2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Man Slaps Baby Crying on the Plane< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who here hasn't been on a plane with crying babies?  Yes, annoying as heck.  But regardless... it's absolutely bewildering that any adult stranger would curse and slap a 19-month  old baby sitting next to him!   The man lost his job and worse, faces possible criminal prosecution -- not to mention the wrath of the baby's mother.  Read more here.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 2:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes me want to slap a man...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Slapping the parent(s) would have been more effective.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the article cited in the OP:  'Hundley's attorney, Marcia Shein, said her client is being unfairly portrayed.

"This has escalated into a racist issue and I want to be clear he is not a racist," Shein said.'

What?  It's alright to slap a 19month old who is not your own as long as you're not a racist?  That man has issues well beyond some obvious anger management ones.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Feb. 19 2013, 7:08 am)

Agreed.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 6
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(2PawsRiver @ Feb. 19 2013, 8:36 am)

Agreed.

Okay, someone clue me in as to what either the parent or child did in this instance that would warrant a slap because I am obviously missing it...  We've probably all been on flights with crying infants and toddlers before and yes, when the cabin pressure changes, they tend to get really fussy.  But it seems to me that in this situation neither the mother nor the child did anything wrong.  Or am I missing something?  Just why would anyone slap the parent(s)?

--------------

Post Number: 7
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can you imagine the scene if I had been the mother of that child?
The air marshals leading me away in cuffs and the man being taken away in a body bag.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 8
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Feb. 19 2013, 6:46 am)

Agreed.

Okay, someone clue me in as to what either the parent or child did in this instance that would warrant a slap because I am obviously missing it...  We've probably all been on flights with crying infants and toddlers before and yes, when the cabin pressure changes, they tend to get really fussy.  But it seems to me that in this situation neither the mother nor the child did anything wrong.  Or am I missing something?  Just why would anyone slap the parent(s)?

You're not missing anything... it was a stupid comment.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Feb. 19 2013, 9:16 am)
The air marshals leading me away in cuffs and the man being taken away in a body bag.

Pretty much what I was thinking...  If anyone lays a hand on one of my children in that manner I'm going to jail and someone else is going to the hospital if they're lucky...

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Justifiable homicide.

edited to add:
I was one of those moms who seldom took my kids to the grocery store or out to town where they were liable to raise hell like that.  I am not a fan of squalling kids anymore than the next person.
but because I know how it is... I tried not to put my kids in situations where the deck was stacked in favor of such an outburst.

The one time my daughter did me that way in K-Mart many moons ago.... I picked her up, left the buggy sitting there with stuff in it... and headed back home.

There was not one thing in that store I wanted enough to listen to that.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 19 2013, 9:19 am)

Agreed.

Agreed...  I just had to ask.  What would possibly cross someone's mind to think it was an appropriate comment?

--------------

Post Number: 12
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always thought of myself as calm and peaceful until my boys and I were at the last day that the free Willie orca, Keiko, was in Newport Oregon. My 3 year old was walking by the glass, staring at the whale and a press photographer dropped a roll of film under my son. He came up from a crouch with both palms on my sons chest and knocked him backwards. Then turned to me as I suddenly became a murderous Mama Bear and tried to say one of his pictures might be worth a million dollars. Fortunately my boy was ok and a security guard grabbed me and threw out the photographer. But yeah, touching a child in violence with Mom around has a very similar effect to Dr Jekyll's potion

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

three words

noise

canceling

headphones
 Post Number: 14
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But the way the media is showing it, he's an old white haired white man,  sitting next to a blond with a baby who looks part African/American. He is drunk and racist and probably fuming before the baby makes a peep. Then it cries and he tells her to shut up the "N----- baby" and when she says, "what did you say?" he falls on her face and growls it with his mouth in her ear

Not saying it happened that way, but that is the angle on the news reports I've seen.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 15
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Feb. 19 2013, 9:16 am)

Rawwwrrrr. Liking this angry mm!
 Post Number: 16
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If there was an A-hole of the Year award, I think this guy might just win.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hahaha!@ tarpon6.  Yep.  

Mossy, as I have gotten older I am more peaceful.  Wisdom has shown me that I don't like to go to that angry place.  I avoid it like the plague. It makes me feel SO drained to become that enraged.  The aftermath is seldom if ever worth it.
But physically harming one of my kids esp. combined with racist remarks would be enough to bring it out.  I'd be seeing the red balloon of rage before my eyes and not much else.

BTW-- my sister is a big gal.  She is very athletic.  She had a beligerent old sot curse her while picking her children up from school. He was too drunk to drive so he could not muster the skill to maneuver past her vehicle where she was parked.  Plenty of room to pass.

He dropped the effing B word on her.
She turned off her car. Got out and asked him what he said??  He ran away like a scalded dog.

Easy to talk tough from behind the wheel. Not as easy with her in yo face, eh? ;^D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Feb. 19 2013, 7:50 am)
But the way the media is showing it, he's an old white haired white man,  sitting next to a blond with a baby who looks part African/American. He is drunk and racist and probably fuming before the baby makes a peep. Then it cries and he tells her to shut up the "N----- baby" and when she says, "what did you say?" he falls on her face and growls it with his mouth in her ear

Not saying it happened that way, but that is the angle on the news reports I've seen.

That's quite a bit of speculation.

I don't always believe everything I hear on the news.
 Post Number: 19
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man Slaps Baby, Crying over Lost Job.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/travel/crying-boy-assault

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Feb. 19 2013, 10:06 am)

Oh, it's very early in the year...  I'm sure by the time December rolls around he won't even be in the top ten!  But as of right now, I think he'd qualify as one of the front runners.

--------------

Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh hell no.  Add alcohol into the mix and racial slurs and physical violence against a baby and I'd be in full battle fury.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My view... the man was drunk -- which, of course, was his own doing.  Having said that, flying off the handle like that and slapping a child made him a Class A drunken a-hole -- but not necessarily a racist.

Something like that, assuming a first offense, a reasonable fine plus mandatory anger management and a week's worth of community service should suffice.  I don't see the necessity of a jail sentence.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 23
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dunno.  Calling the baby the "N" word kinda puts him in the racist corner.

If it talks like a racist...

He clearly needs a time out and an attitude realignment.  Jail would work.
 Post Number: 24
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being alcohol impaired does not excuse any of his actions.  He was not forced to drink to what appears to be in excess.  Anyone who uses the N word in such a context to me is a raciest.   I would not be happy with a screaming child beside me on a plane but not only would I not act out but using the N word would never enter my mind.  Any why do we only use N**** instead of the word?  Yes nigger is a word I do not like to hear in the context it is used today but over the years I have heard it a lot, especially in the 60’s, when I lived in south Georgia and north Florida.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 25
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Feb. 19 2013, 1:17 pm)
Being alcohol impaired does not excuse any of his actions.  He was not forced to drink to what appears to be in excess.  Anyone who uses the N word in such a context to me is a raciest.   I would not be happy with a screaming child beside me on a plane but not only would I not act out but using the N word would never enter my mind.  Any why do we only use N**** instead of the word?  Yes nigger is a word I do not like to hear in the context it is used today but over the years I have heard it a lot, especially in the 60’s, when I lived in south Georgia and north Florida.

We're working very hard at making those labels nonexistant, as ignorant mindsets that need purging from society.

My children are being raised not to acknowledge that they ever existed.  I consider this a positive.
 Post Number: 26
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

N, F, GD.  All of them convey the word we are thinking, and to my mind are no better than saying the word itself.  To hear people, that think it is too crude to speak the words, saying things like friggin', or "the F word" just boggles my mind.  What?  Do they think we do not translate that in our minds?  Would be better if they just omitted the expletive altogether.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 27
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always thought that serving alcohol before and during a flight - during which people are seated elbow-to-elbow in a glorified Pringles can - is asking for trouble.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Feb. 19 2013, 7:19 am)

(tarpon6 @ Feb. 19 2013, 10:06 am)

Oh, it's very early in the year...  I'm sure by the time December rolls around he won't even be in the top ten!  .

Sadly, you may well be right.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Feb. 19 2013, 9:19 am)

Agreed.

Indeed, but I laughed anyway :)

--------------
 Post Number: 30
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 19 2013, 10:18 am)
Man Slaps Baby, Crying over Lost Job.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/travel/crying-boy-assault

Nice.  That's the kind of headline you would expect from The Onion!

--------------
40 replies since Feb. 19 2013, 1:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Man Slaps Baby Crying on the Plane
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions