planning, gets good results and I know you have that nailed. WTG
 Post Number: 17
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, whatever works for you is what's important. I think making hiking an athletic/competitive event really diminishes any wild experience, but then again different strokes for different folks.

Let me know if you think about points farther North later in the calendar. Hoping for a better snowpack than last year but not looking good at this point with the forecast.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 21 2013, 10:31 am)
Yeah, whatever works for you is what's important. I think making hiking an athletic/competitive event really diminishes any wild experience, but then again different strokes for different folks.

Let me know if you think about points farther North later in the calendar. Hoping for a better snowpack than last year but not looking good at this point with the forecast.

There is the possiblity of another hike on the CDT in August/Sept starting in mid-Colo and hiking up to Rawlings.

See how the NM hike goes and how the wife is doing after the hike.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)

This is very cool.  I don't have much to add beyond that.  Seeing some of the struggles you went through in recent years, seeing you tackle this is inspiring, to say the least.  Keep posting updates RD!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you carrying a SPOT device?  I did a search on Crazy Cook and turns out it's a monument about 2/3 of the way down the bootheal on the eastern border.
That adds a little more distance to your journey but what the heck!
 Post Number: 21
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, ditto what GoBlue said.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Feb. 21 2013, 3:17 pm)
Are you carrying a SPOT device?  I did a search on Crazy Cook and turns out it's a monument about 2/3 of the way down the bootheal on the eastern border.
That adds a little more distance to your journey but what the heck!

Crazy Cook on the Bootheel is the "offical" starting place now for the CDT.  However, the alternative route advocated by the CDTS starts on the border just below Columbus, NM.  

For info on the CDTS see:  http://www.cdtsociety.org/

The CDTS route is the one used my Karen Berger and Daniel Smith in their book Where the Waters Divide.  I consider this one of the better books on the CDT.

I originally wanted to follow the CDTS route for a number of reasons.  One of them is that for the first 150- 200 miles there are no trail markers.  That would be the trail between the border up to about 10-15 miles south of the Gila Cliff Dwellings where the CDTS and the CDT meet.  

I like the idea of no trail markers which allows one to experience some of the original thrill of the CDT and a freedom that a well established trail like the AT doesn't offer.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did read Karen's book but since that time, I've not followed what's going on with the CDT much.  So I didn't know there was now an official starting location.

Back in the day, a hiker just put together a route through the state since there was no official trail on the ground, with a few exceptions.  I got the impression that it was a hike on old roads, jeep road, road traces, etc.  This  was due to private property everywhere.  What's a hiker to do when he comes upon a barbed-wire fence that stretches east-west and the direction of travel is north?

You can tempt the trigger-finger of an unhappy landowner by climbing the fence or hike who-knows-how-many miles out of the way to avoid trespassing.  

Maybe these issues are lessened by hiking the official trail, which is farther west in the state and closer to the actual divide.

You da man, Doug.  Have a good one.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The original original trail started at the very bottom of the Bootheel in Antelope Wells but there were just too many property/trail conflicts so the CDT has been reworked from what is known as Crazy Cook's on the side of the Bootheel.

In the laast few years a lot of work has gone into marking and routing issues along the CDT in NM.  In Colorado the CDT has the opportunity to follow the CT for a few hundred miles and the network of trails in Colorado all pretty much covered by a good Trails Illustrated map make hiking the CDT in Colorado fairly easy as far following and choicing a route.  That holds true pretty much up to Rawlings, WY but the Great Basin north of Rawlings does offer a number of challenges.  But as one approaches Big Sandy Lodge and the Winds from the south again route finding gets much easier.  From Green River Lake in the winds up to northern yellowstone I have no idea how the trail is marked, but that area should be relatively easy to manage trailwise.  Of course Yellowstone is all mapped out so that is no issue, and heading into ID/MT through Macks Inn route is not that challenging, either.  I have hiked about 50- 70 miles of north/west out of Yellowstone and found it fairly easy to follow the CDT.  There my knowledge of the CDT ends until Lincoln, MT where I have hiked from the Canadian border down to Lincoln- all faily easy trail to follow.  

New Mexico is still the big challenge but for many CDT hikers they see NM in many ways as a big plus in their hiking experience.  This year my feet seem to be in good condition, the cancer issues are hopefully behind me and I have been wanting to do New Mexico for a long time.  

The challenges just appeal to me for some reason.

--------------
23 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 1:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Mexico CDT Hike Coming Up Soon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions