2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Time to put down an old friend, 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She has been our go adventure vehicle since 2002.  With 195000 miles on her. We are putting her down tomorrow. The unibody has rusted thru and can no longer pull the load. Road bikes, mountain bikes, tandem road bike, skis, canoe, kayaks, backpacks, snowshoes... and on.  The NEW replacement is a 2002 Pontiac Aztek with a mere 107000 on her.  Lots of room inside, once you get past the exterior styling...  Let the adventure begin!

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny how one can get attached to a vehicle.  I have a GMC Pickup that has close to 200,000 on her and she has never left me stranded.

Have always said if I won the lottery I would have her fully restored and just let her rest in the garage and only driver her on sunny days.

Hope the new vehicle treats you as well.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 3
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ Feb. 11 2013, 2:15 pm)
She has been our go adventure vehicle since 2002.  With 195000 miles on her. We are putting her down tomorrow. The unibody has rusted thru and can no longer pull the load. Road bikes, mountain bikes, tandem road bike, skis, canoe, kayaks, backpacks, snowshoes... and on.  The NEW replacement is a 2002 Pontiac Aztek with a mere 107000 on her.  Lots of room inside, once you get past the exterior styling...  Let the adventure begin!

She isn't really very old, in human years, but you apparently wrung everything you could out of her.  Congrats on that.  Hope your "new" one serves you well.

We bought our Nissan Sentra off the showroom floor in 1992 and it is still going strong.  Sometimes I want a different car and I almost bought a new Mazda3 last month, but I didn't.  The Sentra only has 157,000 miles.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Feb. 11 2013, 6:53 pm)

We bought our Nissan Sentra off the showroom floor in 1992 and it is still going strong.  Sometimes I want a different car and I almost bought a new Mazda3 last month, but I didn't.  The Sentra only has 157,000 miles.

Hey, that's encouraging.  I have a 96 Sentra that just turned 90,000 miles. Was thinking about trading her in, but maybe not.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Jer,
At 90,000 miles we hadn't done anything but regular maintenance and a battery and starter.  It hasn't needed much since then: struts, drive axles, brakes, another starter, alternator, battery and a motor mount.  Not expensive stuff.  Nissans have a drive chain, not a belt so there is a huge maintenance savings.  The driver's door hing is wearing out, but I'm searching the bone yards for a replacement.   Drive that '96 till the wheels fall off.  You will save big money.

Gas mileage isn't as much as I would expect, but it hasn't changed in 21 years, avg. 26.5 mpg on highway and in town.  What do you get?
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually wait until they need some fixing, after 220,000.  I drove a Chevy S-10 to 225K, and a Plymouth Voyager until 230,000.  Wife drove a Plymouth Acclaim until it had 210K on it.  I am now at 105K on a '07 Civic hybrid and plan to drive it for another 10 years or so.  Since I retired, less miles get put on it and more on the airlines.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Feb. 11 2013, 11:41 pm)
Gas mileage isn't as much as I would expect, but it hasn't changed in 21 years, avg. 26.5 mpg on highway and in town.  What do you get?

Actually, that's real close to what I get combined city/highway. We've had a few electirical problems and replaced the struts. Other than that, it's treated us pretty well.  Kind of a fun car to drive.  I'll ponder you advice.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, fun in an "almost classic car" kinda way.  My four-door GXE isn't as exciting or eye catching as the sport cars I've owned, but in the last few years about half a dozen individuals and a dealership have asked if I would sell it.  The two-door models are generally more desirable.  This past summer a mechanic told me it was worth $3200-$3500.  Jer, it makes sense that yours would be worth more.
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a Volkswagen Jetta diesel.  About 6 or 7 years old, around 115,000 miles.  It's just getting warmed up.  I get close to 45 miles per gallon and it should go 300,000 for sure, maybe 400,000.   :)  :;):
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those diesel Volkswagens are intriguing.  Some people, like yourself, rack up many trouble free miles with great mpg.  Unfortunately I have spoken with enough people that have had huge (expensive) repairs that I have decided to stay away for now.  I keep waiting for a tried and true small diesel pick-up to come to America.
Congratulations on your reliable car.
 Post Number: 11
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Feb. 12 2013, 8:58 pm)
I've got a Volkswagen Jetta diesel.  About 6 or 7 years old, around 115,000 miles.  It's just getting warmed up.  I get close to 45 miles per gallon and it should go 300,000 for sure, maybe 400,000.   :)  :;):

We have one too, a 2009 with 35,000 on it. My husband uses it to commute to his job. For our ever growing family, we have a 2006 Volvo XC90 that gets horrible gas mileage, but only has 100,000 miles on it and it is paid off.

I just recently let go of my 1997 Volvo 850 Sedan that had 210,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. My dear old dad is now driving the thing.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 12
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put a new set of tyres on the beast. So Im good for the next 50000 miles. Drives well and better ground clearance. Wish it were AWD but should be able to bust drifts here in MI.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

290K on my 2000 Camry and still going strong.
 Post Number: 14
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My '99 Ranger has about 180k. Still runs great. I'm getting kind of tired of driving it, but I can't stand the thought of making payments on something newer.  :;):
 Post Number: 15
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Zippo, that Taurus have the old bench style frong seat as opposed to the bucket seats Taurus later started using?  those cars did well on gas mileage, too.  I had two of them until they went to the bucket seats.

You have my sympathy- both for the old car and the new.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 16
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ Feb. 11 2013, 4:15 pm)

Its always hard to put down such a close friend that has been in your family for years.

Having gone through this before, may I suggest that you take it to a reputable mechanic.

Maybe be humane and sit behind the wheel just one more time, so that there is no pain when the mechanic disconnects the battery.

These little things will make your Taurus feel better as the end nears.

HTH!

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
15 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 5:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Time to put down an old friend
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions