2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camping on a cruise ship?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, Carnival has this commercial which essentially pokes fun at camping and suggests that a cruise is the way to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7axonV2UA
(sorry, don't know how to embed video)

Lo and behold, there's a Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf without power and the passengers are "sleeping in tents on the decks" and "using the bathroom in bags or buckets."
Sounds like a super expensive way to go camping if you ask me!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....cJRwYvp

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I had to chuckle at that.  Maybe the Cartel can help in Progresso, Mex.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Feb. 11 2013, 3:39 pm)
Lo and behold, there's a Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf without power and the passengers are "sleeping in tents on the decks" and "using the bathroom in bags or buckets."
Sounds like a super expensive way to go camping if you ask me!

I wonder how their incidence of Norovirus infections will compare to those of backpackers.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMO, cruising is just about the worst way to see places.  But I LOVE cruising itself for what it offers:  nonstop eating, shows, jacuzzi, total relaxation, ....

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've actually camped on a cruise ship on several occasions and it was great.  Actually, it wasn't a real cruise ship but one of the Alaska State Highway Dept's ferries that plies the Inland Waterway from Haines and Skagway to Prince Rupert, BC.  Lots of folks rented cabins but we always claimed a deck chair with our sleeping bags right under the solarium on the back deck and just hung out there for ther three day cruise south.  It was great.  Full use of the showers, rest rooms, cafe, etc.  We were under a heated roof but still outside watching the whales and eagles rather that sequested into a stiffling cabin.  Quite confortable and lots cheaper too.  Wonderful way to travel, IMO.  I loved it.  Gotta do it again sometime soon.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 11 2013, 2:37 pm)
I've actually camped on a cruise ship on several occasions and it was great.  Actually, it wasn't a real cruise ship but one of the Alaska State Highway Dept's ferries that plies the Inland Waterway from Haines and Skagway to Prince Rupert, BC.  Lots of folks rented cabins but we always claimed a deck chair with our sleeping bags right under the solarium on the back deck and just hung out there for ther three day cruise south.  It was great.  Full use of the showers, rest rooms, cafe, etc.  We were under a heated roof but still outside watching the whales and eagles rather that sequested into a stiffling cabin.  Quite confortable and lots cheaper too.  Wonderful way to travel, IMO.  I loved it.  Gotta do it again sometime soon.

Yeah, think it was Backpacker that had an article about renting a space on deck on Alaska bound cruises and ferries several years back.  Maybe Carnival line is thinking about mimicking that model elsewhere. Not for me though. Hey, I've watched "Jaws" and that's all I need to know about becoming fish food.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't say I've ever had a great desire to go on a commercial cruise, but something like this...

Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a Barefoot cruise once.  200 ft sailing vessel, 80 passengers.  BVI.  I liked it so much I started looking into buying a sailboat.  No action on that front so far, after a mere 25 yrs.  Might help if I had 2 travel mates like the ones pictured above.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 11 2013, 7:29 pm)
I did a Barefoot cruise once.  200 ft sailing vessel, 80 passengers.  BVI.  I liked it so much I started looking into buying a sailboat.  No action on that front so far, after a mere 25 yrs.  Might help if I had 2 travel mates like the ones pictured above.

3 days' maintenance for every day of glorious sailing.  Count yourself lucky.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what HikerJer said. Can't beat the view.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I had a bear AND a big cat at my car window, I'd be taking pictures - not throwing food!  How cool would that be?  :;):

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 11 2013, 11:11 pm)

3 days' maintenance for every day of glorious sailing.  Count yourself lucky.   :;):

And then there's having to take care of the boat  :p

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now some cruise customers are finally moving after being dead in the water.  Apparently the sewage system got backed up while the ship stalled and ... well, you read the news reports.  

Cruise ship mishap _ CNN

What is it with all this norovirus, running out of fuel, and even sinking or capsizing?  Or is it we finally have news coverage?

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 12 2013, 6:56 am)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 11 2013, 11:11 pm)

And then there's having to take care of the boat  :p

:laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 15
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 3:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LonesomeGeorge said they should offer every passenger free passes to the National Parks. LOL. I love it!!!! Poor people!! Miserable vacation.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 16
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 6:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cruise ships, even when fully functional, are one of my visions of Hell.  Camping on the deck would invite way too much curiosity from the non-tenting passengers.
 Post Number: 17
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get feeling crowded if I have to share a lake with more than a couple other campers. Can't imagine spending a week with several hundred of my new best friends in a space not much bigger than a football field and no way to escape.
I'll take two days without seeing another soul over that anytime.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
16 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 3:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camping on a cruise ship?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions