2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Enough already... I subscribe!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
csmart01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How can you browse this site and not be bombarded by a popup to subscribe? I have been a longtime subscriber but never use this site because… well, to be frank, it is terrible. It is so busy with ads and popups you can’t really enjoy it. Every article is broken up into many pages and every 3rd time you “next page” you get the “Subscribe now” popup. There are ads that spawn just by mousing over them… really? Is this 1998? Am I the only one who shares this frustration or am I doing something wrong with my login settings?

Thanks

Charlie H

--------------
Charlie
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One word:  Adblock.  Install this -- and no more pop up's or annoying ads.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Without Adblock:

With Adblock:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 21 2013, 12:59 pm)
One word:  Adblock.  Install this -- and no more pop up's or annoying ads.  :cool:

+1

Available with both Chrome and Firefox.

I also recommend adding "Do not track" from Abine as well (also free).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It doesn't bother me. I click on it and continue.

It's a free site. Somebody's gotta pay the bills.

Welcome, by the way.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Small inconvenience. But threads complaining about the popup are indeed annoying.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It must be effective, or they wouldn't keep using it...

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a magazine?
 Post Number: 9
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Feb. 21 2013, 6:12 pm)
There's a magazine?

There's a magazine!? Lets limit it to 10-rounds. High capacity magazines scare me...

???
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be nine rounds of ad and one of content.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Feb. 21 2013, 4:14 pm)
It doesn't bother me. I click on it and continue.

It's a free site. Somebody's gotta pay the bills.

Welcome, by the way.

Ditto. I have ad block but I have it disabled on this site. This site has introduced me to some of my best friends and schooled me on my favorite activity. The least I can do is click a link every now and then.   :)

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A subscription isn't enough.  You have to eat brussels sprouts while wearing a kilt and sitting on a cold wet cotton sleeping bag.

Howdy.
 Post Number: 13
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do wish there was a way that subscribers to the magazine could be identified so that they don't get pop-ups asking to subscribe to the magazine. I don't get banner ads here but I do get a "pop-over" pretty regularly that blocks the page I want to see, wanting me to sign up to subscribe (which I already do).

Why annoy your core constituents if you don't have to?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 21 2013, 7:04 pm)
I do wish there was a way that subscribers to the magazine could be identified so that they don't get pop-ups asking to subscribe to the magazine. I don't get banner ads here but I do get a "pop-over" pretty regularly that blocks the page I want to see, wanting me to sign up to subscribe (which I already do).

They are identified by the adblock extension that is installed...

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Feb. 21 2013, 8:31 pm)
You have to eat brussels sprouts while wearing a kilt and sitting on a cold wet cotton sleeping bag.

Howdy.

Be carefull, you're getting really close to one of RanD's long time fantasies.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 16
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:35 am)

You have to eat brussels sprouts while wearing a kilt and sitting on a cold wet cotton sleeping bag.

Howdy.

He's already marked that one off. Don't ask me how I know...
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 21 2013, 10:08 pm)

AdBlock is on, the "subscribe now" pop-over still shows. I called BPMag and asked how I as a subscriber could avoid this, they had no answer.

If there's a setting I should turn change I'd appreciate any guidance...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 18
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 22 2013, 6:10 am)

(Tigger @ Feb. 21 2013, 10:08 pm)

AdBlock is on, the "subscribe now" pop-over still shows. I called BPMag and asked how I as a subscriber could avoid this, they had no answer.

If there's a setting I should turn change I'd appreciate any guidance...

When it pops up, right click on it and you will see the adblock menu down near the bottom. Use the adblock feature slider till it disappears. You may have to do the same thing on the gray overlay also.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First world problem

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Feb. 22 2013, 10:25 am)
When it pops up, right click on it and you will see the adblock menu down near the bottom. Use the adblock feature slider till it disappears. You may have to do the same thing on the gray overlay also.

Well I didn't get a "slider", but I did right-click the pop-over which gave me the ability to add a filter. The pop-over appears randomly, so I'll just have to surf this site for a while to see if I notice it's not happening anymore.

Thanks for the tip!

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shrug: one click on the "X" and it's gone for the session [SAFARI]

Life's too short.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:48 am)

(Tigger @ Feb. 22 2013, 10:25 am)

Well I didn't get a "slider", but I did right-click the pop-over which gave me the ability to add a filter. The pop-over appears randomly, so I'll just have to surf this site for a while to see if I notice it's not happening anymore.

Thanks for the tip!

That's the great thing about adblock.  It's eminently customizable.  Don't like an ad or pop up?  Roll the mouse over, right click, and block.

One suggestion -- as your block list grows -- do a copy and paste onto an Excel spreadsheet or word file.  In case of mishap, all you need to do is paste the entire list back to Adblock -- rather than clicking all over again from scratch.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
csmart01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the adblock suggestion, thanks everyone.

Now I can participate in peace :)  To say "it's no big deal" is just outside my scope of reason. To keep asking me the same question to do something that I already do is just silly.

--------------
Charlie
 Post Number: 24
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all due respect I like the fact this forum is free. If you wanted to pay for software or whatever was necessary to recognize subscribers that would be one thing, but trying to have income for a business is far from silly, it is SMART.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 23 2013, 9:03 am)
With all due respect I like the fact this forum is free. If you wanted to pay for software or whatever was necessary to recognize subscribers that would be one thing, but trying to have income for a business is far from silly, it is SMART.

Do you lecture family members when they complain about TV commercials?   As well, do you never use the fast forward button or change channels when commercials pop up?  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(csmart01 @ Feb. 23 2013, 6:45 am)
I like the adblock suggestion, thanks everyone.

Now I can participate in peace :)  To say "it's no big deal" is just outside my scope of reason. To keep asking me the same question to do something that I already do is just silly.

Amen.  And not just this website but all others too.   :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:38 am)

(Chuck D @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:35 am)

Howdy.

He's already marked that one off. Don't ask me how I know...

:D

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 22 2013, 11:53 am)
Shrug: one click on the "X" and it's gone for the session [SAFARI]

Life's too short.

Different things irritate different people and different things irritate me but clicking on that X isn't one of them.

BTW: I've been a subscriber since Fred Flintstone was a baby.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 22 2013, 12:08 pm)
One suggestion -- as your block list grows -- do a copy and paste onto an Excel spreadsheet or word file.  In case of mishap, all you need to do is paste the entire list back to Adblock -- rather than clicking all over again from scratch.

Wow. I had no idea there was someone as anal as me.   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Feb. 23 2013, 2:47 pm)
Wow. I had no idea there was someone as anal as me.   :D

No, the rest of us wash our linens when they need to be washed.   :p

But other stuff, yeah, I can be meticulous.   :D

--------------
35 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 3:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Enough already... I subscribe!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions