2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How to find a cheap rental car?, Secrets?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 7:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a rental for July.
I'm in need of a mini van that will hold at least 7 people.
Anyone know any great tips for finding a great rate?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where?  I search for smaller rental companies, like some car dealers who operate a rental agency as part of their business, or Payless Car Rental if in a major airport like Vegas.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." áSteve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try not to rent at airports, a lot of times you can find a cheaper rate at a location a few miles away

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 17 2013, 5:01 pm)
Try not to rent at airports, a lot of times you can find a cheaper rate at a location a few miles away

Absolutely this. Some airport fees and taxes will add a third more to your final bill.
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In a lot of cities, you pay the airport taxes even if you rent somewhere else.  The trick is not telling then you flew in.
 Post Number: 6
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep checking - don't assume that the rate you can get now will be the best rate you can get between now & then.

I always rent at the airport because it's the most convenient, but I shop around a lot for the best rate.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 7
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Use a site like Priceline or Hotwire and use the name your price feature.  If you start early they'll tell you the chance of renting is 2%. don't worry, you'll get whatever price you submit as long as it's not totally absurd. You'll also end up renting from a major national chain like Avis or Hertz. The only time car rental companies sell out is at the Superbowl, Presidential Inauguration, etc.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 8
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, try for the best rate both with any memberships you have and without.  A professional organization I'm a member of has "special rates" that are almost always higher than renting without mentioning them.  AAA may or may not make a difference.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 9
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My auto insurance provider (All-State) sends coupons about twice a year with my renewal materials - they usually include a pretty good discount rate plus a coupon offer (free day, 1 class upgrade, etc) - check with your auto insurance company if they do the same.

I'm one of those people who sticks with the well known brands for things like flights and rental cars.  I almost always rent from Alamo.  Less hassle and no shady charges to dispute when you get home.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 10
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try contacting a used car dealer in the area you're going to. Sometimes they have vehicles they'll rent out rather than have them just sit on the lot.

Last time I visited family in Ohio, that's what I did. Make sure your insurance will cover it.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our group flew into Salt Lake the last 2 trips, and we rented off the airport at a place called Rugged Rentals.  The airport fees were the main difference, and were dramatic, well over $100 for a week's rental.  At least check, but you are giving up the convenience of walking to the rental area, but we didn't think it was that bad.
10 replies since Feb. 17 2013, 7:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How to find a cheap rental car?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions