2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A love letter to all my forum friends, Goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jondorn Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dear 4wheelbob, High Sierra, mtngrl, dicentra, GoBlue, desert dweller, Lame Beaver, RumiDude, and everyone else I’ve corresponded with here on the forums or in private,

The March issue of Backpacker was my last as editor-in-chief. I’ve happily and voluntarily handed over the reins to Dennis Lewon, who many of you will recognize from his stories in the magazine and his years as our gear editor and executive editor. He’s a terrific human being, a smart editor, and an absolute dyed-in-the-merino backpacker. The mag couldn’t be in better hands.

My decade at the top of the masthead (and five years before that as a gear editor) were a dream assignment. I might be insane to leave a sweet gig like Backpacker, but I’ve been promoted within our company to a new position as editorial director over all of our outdoor titles (BP, plus Climbing, Yellowstone Journal, Yosemite Journal, Grand Canyon Journal, Rocky Mountain Journal, and several B2B pubs) and our home magazines (Log Home Living, Timber Home Living, Country’s Best Cabins, Old House Journal, etc.). I’ll still be involved in Backpacker, but there will be a new guy to blame  ???

I’d like to heartily thank all of you for responding whenever I asked for your insights, voting when I ran a survey, volunteering when I talked about trail charities, and critiquing the mag when you had a bone to pick. I’d like to thank BP2GO for his tireless, selfless dedication to a job that is often thankless. I’d like to thank those of you who I had the good fortune to hike with over the years, whether it was Glen Canyon, a gear-testing trip, the “incident on Mt. Hood” (you know who you are), or a National Trails Day event. And yes, I’d like to thank the posse from Pickle Gulch who thong’d me – one of the great honors of my life!

But most of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for getting out on the trail so damn much. I haven’t been a frequent poster, but I have been watching closely – and your passion for backpacking, and for sharing it with others, has been a true inspiration. It’s made me get out more, and it’s made me work my ass off trying to produce the best possible magazine. As a group, you are amazing representatives of the sport we love so much.

In closing, if I could ask for one more thing, one parting gift, it’s that you consider supporting Big City Mountaineers, the other great love of my life. It’s a nonprofit that provides wilderness mentoring to at-risk youth, and over the last decade as a volunteer on the teen backpacking trips I’ve seen the transformative impact first-hand. I’m raising money one last time for BCM. If you’re so inclined, check out my video and my donation page. Every gift gets more teens of color out of the inner-city and onto the trail.

Thanks a hundred times over. It’s been a great adventure. See ya out there in the woods!

Jon
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all that you've done and all that you will do.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It shall be different to say the least....something tells me you get to stay in CO though? :-) Good luck!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's to your next adventure!

Have fun.

John
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Sarbar! Yep, still in Colorado. Luckiest man on the planet. Did a great night hike with my big Bernese mountain dog just now up in the Flatirons in five inches of fresh snow. Magical...
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jon, I've long been impressed at your staying power compared to editors at some of my other favorite magazines.  It's not a job I'd tackle for any reasonable amount of money.

Enjoy your new role!
 Post Number: 7
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've done a great job at guiding Backpacker into a first class magazine over your tenure, Jon.  Best of luck to you as a Chief Mucky-Muck! :p  (Maybe this means that you can get out even more now??)

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enjoyed your tenure.  Congratulations and wishing nothing but success for you in the future.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well Done! Live long and Prosper!
 Post Number: 10
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right~freakin~on!  Wow, does this mean you can do more mooning over Denali?  Don't think I will ever forget that one.  heh heh heh

Anyway, congrats to you for the new job.  You deserve it.  And thanks for a great ride with you on this site and with Backpacker magazine.  The best to you and your family.

Rumi

PS: If you find yourself coming to the Olympic Peninsula, you better give me a shoutout so we can at least have a coffee together.  You can bunk at our place if you need a place to stay.

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 11
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations, and all the best forward.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for everything Jon and congrats on the promotion!

Drop by and say Hi once in a while.
 Post Number: 14
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck, Jon. I've always thought I'd like to hike with you. The best thing about the magazine is that it's run by real backpackers.
 Post Number: 15
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the hard work, Jon. Good luck with the new assignment.

Keep your feet moving and always seek higher ground.

All the best.

dd

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 16
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best wishes to you in your new adventure.

Mtngrl will be so proud that you mentioned being thonged.  I will never forget the look on your face as you found that prize!  

You know where we will be in Sept, come see us again.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hehehe, moon over Denali. Yeah, that was young and dumb. Almost got fired for that one!

At least when I'm out hiking I can be young and dumb again, and not worry about the repercussions of a newspaper headline like, "Backpacker editor arrested for booby-trapping illegal ORVers camp with poison ivy."
 Post Number: 18
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jondorn @ Feb. 21 2013, 8:58 pm)
In closing, if I could ask for one more thing, one parting gift, it’s that you consider supporting Big City Mountaineers, the other great love of my life. It’s a nonprofit that provides wilderness mentoring to at-risk youth, and over the last decade as a volunteer on the teen backpacking trips I’ve seen the transformative impact first-hand. I’m raising money one last time for BCM. If you’re so inclined, check out my video and my donation page. Every gift gets more teens of color out of the inner-city and onto the trail.

Spam
:;):

Good luck Jon.  
I was a real honor to meet you and your your lovely family at PG.
Take only photos, leave only footprints

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 19
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I have a tear in my eye. It's like when the baby eagle leaves the nest. Or something.

Congrats on that promotion, Jon!  

And good to hear you get to stay in the area! For anyone who has ever lived here, moving away is a very hard thing to do. You'd have to be touched in the head.

Good luck to you with your future endeavors and hopefully we'll see you around!
 Post Number: 20
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations!

This is the best internet forum I've ever frequented. I have some unpopular, admittedly biased,  opinions, and in other places I've seen posts and threads deleted that didn't fit with the "politics" of the forum owners. I'm grateful for the free thinking atmosphere here and the comedy that can ensue.

I saw one of your Dog's breed bark down a Grizzly a few years ago while the Corilean [Spelling?] Bear dog hid under the porch. That's great for you in a town like Boulder with hooligans like Reminisence, Go Blue and Snowpeak running around.

I used to be REALLY disappointed with the magazine but have seen changes that have engaged me more and more and have come to appreciate it a great deal. Great luck to you,

John

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 21
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for your hard work, Jon, and congrats on the new position.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 22
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jondorn @ Feb. 22 2013, 7:21 am)
At least when I'm out hiking I can be young and dumb again, and not worry about the repercussions of a newspaper headline like, "Backpacker editor arrested for booby-trapping illegal ORVers camp with poison ivy."

That sounds like reason enough in itself. :)

All the best Jon, and yeah, do come by Pickle Gulch again in September!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So is this a "I'm leaving the forums!" thread? If so it could use some more asterisks.

Good luck. I love you too.
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's just leaving so he's no longer bound by his professional status, and can tell all us jack***es around here what he really thinks of us.  :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[Obligatory digital snobbery] Wait: there's a magazine? [/Obligatory digital snobbery]

Oh, like 97.4% of you weren't thinking the same thing.
 Post Number: 26
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations on the promotion.

I have always appreciated your input in the print magazine.  Best of luck with your new endeavor and please don't forget your roots.

BTW, Does this mean you will have to move?
 Post Number: 27
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard he has to move to Grand Junction.

What's a magazine?
 Post Number: 28
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 22 2013, 8:33 am)
He's just leaving so he's no longer bound by his professional status, and can tell all us jack***es around here what he really thinks of us.  :D

Ut oh.  :laugh:

Congrats Jon. Good luck to you. Stop in once in awhile, kay?

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 29
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, Jon, thanks for all you've done, and keep up the great work into your future.  Isn't life's journey fascintating?  A big congrats to you!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 30
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya done good.  Thanks.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
53 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 10:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A love letter to all my forum friends
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions