2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Back home!, Survived our road trip to Colorado!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was a rough trip in some respects... because the baby cut his first tooth and also starting day 3 of the trip he started to have a stuffy nose with coughing - and the worse was the coughing would sometimes lead to him throwing up :(  Then I started getting it on day 4 :p   But we took it easy, stayed in hotels, and took some side trips on the way home :)

Highlights:

- The reason for the trip was going to Colorado Springs for Todd's Grandmother's 100th birthday!  So the baby got to meet his Great-Grandmother, and pretty much that whole side of the family.  4- and 5- generation photos were taken :)

- Got to meet famous forum members Mtngrl and Bill Speers, as well as meet up with Woodswoman again :)  We had a nice brunch last Sunday.

- Visited 3 National Parks I haven't been to yet - Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains, and Saguaro.  Loved all three!  Also visited White Sands National Monument which was also a first time visit.

- Visited 1 National Forest I haven't been to yet - Lincoln - also stopped by Smokey Bear State Park, where he is buried.  Also really enjoyed the old picturesque Lincoln Cemetary.

- Visited the Three River Petroglyph Site in NM - the face petroglyphs were especially cool.  

- Visited Tombstone, Arizona - that was a lot of fun!  The baby loved all the people dressed up and horses and wagons.

- Visited the Blythe intaglios - very unique.

- Stayed a couple of nights in Roswell, NM and went to the UFO museum - the truth is out there...

- Took the baby swimming in a big pool for the first time - actually swam in a couple of nice indoor heated pools at the hotels we stayed at.

- Experienced 5 earthquakes in a very short period of time while visiting the inlaws in Cedar City, UT

- Missed our exit once, but visited a neat Mormon Fort that we wouldn't have known was there otherwise, lol

- Broke in our new vehicle - the week before we left we traded in the Jeep Compass for a Honda Pilot, so we actually have room for the baby gear and our stuff now!  

I'll be going through my pics the next few days, as well as cleaning the house!  Expecting a bunch of family and friends on Saturday for Little T's first birthday party!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow--sounds like a lot of driving (look who's talking :p ) and a lot of cool places.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 3
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, a lot of driving, but we broke it up, and tried to time it during baby's naps and after his bedtime a few times.  

Wednesday evening we left for Cedar City, UT (baby slept the whole way!)
Thursday we drove to Green River, UT, after sleeping in and having lunch with the inlaws
Friday we drove to Colorado Springs, CO
Saturday and Sunday no driving, except around town
Monday drove to Roswell, NM
Tuesday drove to Carlsbad Caverns, stayed in White's City
Wednesday drove to Guadalupe Mountains, then back to Roswell
Thursday drove to Smokey Bear Park, then Three Rivers, stayed in Alamagordo
Friday drove to White Sands, had dinner in Las Cruces, and then drove to Benson, AZ after bed time
Saturday drove to Tombstone, then to Saguaro, then to Casa Grande after bed time
Sunday drove home - only stopped for gas and then small side trip to see Blythe intaglios.  Made it home before dark :)

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tarol, it was great seeing you again, and meeting the two Todds. Brunch was fun!

I'm glad you all made it back home safe and sound. You sure covered a lot of ground and saw a lot. I assume pics will be posted soon? ???

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a good trip.

Gotta get the kids used to road trips early on, IMO.
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Feb. 18 2013, 8:41 am)
Sounds like a good trip.

Gotta get the kids used to road trips early on, IMO.

That was our approach!  And I was forgetting that Tarol is pretty much a full day's drive closer to Utah than we are.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Feb. 18 2013, 11:34 am)
tarol, it was great seeing you again, and meeting the two Todds. Brunch was fun!

I'm glad you all made it back home safe and sound. You sure covered a lot of ground and saw a lot. I assume pics will be posted soon? ???

Of course!

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All the pics are here :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarol/sets/72157632801920071/

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pics from the Birthday party

Roswell

The Mormon Fort

Swimming in a big pool for the first time

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Carlsbad Caverns...  We "only" hiked around the "big" room, which was a mile hike.  

Humongous stalagmites - 6 stories tall

The way to the bathrooms

Underground restaurant

Elevators

Up top again

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guadalupe Mountains NP

Lincoln Cemetery

Smokey Bear Historical Park

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three Rivers Petroglyph Site

--------------
 Post Number: 13
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, that kid is one well-traveld kid even before his first birthday.  You guys are great parents, and it was such fun meeting you all.  Let us know next time you are in this area.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 14
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was fun, only wish the weather was warmer and the kid felt better and we could've gone on a hike with y'all :)

Continuing, here are some photos from White Sands NM

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the last part of the trip - Tombstone and Saguaro NP

--------------
14 replies since Feb. 17 2013, 10:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Back home!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions