2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: alcohol study shows cancer risks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New research published in American Journal of Public Health, shows that even a single alcoholic drink per day can increase your risk of developing certain types of cancer.  One can expect this to be a significant topic going forward in media.  

snippet:

The study found that about 6,000 female breast cancer deaths each year—or 15 percent—could be attributed to alcohol consumption; for men, cancers of the mouth, throat, and esophagus were the most common types of alcohol-related cancer. Alcohol is also linked to cancer of the liver, colon, and rectum.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy....19.html

Note I personally drank quite a bit of beer ages 18 to 22 then only minor alcohol until age 35 and after that only a sip or three a month since.  Also never a smoker.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know people who can't eat a social meal without ingesting alcohol, can't attend a post-hike gathering without ingesting alcohol, and think that every social gathering needs alcohol to be worth going attending.

This report ain't going to change them one bit.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Nagging me about my smoking and drinking is far more hazardous to YOUR health"
-My 75 year old grandmother
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps I am just skeptical of such things, but since so many people ingest alcohol at least a drink or 2 a week, what sort of controls were in place for them to be able to claim alcohol increased the chances of cancer?

Lots of folks ingest alcohol as reasonable adults.  They can be quite responsible about it.  I see no harm in a beer a day, or its equivalent in wine or liquor.  A glass of red wine a day has been said to aid in heart health by other studies.

At the ripe old age of 61, I am not going to be changing behavior much.  Hell I wouldn't do it at 30, so why now?  If I die of the big C, so be it.  I am living my life as I wish, for all it is worth.  I will not be asking others to pay my bills, or even to take me to the hospital.  I will handle it myself, in a manner I see fit at the time.

Have my doubts about a link between cancer and alcohol, unless it is somehow related to kidney failure.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ingesting alcohol doesn't make you smarter, doesn't make you a better lover, doesn't make you wittier, doesn't make you more interesting, doesn't improve your ability to drive, doesn't make you more courageous, and doesn't make you happier.

It does, however, delude you into believing that it does all those things.  And that is why most people who ingest it on a regular basis do so.
 Post Number: 6
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An ounce of alcohol a day will not do any of those things, nor will it make you think it does.  Moderation is the key in many things, including eating, breathing, drinking water, and sleeping.  

I do not abuse alcohol, and do not like it when others abuse it.  Not making excuses for anyone, just saying a little alcohol seems to be just fine for most people.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 15 2013, 4:36 pm)
Ingesting alcohol doesn't make you smarter, doesn't make you a better lover, doesn't make you wittier, doesn't make you more interesting, doesn't improve your ability to drive, doesn't make you more courageous, and doesn't make you happier.

It does, however, delude you into believing that it does all those things.  And that is why most people who ingest it on a regular basis do so.

who peed in your Wheaties?

Why don't you just relax and pour yourself a tall one?  :p
 Post Number: 8
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the prescription drugs that people take every day are far more dangerous.  Check out the published side-effects on the lipitor box and then think about the things aren't telling you . . .

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 9
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dude,i drive better when i'm drunk. :cool:
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, eventually life itself is a terminal condition.   From the 70's to the 80's, organ systems shut down and if operated on, most won't be the same anyways.  I hope no one is waiting that long to whoop it up...

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read the abstract in the American Journal of Public Health and the methodology is one that is widely accepted.  The connection between alcohol and cancer is nothing new.  I saw plenty of alcohol related cancers when I was working in oncology.  The most deadly combination was heavy drinking and smoking. The databases used in this analysis are powerful and should have been able to detect small effects.  That being said there are also numerous studies that show a cardiovascular benefit by drinking in moderation.  

So drinking in moderation has both beneficial and negative effects.  Drinking in excess has no beneficial effects except maybein the eyes of the drunk.  Excess drinking is linked to a number of bad health outcomes along with all the social problems.  I do enjoy my alcohol but have long time ago stopped the heavy drinking that I did decades ago.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:28 pm)

Good humor is not ice cream...

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 16 2013, 12:44 am)

(solowalker @ Feb. 15 2013, 9:28 pm)

Good humor is not ice cream...

I'm lactose intolerant.  Ice cream will do more damage than alcohol.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Feb. 15 2013, 6:36 pm)

Who are you hanging out with that is telling you that it does all of those things?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 15
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really. Maybe some of these academics and others just need to spend a weekend at PG or HOTB.  They could see the benefits of alcohol consumption firsthand.  Much laughter, and good friends can be witnessed at either of those venues.  

--------------

Post Number: 16
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've long wondered if there is a genetic factor that somehow predisposes a person to enjoy an alcoholic "buzz." If so, evidently I lack the effective trigger. It's probably been around two decades since I've had so much as a single beer. The biggest reason is that every time I drank even a little I was left saying to myself, "I don't see what people get out of this stuff." It was like smoking oregano and telling myself it was pot. Blech.

But experience and memories factor in also. When I was much younger, I saw too many occasions in which drinking was just the preliminary to a fist fight or two. It seemed that on every occasion when people drank together, one or two people left with a bloodied face. Anarchy ruled.

Cancer seems to be a risk we all take.  I'm probably due for skin cancer for turning brown every summer. And I wonder how my great-grandfather lived to be 98 while smoking a cigar everyday.

I don't see any infallible rule that says a person can risk a broken neck turning flips on the ski slope but someone else cannot risk cancer by having a drink now and then. Choose your adventure. It's just that neither of those appeal to me — for one reason or another.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 17
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Feb. 16 2013, 12:10 pm)

Who are you hanging out with that is telling you that it does all of those things?

I'm pretty sure it improves the courageousness and happiness factors, and it certainly makes for interesting sex.

But that's just the tequila talking.
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll drink to that...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Feb. 17 2013, 12:01 am)

I'm pretty sure it improves the courageousness and happiness factors, and it certainly makes for interesting sex.

Maybe he's doing it wrong.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yet another reason to find a cure for cancer.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard a comedian say:

"People are always complaining about the deaths caused by alcohol....but they forget aout the lives created by alcohol as well...."
 Post Number: 22
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:44 pm)
That being said there are also numerous studies that show a cardiovascular benefit by drinking in moderation.  

There is a very important part of sex that relies on a healthy cardiovascular system.  :;):
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Feb. 17 2013, 12:05 pm)

(Roger @ Feb. 15 2013, 7:44 pm)
That being said there are also numerous studies that show a cardiovascular benefit by drinking in moderation.  

There is a very important part of sex that relies on a healthy cardiovascular system.  :;):

All of it depends on it, if you're doing it right.  :cool:
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 17 2013, 9:21 am)

Maybe he's doing it wrong.

No one can screw up alcohol consumption that badly.

It's helpful that way.
 Post Number: 25
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 16 2013, 9:15 am)
Really. Maybe some of these academics and others just need to spend a weekend at PG or HOTB.  They could see the benefits of alcohol consumption firsthand.  Much laughter, and good friends can be witnessed at either of those venues.  

I'll stick with the moderation camp.  But I have to say, Zeke. . . I had a great time at PG last fall.  And I had one drink over the course of the entire weekend (the altitude gave me a heck of a headache and I didn't want to make it worse).

I'm not much of a drinker anyway.  Travis may be onto something (gods, did I actually agree with Travis??  :O   ).  Though I've always blamed it on being a control freak, not genetics.  It may amount to the same thing.  

I've known for quite a while about the study linking even moderate drinking to an increased risk of breast cancer, and to a decreased risk of heart issues.  Study your family history and see if either one actually matters.  In my case, there's no particular risk of either, so I'll have a drink if I want.  But I won't get drunk, which has a whole set of other  risks, including that of spending the night searching for your tent ;)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This study couldn't have come at a worst time. I've decided to give up sobriety for Lent.
 Post Number: 27
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 17 2013, 4:12 pm)
. . . Travis may be onto something (gods, did I actually agree with Travis??  :O . . .

Cool. I'm lucky to even agree with myself some days.

But I recall agreeing with you quite often. Especially now. :)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
26 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 5:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply alcohol study shows cancer risks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions