2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How to Set Up Your Tent in the Rain< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
John13np Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 3:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A frined of mine shared this with me, thought y'all might enjoy this one!

Have you ever tried to set up your tent in the rain? It’s not fun, especially when you are backpacking. After the first (and last!) time I got the inside of my tent soaked trying to set it up in the rain, I was determined to find an easy, lightweight solution. It was simple once I thought about it, and I’d like to share my solution with you.

Note: This will work with any tent that clips onto the pole assembly and has a separate rain fly that covers the tent. Sorry, tents with poles threading through sleeves will require another solution.

At home before you go backpacking:

You will need:
A length of lightweight line (whatever you use to hang food will suffice)
A hole punch (paper punch, leather punch, hammer & nail - whatever works)
A lighter and a pencil

1. Set up your tent. Take a length of line and tie a knot in the string. Slip the knot over one of the tent poles and continue to each corner yielding a string in the same shape as the bottom of your tent.

2. Punch a hole in each of the rain fly straps, just big enough for your tent pole terminals to go through. However you punch it, finish the hole by applying a flame and poke a pencil through it to smooth the edges.That’s it, your solution is ready to use.

Here’s how to set it up on the trail:

1. Lay the string assembly on the ground in the shape of your tent.

2. Set up your pole assembly using the string instead of your tent to support it.

3. Put up the rain fly by slipping the pole terminals into the holes you made in the fly straps.

4. Stake out the vestibule(s) as required to allow you to get under the rain fly to set up the tent.

5. Crawl under the rain fly, lay out your ground cloth and tent. Carefully remove each back corner fly strap and replace with the tent corner (grommet or other tent pole holder).

6. Hook the tent to the poles as you work your way to the front. Get inside the tent to attach the two front corners.

7. Attach the remaining hooks and you are finished, with (hopefully) a dry tent interior to bring your slightly wet gear into.

--------------
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list"

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The other way of course is to buy a tent that can be set up in the rain (keeping the inside dry) as it is....
I have several of those tents and yes I do set them up in the rain.
Next time it rains I'll set one up shooting a video clip doing that, I'd like to see you doing it your way.
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We need a video, Franco.  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just set up my tarp first and then set up my tent under it and then move it to where I want the tent to be and stake it down.  Both the tent and myself stay dry during set up.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 24 2013, 1:30 pm)
I just set up my tarp first and then set up my tent under it and then move it to where I want the tent to be and stake it down.  Both the tent and myself stay dry during set up.

How do you 'stay dry' when you're already soaking wet from setting up your tarp?   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When it rains, I get wet. It's part of the adventure.

I setup my tent (always keeping it near the top of my pack or in a place I can pull it out while keeping everything else dry. I setup the tent and then put my pack inside so I can take stuff out while keeping it dry.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
John13np Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 24 2013, 2:08 pm)
The other way of course is to buy a tent that can be set up in the rain (keeping the inside dry) as it is....
I have several of those tents and yes I do set them up in the rain.
Next time it rains I'll set one up shooting a video clip doing that, I'd like to see you doing it your way.

I actually haven’t used this method of setting up yet, I just thought it sounded interesting. I might give it a shot sometime, just haven’t decided yet.

I agree with Tigger for the most part, when it rains, you get wet. However, I do not enjoy setting up in a heavy downpour which I have encountered many times in the SW. The tent always gets wet on the inside, and well, everyone can say that’s no fun

--------------
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list"

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

Post Number: 8
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I am going to be in rain, I almost always take a light weight silnylon tarp.  I set up the tarp first and then set up my tent under the tarp.  Then I move it to where it will ultimately sit and stake it out.  Very easy!  When it comes time to leave, I move the tent back under the tarp and take it down.  I use the tarp to cook under out of the rain and it is nice to sit there without having to be in the tent.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 9
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2. Set up your pole assembly using the string instead of your tent to support it.

These steps assume a tent style that uses clips to hold the tent to the poles.  It would not work for my tent.  The poles go through sleeves in the tent.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easy set up - rain or shine:

o  hybrid design eliminates inner tent exposure to rain.
o  cross pole and clip design makes quick work of set up

Big Sky Mirage 2P.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pull out the siltarp, string up, set up tent underneath. When I lived in OR and WA, BPing in the rain a lot, I'd leave the tarp up to keep the tent drier for packing up in the morning. It also gives me a place to cook and eat out of the rain.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had the 35 ounce Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 now for 3 summers so will comment on setting that up.  The main tent is sort of free standing but the fly requires staking.  Uses clips to attach tent to two poles so do not waste time pushing poles through tent sleeving that in rain has potential to bind up.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL1

Don't be the fool that gets some where and then while raining starts unpacking gear from their pack and setting their up tent without carefully thinking through what they need to do.

while raining find a reasonably nice dry spot under dense trees or an overhanging rock near where I might tent.  Such may dictate where I will tent even if it was not where I hoped to and even if the surface is less than even and ideal.  May require checking topo for cliff areas in destination as that is where largest talus blocks that may have overhangs or can get beneath, are often below base of cliffs.  Also may need to evaluate where densest forest is even if at timberline.  Look for driest areas below trees during rain.

Take off pack rain cover.  Use side of ground sheet intended to be against ground to cover all gear removed from pack in order to not catch likely minor dripping through tree branches.

Get all tenting stuff out of backpack then out of stuff sacks.  

Carefully consider everything needed in tent including food, water, and night stuff.  

Get out stuff sack for sleeping bag and Neoair pad. 

Put all gear that will go into tent into spare stuff sack next to sleeping bag.  

Getting out large garbage bag for inside tent I will push wet gear like rain clothes into.  

Put pack rain cover back onto pack with remaining gear not needed in tent.

Untie shoe laces so can remove boots fast.  

Think about what I am gone to do step by step.

Set up free standing inner tent beneath tree as best possible then add fly.  Put fly stakes in pocket.

When lull in rain comes carry ground sheet and tent to tenting spot.

Work fast staking fly and moving all gear inside tent,

Jump into vestibule, sit in entrance, remove boots and wet rain pants, tops.

Get inside tent, put wet stuff inside garbage bag.

Get into warm sleeping bag, get out cooking gear.

Make pot of hot chicken soup.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a 15-oz tarp.  I pull it out of the side pocket of my pack without unpacking anything else (it's the size of a 20-oz soda bottle), set it up, toss the pack in and set up under the shelter underneath.

Works for me.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

70% chance of rain tomorrow
70% chance of me shooting a video clip...
I can do a TT Scarp/Notch/Rainbow/Moment/Contrail/StratoSpire 2 ...
Any one of those you prefer ?
(I can  set up "dry inside"any Tarptent....)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mind you, under heavy rain it is almost impossible to set up any shelter "dry inside", the trick is to minimise rain ingress.
I usually have a kitchen cloth inside the tent for just such occasions.

I stated that having in mind that in one of my videos I have the Contrail up on a night when we got 4" of rain.
Now some will say it isn't much , however it is (in one night) if you are out camping..
Anyway , the next day I got into the tent and there was inside the floor  a 1" long (not as wide)  "puddle" about 2 rain drops that night.
Someone found that "puddle" to be off putting, on the other hand to me that was a  pretty good result .
So depends  on exactly what one expects.
 Post Number: 16
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Franco, I vote for the Notch.  I like the look of that tent and have heard great experiences about it from owners.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can also setup your tent under a big tree, then move it in one piece, or you can throw the rain fly over the top of the tent and then set it up.  YMMV depending on the type of tent.

I don't think there is a "one-fits-all" solution.
 Post Number: 18
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just set mine up as fast as possible and wipe up any stray globs of water with a rag.
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We got caught in a heavy downpour in Glacier NP just as we reached camp--completely in the open, no trees around.  We huddled in the krumholtz a while hoping it would stop, but people were getting cold (I was pretty worried about getting chilled, as I was just done with the antibiotics for my pneumonia!), so we had to do something.  We got the boys' tent up very dry by having them hold the fly (not super easy as it was gusty) over us while we assembled the tent, then lowered the fly.  They were unwilling to do the same for our tent :p (well, Eldest Son was getting pretty close to hypothermic) so we didn't do quite as well, but were still able to sort of spread the fly over it and get the poles in place and kept the interior pretty dry.

Tarps, etc., wouldn't have helped, as there was nothing to attach them to.
Knowing your tent well so you can set it up in a minute or so is pretty key.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 25 2013, 10:48 am)
Knowing your tent well so you can set it up in a minute or so is pretty key.

Yeah, that's what's worked for me.  I took my friend Sonya on her first backpacking trip and she had gotten the same tent as me, a Eureka Spitfire.  When we got to camp it had started to rain, and looked like it was only going to get worse.  So we took off our packs, covered them with their pack cover, and carefully pulled out our tents.  We put the tent underneath the rain fly and I helped set up hers first, then I did mine, as quickly as possible.  That ended up working just fine :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 21
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With Rebecca and spindle.

Practice and a rag.

And don't put the bag or quilt down until it is mostly not as damp.

Sit under a poncho staked out like a 1 person shelter. Make some coffee or tea and wait a bit and see if it'll let up a little.
 Post Number: 22
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been meaning to try this:

Materials and measurement
1) Buy 3/4" webbing
2) Set up tent as normal (in dry conditions)
3) Turn tent over
4) Cut webbing to length to the diagonals (X pattern), punching a hole were pole tips are.
5) Disassemble tent.

Setup
1) Place webbing in X pattern, place pole tips in holes and erect.
2) Place fly over frame
3) Unpack tent from bag, place over the webbing, secure corners, and clip from back foward

In addition to keeping the tent dry, it would also allow me to just use the fly without the tent.

Note: I have a rectangular tent, with criss-crossing poles that are already "attached" at the center within a plastic mould.

http://www.ems.com/product....2946247

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 25 2013, 11:19 am)
Buy 3/4" webbing... Place webbing in X pattern...

Just thinking out loud.. half-inch webbing in a "perimeter and X" pattern.  To save weight, you might even consider cutting out the pattern with nylon or silnylon, plus grommets at the corners.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 24
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Feb. 25 2013, 2:33 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Feb. 25 2013, 11:19 am)
Buy 3/4" webbing... Place webbing in X pattern...

Just thinking out loud.. half-inch webbing in a "perimeter and X" pattern.  To save weight, you might even consider cutting out the pattern with nylon or silnylon, plus grommets at the corners.

Good idea. :cool: It would also serve as a floor sans tent, or as a groundcover with the tent. I'll try it tonight with an old drop cloth to see how it works.

Use #3: Indoor fort for the kids.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are a couple of video clips I shot this morning just to demonstrate that setting up in the rain can be done without too much trouble if you have the right type of shelter.
Unfortunately in the US the term tent is used to denote the inner so tents are often designed to have that bit up first then you add the rain fly.
Not a good idea when it rains...
Sorry I don't know how to embed the video here.
This is the Tarptent Scarp1 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXCBKGFGNA&feature=youtu.be
and this is the Tarptent Notch :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....index=2

BTW, I was not trying particularly hard to do my best....
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOW!!  Videoing tent setup in the rain at 5:45AM -- that's dedication, Franco!!

Now it makes perfect sense -- and actually similar to how I would approach mine as well (we both have one-piece tents that make setup much easier).

One very minor suggestion:  to reduce rain-exposure time -- pull out and configure your tent poles first before spreading/laying out the tent.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I learned how to setup in the rain on my first multi night backpack, setup a tarp or rain cover, setup tent under it. boom.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kind of funny (to me) that you need a rain cover for a tent that is supposed to be your rain cover

Ben
We have not had rain for sometime so I made the most of it. it then rained for several hours...
 Post Number: 29
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:57 pm)
Kind of funny (to me) that you need a rain cover for a tent that is supposed to be your rain cover

Ben
We have not had rain for sometime so I made the most of it. it then rained for several hours...

You know you could have done the demo even if it wasn't raining. . . ;)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The day before I shot those two clips, I rigged up the water hose to simulate rain.
I got a bit over enthusiastic ending up with a storm simulation.
it was sunny ,hot and windy so the all thing looked a bit weird.
Nevertheless I went trough the simulation  setting up the Moment.
Once I got into the shelter the floor was peppered with small drips but nothing that a quick wipe would not
Unfortunately as I entered the tent I also hit the on/off button on the camera (inside a plastic bag) making the whole exercise totally useless...
Anyway I want it to show what happens in reality not in theory or "simulating"
Now I would love to see someone set up one of those inner first shelters under real rain , just to compare...
(in one continuous shot, not the best of....)
29 replies since Feb. 24 2013, 3:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How to Set Up Your Tent in the Rain
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions