2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympics< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....64.html

I would have thought that being one of the "original" sports, it would have been fairly safe.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah I find it very boring to be honest.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find most of the Olympics to be pretty dull, but I always favor something where the winner isn't determined by subjective judging.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was shocked when I read that this morning. In it's place could be: baseball/softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding, or wushu.

Why not drop judo and tae kwon do, ignore karate and wushu, and add MMA to incorporate all styles of martial arts? Kumite, kumite, kumite...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh.  I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 12 2013, 10:17 am)
I was shocked when I read that this morning. In it's place could be: baseball/softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding, or wushu.

Why not drop judo and tae kwon do, ignore karate and wushu, and add MMA to incorporate all styles of martial arts? Kumite, kumite, kumite...

It was surprising to me, too, but the report I saw said that it wasn't a final decision, but that it was relegated to that list, only one of which will survive.  I hope wrestling makes the cut.
 Post Number: 7
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 12 2013, 10:38 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 12 2013, 10:17 am)

It was surprising to me, too, but the report I saw said that it wasn't a final decision, but that it was relegated to that list, only one of which will survive.  I hope wrestling makes the cut.

From the article I read:

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC session, or general assembly, in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponlin....emc=rss

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 8
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm shocked and pretty pissed. A true sport, one of the original and oldest sports and they dump it? I'm at a loss for words.
 Post Number: 9
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Feb. 12 2013, 12:46 pm)
I'm shocked and pretty pissed. A true sport, one of the original and oldest sports and they dump it? I'm at a loss for words.

+1

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Odd choice, IMHO, a small cost sport with a lot of opportunity for smaller countries to field just a few people allowing for more widespread participation in the Olympic movement?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 12 2013, 1:05 pm)
Odd choice, IMHO, a small cost sport with a lot of opportunity for smaller countries to field just a few people allowing for more widespread participation in the Olympic movement?

Indeed.  While the Russians usually dominate the sport, the overall second place winner was Azerbaijan in 2012.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 12
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably just some type of Olympic sanction against Middle Eastern countries.

Very short sighted.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it a schedule problem?  But wrestling is one of the originals, no?  Maybe they should cut out synchronized swimming instead?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 2:13 pm)
Is it a schedule problem?  But wrestling is one of the originals, no?  Maybe they should cut out synchronized swimming instead?

TV ratings

Most people would rather watch women in swimwear rather than guys rolling around on the mat.   :p

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 1:13 pm)

Or badminton. Or table tennis. Or handball.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose they need to make more room for "real" sports like synchronized swimming...
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:25 am)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 2:13 pm)

TV ratings

Most people would rather watch women in swimwear rather than guys rolling around on the mat.   :p

But they provide hundreds of broadcast hours of competition so I can't see them needing to drop wrestling in order to squeeze in more airtime for whatever.

They don't air wire to wire coverage of just about any events so the concept of off broadcast events is right there.

The one trend I could see getting a sport in trouble would be a decline in the number of national federations applying to participate.
 Post Number: 18
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh no! What am I going to watch for 5 minutes at 3:00am on a Tuesday morning every four years? Have they televised a single wrestling match in the last 50 years? Not a big money sport for whatever reason. Plus who wants to watch two dudes "grapple" in tights on the floor? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:26 am)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 1:13 pm)

Or badminton. Or table tennis...

Anything to keep the Asians down, huh?   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 20
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally disgusting. This is one of the original Olympic sports. I can't believe this.We really need rythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming. Any country can compete. No special equipment. I have been following wrestling for many years as a fan and parent. (Son was HWT state champ and college wrestler.) I still support and help out local teams. I feel that this decision will be overturned.
 Post Number: 21
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a boring sport for the spectator.  It's gotta sell ads to survive.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Feb. 12 2013, 3:16 pm)
It's gotta sell ads to survive.

So what's the problem?   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 23
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bateauxdriver @ Feb. 12 2013, 4:16 pm)
It's a boring sport for the spectator.  It's gotta sell ads to survive.

Excuse me, but then please explain NASCAR. It as boring as watching grass grow and it doesn't even resemble a sport.

Ben, you didn't just do that...the rest of ya'll are just homophobes.

:p
 Post Number: 24
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The following Olympic sports may be valid sports, and I might enjoy watching some of them, (beach volleyball) however I don't think they fit well in a traditional Olympic sports setting.  

Events ought to have broad participation across the globe, tradition, and be reasonably accessible to ordinary people regardless of their wealth. And there ought not be excessive numbers of individual events in any given sport.  Swimming has far too many events.  The result is dilution.   There seems to be a mindset the last few decades of bloating the event list no doubt in part to cast a wider net of viewers because it has become big business with huge TV moneys.

•badminton
•beach volleyball
•equestrian
•golf
•handball
•modern pentathlon
•sailing
•taekwondo
•triathlon (swimming, biking, running)

The first two are unfortunately entrenched Olympic sports but are events with subjective judging issues.

•diving
•gymnastics
•synchronized swimming

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 25
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:46 am)

Well, to be honest, wrestling has really gone down hill since they stop doing it all naked and oily.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Feb. 12 2013, 4:25 pm)

Well, to be honest, wrestling has really gone down hill since they stop doing it all naked and oily.

I am sure if they bring that back, the money will follow.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 6:04 pm)

(Raznation @ Feb. 12 2013, 4:25 pm)

I am sure if they bring that back, the money will follow.

It would certainly make fencing more interesting.....
 Post Number: 28
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The reason they had to drop wrestling, is to make room for new sports.  They have imposed a limit on the number of events allowed in the Olympics.  Cycling lost several of the velodrome events already for the same reason.  Athe new sports which will be in the Olympics is golf, which will allow multi-millionaire pros to compete for gold medals. *sigh*

A nice thing about the Olympics has been that for most of these sports the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport.  Not so with sports like golf, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, tennis, etc.  It is sad these pro sports have crowded out the others like wrestling.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 29
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Feb. 13 2013, 8:05 am)
The reason they had to drop wrestling, is to make room for new sports.  They have imposed a limit on the number of events allowed in the Olympics.  Cycling lost several of the velodrome events already for the same reason.  Athe new sports which will be in the Olympics is golf, which will allow multi-millionaire pros to compete for gold medals. *sigh*

A nice thing about the Olympics has been that for most of these sports the Olympics is the pinnacle of the sport.  Not so with sports like golf, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, tennis, etc.  It is sad these pro sports have crowded out the others like wrestling.

Rumi

Indeed sad.  Unfortunately those running the Olympics are at this point entrenched with their greedy TV buddies so it will be impossible to ever separate the two as $$$ interests will have all the power to maintain  control.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you're spot on Rumi.

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

43 replies since Feb. 12 2013, 9:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympics
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions