2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Earth From Space on NOVA, PBS Tomorrow Night (Wed)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 3:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a heads-up (I found out about this through work, in a remote sensing research center things like this get attention, lol), tomorrow night there's a special on PBS NOVA called "Earth From Space."

Link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/earth-from-space.html

From the ad:
"Earth From Space" is a groundbreaking two-hour special that reveals a spectacular new space-based vision of our planet. Produced in extensive consultation with NASA scientists, NOVA takes data from earth-observing satellites and transforms it into dazzling visual sequences, each one exposing the intricate and surprising web of forces that sustains life on earth. Viewers witness how dust blown from the Sahara fertilizes the Amazon; how a vast submarine "waterfall" off Antarctica helps drive ocean currents around the world; and how the sun's heating up of the southern Atlantic gives birth to a colossally powerful hurricane. From the microscopic world of water molecules vaporizing over the ocean to the magnetic field that is bigger than Earth itself, the show reveals the astonishing beauty and complexity of our dynamic planet.

The official broadcast time is 9:00, although you can check the "TV Schedule" and "Local Listings" to find your broadcast times (it's playing 8pm here, for instance).  NOVA Schedule

Just FYI!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NOVA -- one of the few TV programs I still watch.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw previews for that and it looked very interesting.

FYI... also check out "Life on Fire" also on PBS. It's a series about wildlife that live near/on volcanoes.  The last one I saw had amazing footage of underwater eruptions.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up...looks awesome!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trailer:

Watch Earth from Space Preview on PBS. See more from NOVA.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 12 2013, 2:00 pm)
NOVA -- one of the few TV programs I still watch.

Yup... that and about 60% of everything that PBS airs.

Had cable in 1985 and got rid of it 1986... I'm not missing anything.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 2:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PBS dominates my Wensday night lineup. I prefer Nature over Nova generally, but will definitely watch this episode. I have also just recently discovered "Life on Fire" and also enjoy watching it. PBS seems to be the only TV station that has not bought into reality TV, and I hope it stays this way.
 Post Number: 8
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oooo, this is going to be really good.  I love Nature and Nova.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 9
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One the schedule to be recorded. I'll be out tonight.

Thanks for the heads up.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 12 2013, 1:55 pm)
Just a heads-up (I found out about this through work, in a remote sensing research center things like this get attention, lol), tomorrow night there's a special on PBS NOVA called "Earth From Space."

Just FYI!

- Mike

NOVA was excellent last night!

--------------
 Post Number: 11
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn. I fell asleep 30 minutes into the program. {Not that I wasn't interested, I was just too tired.}

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 14 2013, 7:16 am)
Damn. I fell asleep 30 minutes into the program. {Not that I wasn't interested, I was just too tired.}

I admit to missing 10 minutes due to sleep :D

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you liked it Brad.

I thought the first 15 minutes or so were pretty slow.  They just kept explaining again & again what they were going to show.  I kept saying "okay already, start showing!"  But then it picked up IMO.

My boss was on the show... he's the one who mentioned in the office it was coming on, but he didn't mention he was in it.  I had a chuckle when I saw him in there.  (Waleed Abdalati, NASA Chief Scientist--the bald guy)

Anyhoo, it's not an academy-award winning production or anything, but I thought the science was pretty cool.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 14 2013, 7:52 am)
Glad you liked it Brad.

I thought the first 15 minutes or so were pretty slow.  They just kept explaining again & again what they were going to show.  I kept saying "okay already, start showing!"  But then it picked up IMO.

My boss was on the show... he's the one who mentioned in the office it was coming on, but he didn't mention he was in it.  I had a chuckle when I saw him in there.  (Waleed Abdalati, NASA Chief Scientist--the bald guy)

Anyhoo, it's not an academy-award winning production or anything, but I thought the science was pretty cool.

Ha! I slept through the first 10+ minutes so apparently I didn't miss much!

Tell your boss good job...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roscue2 @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:08 pm)
PBS dominates my Wensday night lineup. I prefer Nature over Nova generally, but will definitely watch this episode. I have also just recently discovered "Life on Fire" and also enjoy watching it. PBS seems to be the only TV station that has not bought into reality TV, and I hope it stays this way.

I get what you are saying about reality tv.  PBS programming could be called actual reality, or real reality tv.  Those other programs should be labeled scripted or soap opera reality tv. :)

Fascinating program last night.  The imagery created using sensors that look beyond the visible spectrum left me feeling very small and yet the interconnections of systems and events clearly demonstrated in non-abstract terms that individual particles of photo-plankton and dust have an enormous impact.  Even the molecules blown apart by lighting are vital pieces to the fabric of our existence.

Earth may hardly be seen as a blue and tranquil planet to aliens.
 Post Number: 16
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I caught the rebroadcast last night.  The imagery was fascinating, although most of phenomena it illustrates are not as recently discovered as the narration seemed to imply.
 Post Number: 17
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the most impressive natural science television specials I have watched in my lifetime.  Just touches the surface across a broad swath of satellite based science investigations, many of which might be expanded to full hour specials on their own.  Absolutely incredible how far our satellite driven sciences have moved since the days of my childhood when we all cheered John Glen's flight in a tiny space capsule.  Opens up many new windows on knowledge of the workings of our planet that promises decades further exploration and analysis.

Although the pace of the 2-hour special was fast, I could not help wondering how even more fragile our amazing blue planet is than I already understand and would hope citizens of earth and their leaders across our planet bother to pay notice to that reality by watching important productions like this.   For this person it ranks with the progress done in the related field of astrobiology that was shaken to its foundations with the release of Brownlee and Wards highly recommended book,  Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe, published in 2000.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

Over the last decade I've added almost nothing to a small dusty VCR/CD/DVD collection.  However I just bought the DVD from the PBS "Earth From Space" page, $20 plus $5 tax & shipping.  Am rather interesting in playing back in slow motion numbers of the earth time lapse displays that were shown only briefly.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 18
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was slow... I tuned my TV off and went to bed.  But it is recorded, so I will go back to it.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the breathless opening puffery was getting old (and I'm glad to read it wasn't just me) when I halted the playback: encouraged to hear it get's better.

But I'll keep my finger close to the "mute" button just in case... the graphics are stunning enough so far.
18 replies since Feb. 12 2013, 3:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Earth From Space on NOVA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions