2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: August 21, 2017< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 7:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As noted in my current day hike pic thread, am reading "Voyage To The Stars and Galaxies", a 2006 college textbook originally $97, that I recently bought used on Amazon for just $8.68.  Well am about 100 pages into the 600 page textbook and came upon a link giving me a heads up to the biggest astronomical event in the USA for deacdes now just 4 years away now.  Yep the August 21, 2017 total eclipse that will rip a line of totality across our whole country.  Something today I am now an enthusiast for.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observi....65.html

Four years from now many of us are going to be trying to figure out the most awesome place to experience this which for this guy is likely to be high in the mountains.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One day before my 40th birthday... Might have to check that out.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never seen a solar eclipse.  I am definitely looking forward to this one.  Wonder how wide is the band for "total" eclipse?  My brother lives in Seattle -- will that be close enough??

From OP's link above:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been looking forward to this one for the last 15 years or so...

Pray for clear skies
 Post Number: 5
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To see it in totality, you will have to be inside that blue line, so Seattle isn't close enough.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 6
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger country.

The blue line of max totality goes right over the scenic lookout at the spectacular otherworldly Painted Hills section of John Day Fossil National Monument in Oregon.  

http://johndayfossilbeds.areaparks.com/parkinfo.html?pid=15985

610 miles 10.8 hours driving on Mapquest.   Have been interested in visiting that area so just ordered the Southern Blues map on this site for $8.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail....5289442

Actually employer dictating I must take 5 days of PTO off by end of next month and skiing or California wildflowers are thus far due droughty conditions not looking interesting so may just go up there next month for a survey and some landscape work.   Maybe even get a day of skiing in at Bachelor?  At 2000 feet elevation the region is semi arid with only 11 inches annual precipitation but likely is green in March.  Also a strong bet to also be cloud free area in August 2017.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

August is typically clear, blue skies, no clouds in sight.  I live under that blue band.  I saw a total solar eclipse while I was working in Hawaii in the '90s.  Hopefully, I will still be around for this one.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like that blue line is fairly close to me also.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 9
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 10
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(starwalker @ Feb. 18 2013, 6:48 pm)
To see it in totality, you will have to be inside that blue line, so Seattle isn't close enough.

I see.  Will have to drive out a bit then.  But still good.   :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 11
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last total eclipse in Oregon was in 1979 - I was in first grade.  We made little viewers out of cardboard boxes.

I'll never forget my teacher saying "see you again in 38 years!!", referring to the next time it would happen.  

I should look her up, see if she's good on her promise.   :)
10 replies since Feb. 18 2013, 7:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply August 21, 2017
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions