2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mississippi Ratifies 13th amendment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Echo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:08 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://news.yahoo.com/thanks-....25.html

Thanks to the Movie LINCOLN

Thanks to 'Lincoln,' Mississippi Has Finally Definitely Ratified the Thirteenth Amendment
By Adam Clark Estes

"A middle-aged recent immigrant from India recently set into motion a series of events that eventually led to Mississippi finally ratifying the Constitutional amendment banning slavery. The rousing finale of the movie Lincoln served as inspiration. It sounds like a joke, but it's true. And even though it's been nearly 150 years since that fateful day in the Capitol in 1864, Mississippi's becoming the final state to officially ratify the Thirteenth Amendment serves as the final punctuation mark on a dark chapter in American history.

The circumstances for Dr. Ranjan Batra almost inadvertently inserting himself into Mississippi state history are accidental at best. After seeing Lincoln in theaters last November, he went home and did a little bit of Internet research only to discover the Mississippi never got around to actually ratifying the amendement. The state did vote to ratify the amendment back in 1995, nearly 20 years after Kentucky, the second-to-last state to ratify the amendment, held its vote. However, through an apparent clerical error, Mississippi never officially notified the United States Archivist of the ratification, meaning that they've officially been on the side of slavery for a century-and-a-half. (That sounds kind of sensational when you put it like that, but heck, you'd think the state would double check on an issue as big as this.) Batra and his friend Ken Sullivan reported the mistake up the chain of command, and this month, Mississippi finally sent in the paperwork to complete its belated ratification of the Thirteen Amendment."

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A clerical error, eh?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 18 2013, 11:21 am)
A clerical error, eh?

You mean like when they accidentally raised the Confederate flag over the Mississippi Supreme Court building last week?
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I don't think I'll be visiting that state anytime soon.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Took a Greyhound bus ride from New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale once, with a lunch stop somewhere in Mississippi.  Friendly people there.  I am sure they tolerate slavery as little as any other state this day and age, but still good to know they have officially ratified the amendment.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately slavery still exists in every state in this day and age

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:22 pm)
Took a Greyhound bus ride from New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale once, with a lunch stop somewhere in Mississippi.  Friendly people there.  I am sure they tolerate slavery as little as any other state this day and age, but still good to know they have officially ratified the amendment.

The ratification of the 13th amendment 135 years after slavery was outlawed is, by and large, symbolic, but it is very historically important.  The fact that there was a 'clerical error' which essentially filibustered the the official ratification in 1995, is also fairly symbolic and not in a flattering way.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Feb. 18 2013, 11:35 am)
Unfortunately slavery still exists in every state in this day and age

Agree.  That's why I wrote Mississippi tolerates slavery "as little as any other state".   Versus 'no' slavery.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 18 2013, 11:55 am)

(Ben2World @ Feb. 18 2013, 2:22 pm)

The ratification of the 13th amendment 135 years after slavery was outlawed is, by and large, symbolic, but it is very historically important.  The fact that there was a 'clerical error' which essentially filibustered the the official ratification in 1995, is also fairly symbolic and not in a flattering way.

Actually, 148 years.  But I question whether the 1995 'clerical error' delay is anything "pro slavery" at all -- or  simply an "anti federal" stance taken?  So, in terms of ridding or preserving slavery per se, it's not much of a symbolism either way.

To me, the question that matters is whether informal slavery is more pervasive in Mississippi than other states?  I haven't read anything to indicate so.  Heck, in my own 'progressive' California -- we likely still have migrant garment workers and strawberry pickers toiling in quite suboptimal conditions...

--------------
8 replies since Feb. 18 2013, 11:08 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mississippi Ratifies 13th amendment
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions