2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Line Graph Program for trip planning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
beantownR6 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Microsoft Excel cant seem to do what i want it to do for trip planning.  Im planning a JMT hike and want to do something like this to plan my trip with a spreadsheet.  Im not an exert in excel but it seems limited.  i can get it to do an x-y axis of mileage over elevaion but can't add other information like this example.

http://mappery.com/map-of/John-Muir-Trail-Elevation-Map

can anyone reccomend a good line chart software?

thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got a warning that this link contains spyware...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 13 2013, 2:42 pm)

the link was fine for me.

it's a nice-looking profile.  One option would be to use a mapping program like Google Earth or Topofusion and mark a series of waypoints for the landmarks of interest along the trail.  Make a route out of them (connect the dots) and make an elevation profile.  It won't be exactly the same as above, but is an option.  Each program will draw the profile differently.  Some will put your landmarks on the profile itself, while others will not.  I have seen both.

I'm not terribly familiar with alternatives to MS Excel.  I know they exist and I know there are some that are WAY more powerful.  This graphic, FWIW, throws off hints of Adobe Illustrator, to be honest.  Maybe it was created in another program, but it may well have been modified in AI.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Link looked good to me, but I know of nothing available to use to create such a thing.  I will be watching this thread to see what others use.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The nice thing about backpacking is that it gets you away from the digitized world for awhile.  Don't get me wrong, I think Google Earth is a great tool for trip planning, but it sounds like you're planning your trip to death.
 Post Number: 6
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 13 2013, 3:42 pm)

Got the same warning

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 13 2013, 4:20 pm)
it sounds like you're planning your trip to death.

...although, sometimes lots of planning is a good way to avoid death (and other things you don't want to happen). I'm a planner myself and have never regretted it, often been thankful for it. Not sure how a graph would help avoid trouble (as opposed to the same info in list form), but the OP is entitled to float his boat the way he wants.

Link works OK for me. It's a dense chart, but everything on there seems within the abilities of Excel. The key is the data -- once you have it, then it is a simple matter for Excel to convert it to a graph. It does get complicated in Excel to start mixing different data to be presented in different ways on the same graph, but maybe a combination of hi-tech and low-tech would work best -- what if you plotted the elevations and then simply hand-wrote daily mileages on a print-out? Or, do the whole thing by hand? While it may be doable in Excel you would have a learning curve and time commitment to get it there, you could just plot the whole thing on graph paper and be done in the time you are still reading Excel tutorials.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made this using a scatter plot and an excel add on called XY chart labeler,  with a little time it could be made much nicer

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 9
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 13 2013, 5:02 pm)
I made this using a scatter plot and an excel add on called XY chart labeler,  with a little time it could be made much nicer

I still haven't been able to get through the link, but this is what I was envisioning could be done with Excel.  It may not be the best program in the world, but you can do a bunch of stuff with its charting feature with a little patience.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im not sure why the link is coming up with spam, but here is the image

chuck i will check out the xy chart labeler.  

i just want to keep it simple and i think excel will work great, just a few things i need to work out like the y axis for elevation is to scale (so to speak) but when it plots the mileage on the x axis it is not relative.  the distance between the nodes is always 1, regardless if its 6 miles between one pont and 10 between the next., or to scale.  and i would like to add points like on chucks example.
 Post Number: 11
davecarb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This chart is the first JMT trip I went on with the creator of this chart - Brian O'Kelly (Losthillsguy).  If you Google him I'm sure you will be able to find his email contact.  I think he is still a member of this forum too.  He might be able to direct you on how he created the chart.

--------------
"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out 'till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~ John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm finally getting it to do what I want, just had to mess around with excel some more.  im using the JMT wilderness press guide.  so far i have input all trail info, mileage, elevations into a spreadsheet and have it to a profile.  takes a little time but worth it for me to help plan for such a big trip

11 replies since Feb. 13 2013, 3:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Line Graph Program for trip planning
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions